Share your songs!
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi folks,

Just thought I would post this up on here for thoughts and opinions.

Last year my covers band started introducing click tracks for keyboards, synths etc on a few tracks in the set. The live band line-up is, 2 guitars, bass, drums, lead singer. Me and the other guitarist also sing backing vox. The idea behind it was to open up our options for new material, and to move towards a more pro sound if you will.

Gradually we introduced a few more tracks each gig to the point where now we have over 60 tracks in the bag.

So far it's worked really well and the feedback we have received from clients and venues has been overwhelmingly positive, with many saying it's enhanced our sound and made us sound a lot bigger and professional.

Anyway with the tracks well embedded into the set now, I have been given the task of producing a recording to go on our Facebook page as well as our Website. No pressure!!

The consensus in the band was rather than have full songs as audio examples, it would be best to have a montage of songs in one long clip, with fade ins and outs.

The attached recording was taken from a recent gig using our Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 desk, recorded using Presonus Capture then edited and re-mixed / mastered using Presonus Studio one.

Any opinions and advice on the mix and general sound would be greatly appreciated.

I think it's a good idea to get opinions from other sets of ears, before I commit to putting it up on our Facebook page and website.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/arq41aprx5dhpgl/Halston Montage Mastered.mp3?dl=0
by alexjason on Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:41 am
Hi,

First please understand that I am not an audio engineer or even a skilled Studio One user. I am a beginner. I stumble along with all this. So, I may not really know what I am commenting about. But I can give you my impressions as someone who listens to music -- and who has discovered at least one trick that might be of interest to you.

Thoughts:

I listened to the mp3. I think your band is very good. Really talented. Good vocals. Liked the horns and the other background instruments. Really liked "Soul Man" -- great drums and guitar and vocals.

One thing I noticed was that the audio seemed "weak" -- not your band but the audio. I downloaded the mp3 and tried something with Studio One. I loaded the file into a track and then -- in the Mix Fx, I added a "Post" fx, "Fatten Things Up" (see attached image). I compared the sound with the fx turned on and off. I think it made the audio much better. Much brighter and fuller. I suggest you try this and see what you think.

Keep in mind that I'm sure there are better ways to give the audio a "punch". This "Fatten" fx is just something I recently discovered.

Attachments
Fatten Things.png

-- Alex Jason
by Fader Rat on Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:11 pm
Did you put the tracks together in Studio One? Is the whole band on in ears ?

OSX High Sierra, 2013 IMac, 8GB, 1TB, Studio One 5 Pro
BLA modded Digi 002 rack
BLA Auteur Preamp
BLA B12A preamp
Apogee 24/48 converter
Glyph, OWC, external drives
by sirmonkey on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:19 pm
Sounds like good clean recording to me. The lead vocal needs to come up front more (to my ears). When the background vocals come in, the balance sounds pretty good. But when the backing vocals aren't there, the lead singer is pushed to the back. I would also put delay on the lead vocal, using a technique in this video:www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8N0LlJkzQg (Start at about 1:35)

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by kennedydream on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:29 am
Fader Rat wroteDid you put the tracks together in Studio One? Is the whole band on in ears ?

Tracks were put together in Studio one, other than the bass player the whole band is on in ears.
by kennedydream on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:30 am
sirmonkey wroteSounds like good clean recording to me. The lead vocal needs to come up front more (to my ears). When the background vocals come in, the balance sounds pretty good. But when the backing vocals aren't there, the lead singer is pushed to the back. I would also put delay on the lead vocal, using a technique in this video:www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8N0LlJkzQg (Start at about 1:35)

There is a slap back delay on the vocal, although it's very subtle. The lead singer has a thing about not being to present in the mix, so it's purposefully mixed that way.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1