Share your songs!
24 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
New song recorded with Studio one and Studiolive 16.0,2.
Master mix is made with Toontrack Easymix.Testing SE electronics X1 mike on accoustic. And first recing of my first Fender Stratocaster.
https://soundcloud.com/toams67/earthsong-11

Presonus Studio one 2.62, Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2, Presonus Firestudiomobile, Windows 7 . Intel core I5 3,30GHz 8Gb Ram
by zzskhg on Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:51 am
I think you can call the mic test on the acoustic a success - it sounds full with a nice bright top end.

The reverb overall is too heavy for me, and the mix could use a few tweaks. I'd probably start with the drum fills though - there's some noticeable timing issues.

I assume it's a live recording from your post... I also struggle with keeping live drums in time. Are all the parts played against a click track? If so, quantize might help salvage the drum fills.

Windows 10 home, i7 quad core, 16 gig ram, studio 192, faderport 8, jbl lsr305 monitors. S1v3.2 pro.
by scottyo7 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:10 am
Overall I like this. I like the melody and mix. ;)
I'm mainly a guitarist so I'm a sucker for this stuff.

It might be a bit on the repetative side. :roll:
I agree with zzskhg that there is a bit too much reverb or time shift on the acoustics... causing a near pitch/tune artifact.

The snare needs a bit more volume and highs to get it to pop, snap, etc..

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by toams67 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:03 pm
Thank's for the feedback. I'm a keyboard player trying to learn to play the guitarr. :D Timing has always been my weak side. It's totally impossible for me to play to a click. I must start with the drums.
Drums are presets and midi from XLN Audio Addictive drums. Also I was growing up in the 80'ies when everything should have huge reverbs. :lol: Maybe I do a new dryer mix later on.

Presonus Studio one 2.62, Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2, Presonus Firestudiomobile, Windows 7 . Intel core I5 3,30GHz 8Gb Ram
by sirmonkey on Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:47 pm
I really like this song! Since it's just under 3 minutes, I don't find it too repetitive, personally. And I really like the "break" that's around 1:58 (I think that's where it is).

I can understand the comment about the drum timing, but I love it as is. For example, right at :57, there's a quick roll of the snares that isn't absolutely perfect. I really like that- I would never notice that without my critics' hat on. But even so, I like the human-ness...I would leave it as is.

Going to personal taste (again), I suggest that the lead guitar come up a tiny bit. Maybe the less reverb suggestion would suffice....reverb seems to decrease perceived volume on guitars, to my ears. I think the reverb actually sounds fine, but maybe a small amount less would bring the lead guitar out front a little.

Great song! And if I heard this on the radio, I wouldn't even think to pick at anything, actually.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by toams67 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:05 pm
Thank you sirmonkey !
I'm a newbie and have alot to learn in recording, mixing and mastering. Creating song's just for the fun in it.

by timmorris on Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:14 pm
I like it ...its a little busy on guitars but thats fine..

Yes a bit heavy on the reverb, sounds like a live stadium recording !

I would reconfigure it a bit, then add some vocals , it would make a nice track.

Good job :thumbup:

Presonus 16.4.2 - Mac mini 2.3G i7, 16G Ram, Faderport - S1 -3 Pro
Novation Impulse 49 - Yamaha HS7 - Kemper Profiler -
SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.
by toams67 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:17 pm
Vocals will be a big problem.. My singingvoice is no good. :)

by tomasfornstedt on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:13 am
This is great song!

Nice and full acoustics.

For me, it's a little heavy on the reverb (as mentioned). I think the melody should have more space in the mix as well. Other than that it's a really good sounding tune and mix.

About the timing issues, in my experience it can sometimes be misleading to use AD presets as "metronome" since they often are not quantized. It might help to duplicate the drum track, quantize them hard and use that as your timing base and then fall back to the first one.

Web: http://tompawebb.se
Studio One Pro 3.1.1 x64, MOTU Ultralite, PC Build (Case: Fractal Design Define R4, Power-Supply: 630w be quiet, CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz, RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600, OS drive: Sandisk SSD 250 GB Ultra Plus SATA 6Gb/s 2.5", Audio drive: 3TB HD, Operating System: Windows 10 x64), M-Audio BX5 monitors, M-Audio Axiom 61, Alesis QS6, ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD-570, RØDE NT1-A, Electric guitars: Ibanez RG470, Shaftesbury Les Paul, Acoustic guitars: SX65 Jumbo, Fender CD60, AMP: JJ Labs GSH-100S + 4x12"
by Crushed on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:53 pm
I agree about too much reverb. But something wrong with the rhythm section. The drums aren't playing together with another instruments. I was feeling discomfort during listening this song. I think you should add a drums first and play with it. Not with a metronome. Or you can set a drums groove like a quantization parameter and fix all instruments with this groove though... :roll:
by toams67 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:03 pm
Thank's tomas ! I have to geat red of my bad habit's with the reverb .. :D
About the presets of AD I will test you'r advise, I think that you have a good point there.

by Bbd on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:13 pm
It's really nice. I think the drums are on and the guitars are really rushing the beat. Could use some tightening up.
Love the acoustic tones.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by toams67 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:13 pm
Bbd wroteIt's really nice. I think the drums are on and the guitars are really rushing the beat. Could use some tightening up.
Love the acoustic tones.

Yes, that's my timing problem! :( I get exited when playing and rushes. That's why I can't play to clicktrack at all. I totally looses focus on the click. I have never had any luck on trying to quantize guitarr so I don't know if it's even possible. I guess I have to practice playing to get better on timing.
The drumtrack is also in some parts in backbeat and some ghost notes on the snare that I could not get to cut thru in the mix.

by Bbd on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:09 pm
Next time you are recording your guitar to a drum track, let the drums pull you. Don't push them. You can experiment with how far you let the drums pull you along.
Then, for practice, start rushing the drums. After a while, you will see when you fit right in the pocket.
It is just practicing with certain things in mind.
You will improve quickly. Just realizing it is the biggest first step.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by toams67 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:24 pm
Bbd wroteNext time you are recording your guitar to a drum track, let the drums pull you. Don't push them. You can experiment with how far you let the drums pull you along.
Then, for practice, start rushing the drums. After a while, you will see when you fit right in the pocket.
It is just practicing with certain things in mind.
You will improve quickly. Just realizing it is the biggest first step.

I'm 48 years old so you know what they say about old dogs.. :D Anyway, I played keyboards in different bands when I was young and the drummers always complain't of me speeding up the tempo.... :roll: I haven't played at all for over 15 year's but now since a couple of years I'm back at It. It's so fun but still struggle with rushing things up.. I think beause I'm not a good guitarrplayer also makes me loose focus on tempo, I have to focus more to get the notes right.
Thank you so much for you're advise !

25 years it was me not playing any instruments.
Last edited by toams67 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Bbd on Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:23 pm
48 years old is NOT OLD my friend!
;)
Music is so great for young and old alike. I think it helps keep us young not matter.
Sounds like you are having fun and your song is good. With a little more care at the tracking stage, your stuff is gonna really shine!

Bbd

by toams67 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:42 pm
I've mixed the song in headphenes ... I've notised some really difference in what way you listned to the song.. In headphone timimng problem is not so bad... But they still are. Thinking of new drumtrack without ghost notes and backbeat...

by toams67 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:20 pm
Bbd wrote48 years old is NOT OLD my friend!
;)
Music is so great for young and old alike. I think it helps keep us young not matter.
Sounds like you are having fun and your song is good. With a little more care at the tracking stage, your stuff is gonna really shine!

Yes, having alot of fun to he the price of that's moore than of a 75 % off ! for equitment when last enjoied the pleasure of recording. The equitment I have today should back then at least cost 20,000 euro. Now It's like 2000..... :D This Forum and Soundcloud is f****ng awesome for me .. Meeting people from all over the world and getting feedback and nice and constructive conversations is awesome..
Thank you all

by sirmonkey on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:13 pm
At first i didn't notice the guitar being early, but now I hear it. But I don't think you're early for the entire song.
Anyway, maybe when you record a guitar track, try turning the volume of the drums up...just above what you think is optimal volume. This works for some people.

* Another note: I never play against a click track. They seem to stifle any creativity that I have. I always compose and record against a drum track. I play and compose a lot better that way.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by toams67 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:44 pm
New mix is up... Nothing done about timimg issues. Cleaned out the reverbs and tweaked EQ on the bass after a tip from tomasfornstedt.
https://soundcloud.com/toams67/earthson ... al-version
Thank you all for good tips and feedback !

24 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2