Routers, Switches, Cabling, Access Points, Repeaters, etc all discussed here
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi.

I have a setup with SL64S + 2x NSB16.8 networked together through SW5E using cat6 cables.
The mixer is set as FOH, one NSB is as i/o at stage and the other as i/o in serverrack for end broadcast setup.

In this setup, the NSB in server rack is always powered on, NSB at stage and mixer are turned off daily.

Are there any possible problem with this? Are there any recommendations in which order should the hardware be powered on?

EDIT: typos
by SwitchBack on Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:02 am
What about the SW5E? Is that always on? I prefer to have the networked stuff up and running before switching on the mixer, so that the mixer doesn’t look for alternative I/O routing options. But it’s a simple experiment to check if the mixer reverts to NSB routing when they come online after the mixer. Without the SW5E I think it does. Don’t know how it is with a switch involved.
by wahlerstudios on Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:26 pm
The NSB stageboxes have no own processing, which could somehow disturb, so the power on/off constellations do not really matter. But what matters is the mixer as "heart" and "clock" of the network. You will always have to check if the stageboxes follow the mixer after they have connected (blue LEDs). It happens that AVB settings (network input and output streams) get lost or are not getting completely recalled as you would expect. The SW5E is unproblematical. It just passes signals when switched on...
by stremiaoy on Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:33 am
Sorry for late reply.

SW5E is always on.
We have experienced a connection loss to NSB's but that was my fault for setting the mixer to network clock. Now it is internal, as I understand it should be.
by michaelmsmith.7 on Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:10 am
Hi. Do you still use this same configuration? We have been powering off both the 64s and the 2 NSB32s since we purchased them and have found that the system usually requires that we boot up a second time to get things connected properly. Looking for a solution.
by kevinmcphail on Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:43 pm
We have that same issue, Series 3 mixer and 32.16 stagebox. Every time we need to power cycle box and board twice to get it to work properly. Still waiting on a fix...
by wahlerstudios on Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:03 am
The situation is unclear regarding the new 32.16 NSB stageboxes. There are several problems known and it even goes so far that brandnew stageboxes needed to be replaced. Not repaired, replaced! Of course there is no offical comment from the manufacturer side and there is also no 'fix', so here are some tips how to find out if the stagebox can work or if it needs to be replaced (under warranty).

The NSB stageboxes are designed to work with a sample rate of 48 kHz, so you have to make sure that each stagebox is set to this sample rate. Just connect mixer and (one) stagebox via Ethernet cable and toggle sample rate. Then power the stagebox off, so that it can start in the 48 kHz setting again. And, NEVER change sample rate again! You will have to repeat the procedure everytime sample rate was changed. The reboot of mixer and stagebox has to do with the sample rate. It simply makes mixer and stagebox use the same sampel rate. There is another method to do this via AVDECC, but not everybody has access to that and knows what to do.

A factory reset of the stagebox has also proved to be effective. Just press and hold the Mute button when the stagebox starts. You will need to install the latest firmware then, so get everything ready for the install ready BEFORE you do the reset.

Cable type, cable length and connectors/ports also have to be considered. One of the problems of the 16.8 and 8.8 stageboxes are the added Ethernet ports, when the stageboxes are rack mounted. This has proved to be one reason for dropouts (connection/network interruptions). The 32.16 stagebox does not have this specific problem.

The blue LED on the front panel is an important indicator for the network connection AND the network sync aka clock, because it indicates that the mixer is clocking the stagebox. When the LED turns green, the connection is still there, but the clock is gone, so there will be dropouts.

Starting mixer first or stagebox(es) first is also always part of the discussion. Basically it should not matter what starts first, because when the mixer boots up, it 'demands' to be the clock of the network.

I hope this helps. I don't use NSB stageboxes, so I can only follow the discussion (in the Facebook groups), ask questions and write down the answers I get.

If none of the steps mentioned help to make the 32.16 stagebox work reliably, you should either open a Support ticket or return the stagebox to your shop. Immediately.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1