Routers, Switches, Cabling, Access Points, Repeaters, etc all discussed here
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Would anyone here know if this AVB switch be compatible with the new StudioLive III series mixers on Windows?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AVBSwitch

It is still expensive at $400 but seems to be about the least expensive AVB solution I have seen so far (plus, Motu has just released updated Windows drivers).

I am new to the AVB world and just doing some investigation :reading: .

Thanks in advance!

p

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU = Intel Core i&-3770K CPU @ 3.5GHz
Ram = 32GB
Graphics = NVIDIA GeForce GT640
Displays = Acer T232HL & AOC 2429W
Studio One 5
StudioLive III 32
Focusrite Liquid 56
Focusrite ISA428
dBX 161s
Universal Audio 6176
Allen&Heath GL3000
by matthewseymour on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:35 am
Yes, afaik the MOTU AVB switch remains the only "affordable" small AVB compatible switch available at the moment.

However, you mention windows... which doesn't currently have native support for AVB, so you'd just be passing control data and no audio, in which case you don't need AVB and any old switch will do.... if you even need a switch at all. You could try just plugging it in directly and seeing if it will let you do what you want.

If you're trying to record audio, then you either need to use a Mac, use a super expensive windows compatible AVB soundcard, or use USB for the audio.
by douglyons on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:06 am
I'm confused Matthew, and very very new to AVB.

Do you mean that I can't talk to my new StudioLive series 3 mixer and use the extended channels beyond the USB number with my HP Windows 8.1 laptop running Studio 1 Artist?
I thought since my laptop has ethernet port, I could plug a cat5 cable into the mixer and they'don't talk. And when I got the money, I could eliminate the copper snake going from stage to FoH mixer by using an input box on stage that could pass all microphone & line inputs to mixer and all main, matrix and monitor mixes back to stage with just a simple cat5 ether net cable...no more snake?

What did I miss?

PreSonus StudioOne 3 Pro with many 3rd party plug-ins and sample sounds
PreSonus StudioLive Series III 32-channel mixer and AudioBox 22 VSL interface
HP Envy w/AMD A10 2.5GHz 5750M APU w/Radeon HD Graphics, 64-bit, 16 GB RAM
LaCie 3 TB 7200 rpm external HD
Condenser mics: Roswell mini K47, AKG C214, (2) Rode NT5
Dynamic Mics: Heil PR35, Shure SM57, Heil PR28, Sennheiser e604, Sennheiser e601 II, Audio-Technica ATM230
dbx 1231 graphic eq
Monitors: PreSonus Eris E5, PreSonus Temblor T10 Subwoofer, and Alesis M1Active 320 USB.
by matthewgorman on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:49 am
I don't think you missed anything. Not all the components are out yet. There are stage boxes coming for the Series 3 mixers. I am not sure if the Motu switch will be needed. On the back of the mixer, there are 2 ethernet ports, one for audio, and one for control. For a simple stage box config, you may be able to connect the stagebox direct to the mixer via cat 5-6 and not need the router.

If you are looking to 3rd party stageboxes, the Motu may be needed for that, but I don't have enough details at this time to confirm what would be supported and how it would work.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by matthewseymour on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:56 am
You can't take audio into a windows PC over AVB. It may be at some point in the future but would require compatible hardware/drivers even when the OS supports it. For me, this falls into the category of things you can't do so don't be thinking about the capability 'coming soon' because it isn't.

I think you're stuck with USB being the only PC audio interface available right now.

Macs have had native AVB capability for a little while. It may be that you can get an affordable second hand mac-mini that will let you access all the AVB networked audio goodness. In principle you shouldn't need an AVB switch in this configuration as you only have two devices... but AVB is a crapshoot imho and who knows how it's actually been implemented.

There's currently no AVB stagebox available for the series 3. That is 'coming in the future' but you just have to assume they don't and will never exist, until maybe one day they do.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1