Routers, Switches, Cabling, Access Points, Repeaters, etc all discussed here
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Question: I have internet through my cable company. I bought a router to use specifically for my new Studiolive RM 32ai. My question is this: How do I set up the second router? Do I just plug it into my 32ai? Do I just plug it in to any available ethernet port in my house to set it up? Or do I need to disconnect the cable modem I have from the cable company, and connect the router to that modem? I'm not a computer geek, so this is confusing for me. Will I mess up all the cable connections if I disconnect my cable supplier modem? Not sure how to go about this????? Help would be appreciated!!
by matthewgorman on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:30 pm
Depends on if you want internet access from that router. If you do, you take an ethernet cable from the home router into any of the jacks on the mixer router EXCEPT for the wan port. Before you do this, however, you need to configure the router as an access point, and turn off dchp. Consult your documentation for your router to access the router configuration page.

If you dont want/need internet, just set it up as an independant network with no internet. Depending on the router, it may be as simple as turning it on and plugging in the pc, and mixer. Then access the mixer via ipad and iphone through the wireless signal on that router.

Just come back here with questions if it starts getting more involved than tou are comfortable with.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by doyleletson on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:43 pm
Thanks for the help.
I did set up the router to function without Internet. I gave it a secure username and password. Unfortunately, I have still had issues with connecting it to my iPad. Not sure why??
by summitcn on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:54 am
If you plug your 2nd router's WAN port into one of the cable company router's LAN ports, you will get internet on your 2nd router as well. Double NAT works fine on new routers so doing this will allow you to use your router to connect to the mixer, while still giving that private network access to the internet.
by doyleletson on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:27 am
That's what I did to set it up. But I won't have that at a show, so I connected them like it would be at a show, and cannot get the iPad to recognize the router in UC Surface? It connects to the router, but when I open Surface, it says it is looking for devices??
by matthewgorman on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:03 am
How is the mixer connected to the router? Make sure that the router is fully powered on and booted. Then power on the mixer with a connection via ethernet to the router, and do the same for the PC/MAC with a wired connection. Use wired for now since we are troubleshooting. You can get tricky with wireless down the road

I have a feeling that you are looking on the wireless tab expecting to see the ipad? That tab is for the wireless dongle for the RM. You will get the "looking for devices" message there forever if the wireless dongle is not in the mixer. I wouldn't use the wireless dongle on the mixer unless you have to. Wired connections are more reliable.

Now with the mixer hooked up to the router and the proper ip assignment, you connect the ipad to that router, and you should be able to connect to the mixer via the ipad. You may have to go into the settings in UCS from the computer, and give permission to the ipad to connect. I believe the default passcode is 12345.

If none of this works you may want to open a support ticket. At a bare minimum, we can help here, but we will need detailed information on what is being used in the system, and how everything is hooked up. Also, the version of UCS for ipad, UCS for the computer, and firmware for the mixer. Tech support will also ask for this information.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

6 posts
Page 1 of 1