Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
28 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Interesting. Im curious about what different manufactures offer within their stageboxes. For example. Behringer offers a 16 channel stagebox equipped for Dante for $750. Yamaha on the other hand offers their stagebox 32 channel for about $3500. I understand it is not Dante, but some other technology. So, I assume the Yamaha must have the controllable preamps and the Behringer does not? This would certainly be one reason for such a wide price difference. The question then comes to mind what is Presonus up to for their stagebox? Controllable preamps or not? Price? I know one thing, they need to hurry up with whatever they are working on. This Behringer X32 is selling for about $2500 and is equipped for Dante and they offer a 16 channel stagebox for $750. New buyers will be looking VERY hard at Behringer as opposed to Presonus for these reasons.
by SwitchBack on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:26 am
Quality comes at a price. Every digital stage box must have preamps and ADCs. Keeping in mind that those components play a decisive role in the audio quality you get to work with, you may want to try before you buy. B. is charging you $40 per input. Just saying...
by roblof on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:08 am
The behringer x32 stagebox isn't using dante for its communication. It is using the klark teknik aes50/supermac protocol that is being used by the midas brand of mixers. It is a point-to-point communication while dante is point-to-multipoint. This means big differences in their implementations.

In that supermac protocol remote preamp control is spec'ed so the mixer can in this case actually control the stagebox preamp from a remote location.

Since that stagebox isn't running dante you can't connect it to e.g. a studiolive equiped with dante.

There are several 'standards' for digital audio distribution out there and converters exist to translate between them. However those converters are VERY expensive! This is where the aes67/avb standard comes in...

Behringer Wing, iMac late 2015, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, x32 with Dante/aes67, x32-rack with Dante/aes67, s16 and sd16 stageboxes, p16 monitor system, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Motör 61, BCR-2000, StudioLive 24, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, Studio One Pro v4, Notion 6, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, Halion 6, Nuendo 10, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reaper 4, misc Line6 gear/software, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha 02r.....
by roblof on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
SwitchBack wroteQuality comes at a price. Every digital stage box must have preamps and ADCs. Keeping in mind that those components play a decisive role in the audio quality you get to work with, you may want to try before you buy. B. is charging you $40 per input. Just saying...

This is true if you calculate from the full price soley with the inputs only in mind. However one ought to count all the i/o against the full price in my opinion.

That $750 stagebox has 16 analog inputs, 8 analog outputs so the price per channel becomes $30/channel.

In addition to the above you get 2 adat outputs (16 channels) and 1 ultranet output (16 channels) for the personal monitor system. Everything is seperatly routable.

This give us a total of 16 inputs and 40 outputs = $13/channel for this stagebox.

Behringer Wing, iMac late 2015, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, x32 with Dante/aes67, x32-rack with Dante/aes67, s16 and sd16 stageboxes, p16 monitor system, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Motör 61, BCR-2000, StudioLive 24, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, Studio One Pro v4, Notion 6, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, Halion 6, Nuendo 10, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reaper 4, misc Line6 gear/software, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha 02r.....
by SwitchBack on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:36 am
Not making it look any better for B.

The calculation was only meant as a ballpark quicky, assuming that the money was put where it counts regarding inputs (including sturdy sockets, phantom power, Input protection, ...). Compare with other options in the field, using either calculation, and money available for inputs is anywhere from a few dollars to 100+ dollars per channel. Still no guarantee that the money was actually put there with performance showing for it, but it does/should make you think twice before deciding that option X is the one.
by roblof on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:55 am
SwitchBack wroteNot making it look any better for B.

The calculation was only meant as a ballpark quicky, assuming that the money was put where it counts regarding inputs (including sturdy sockets, phantom power, Input protection, ...). Compare with other options in the field, using either calculation, and money available for inputs is anywhere from a few dollars to 100+ dollars per channel. Still no guarantee that the money was actually put there with performance showing for it, but it does/should make you think twice before deciding that option X is the one.

I'll bet that many said the same when presonus introduced the studiolive back in the days. 8-)

Technology moves on and so does the prices...

by SwitchBack on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:40 pm
True that, and I'm not discarding any of the options. Still, and in relation to more $$, there's only so much you can do with a dollar. :)
by seansauve on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:51 pm
Regarding not having gain control on a third party stage box, I can speak from my experiences with a Yamaha CL5 and Bose ESP Digital Digital Signal Processors, communicating over Dante. In this setup, the Yamaha console can not control the analog gain of the ESP, but it does have a digital gain that can control volumes - it is limited to a +24db digital gain, but can go as far negative as you want. Conversely, when using a Yamaha Rio1608 or Rio3224 stage box with the console, also over Dante, the console has both an analog and a digital gain control.

28 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2