Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a new RM16AI and CS18AI and will be using it for live sound and recording.
Small gigs, festivals. Rudimentry mostly software based recording.
The RM (rep demo) came with a dante card, it dosent appear to support the line returns/talkback and headphone feed to the CS controller. This is a problem for the small gigs I do.
I have the original card and I am considering putting it back in and selling the Dante card.
Am I missing something here?
by matthewgorman on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:22 pm
Tyhe only reason I can see for the Dante card in your situation would be computer connectivity. Most live engineers use a laptop to record the shows, and laptops have become very limited in their connectivity options. While the Dante card would prevent you using the I/O of the CS 18, in some instances it may present the only connectivity option. May be worth hanging on to it for backup reasons. You would need a Dante Virtual Souncard license to use it, but last I checked they only ran around $30 or so USD.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Karyn on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:25 am
What Matt said...

Plus... unless you can find a computer/laptop with FireWire then Dante is your only option for recording.

The lack of audio connection to the CS18 isn't actually as bad as it seems, because most things you would use it for (track playback from a FOH source, PFL) you can still do using a Dante connected laptop.
eg, you run pre-show tracks from a laptop at FOH into the analogue inputs of the CS18... Use Dante instead and send it direct to the RM digital inputs.

There are actually a whole host of reasons for keeping the Dante card as it provides connectivity to every other piece of audio gear on the planet that uses Dante. I have a $20,000 A&H system, the Dante card in my RM means I can use it as an extra 32 inputs... and the Dante card in my SL32.4.2ai means I can link that in as a monitor console.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:49 am
What Matt said...
What Karyn said...

Plus... ;-)

I would also recommend to NOT sell the Dante option card, because nobody knows if PreSonus will ever be able to repair the FireWire display lag. FireWire itself works great for recording (Capture, Studio One), but if you want to use UC Surface higher than version 1.8, forget WYSIWYG on your computer screen. An iPad or tablet does not have this display lag.

As you need "line returns/talkback and headphone feed to the CS controller", it is only AVB which can wake up the audio features of your CS18AI. Remember that you need an AVB switch and a dual band router to set up your network. If cascading might be a theme sometime, you should know that the PreSonus AVB switch has problems with cascading. For all other purposes it works fine.

The four audio inputs on the CS18AI do what they are supposed to do, but the line inputs appear on the mixer as digital return (DigRet) without processing. The alternative is to use inputs 3+4 and network channels 31+32.

The level of the headphone amp of the CS18AI is not suitable for live environments, so you will need an external headphone amplifier of any kind. If you happen to own an old Alesis iO Dock, use it as headphone amplifier and loading station for your iPad (1,2,3).

4 posts
Page 1 of 1