Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Has anyone tried cascading two SL32.4.2AI consoles via Firewire while a Dante card was installed in either or both consoles? I'm not asking if Dante can be used to actually perform the cascading, but rather can a Firewire-cascaded pair of consoles still utilize Dante sources or send Dante signals (i.e. Aux mixes)?

I'm wondering if a pair of SL32.4.2AI consoles could be cascaded into a 64-input console and then route select channels from an RM32AI. There are two possible scenarios:

(RM32AI with Dante) + (SL32.4.2AI Master with Dante) + (SL32.4.2AI Slave with Dante)
Could a Dante input be brought in from the RM anywhere on the entire 64-channel cascaded AI console?

-or-

(RM32AI with Dante) + (SL32.4.2AI Master with Dante) + (SL32.4.2AI Slave WITHOUT Dante)
Could a Dante input be brought into the Master console? This scenario assumes that all inputs to the Slave console would be analog.

Thanks!
by Karyn on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:37 am
Yes, all of that should work exactly as you'd hope / expect.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by gjerdav on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:35 pm
Awesome, thank you Karyn! I think by now I've read almost every post in this section of the forum. I've had some experience with AVB on the RM/AI platform, but unfortunately we seem to have run into some subtle but noticeable noise issues with the AVB link itself (slight crackling that sounds like a clocking issue), so I'm trying to determine if migrating the system to a Dante network would be a good solution. Other than the clocking noise I really like the workflow that the RM and AI mixers offer.

Is there any way to route audio into the talkback channel on the RM? We can do it with AVB, and I thought I saw somewhere that Talkback is a Dante transmitter on the AI console, but I haven't seen any indication that it is a Dante receiver on the RM. If not, my workaround is to use a spare Aux mix on the AI, talk into it, and then route that aux mix into something like the "Tape" input on the RM.

Thanks for your help!
by Karyn on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:59 am
As you realised, the Dante implementation is rather lacking in "features" compared to the AVB implementation.
While with AVB they created complete systems (stage box mode, remote mixer mode), for Dante they just went "Here's your inputs and outputs... good luck".
So, no. The RM talkback isn't directly accessible, but how would you activate it anyway?

The way I use mine is a dumb stagebox setup. RM input channels are routed 1:1 to the 32AI. RM and AI inputs are set to Network input. AI aux outputs routed 1:1 to RM inputs.... AI Main output routed to RM Digital input. Each individual RM channel sent to matching AUX channel at unity, none sent to Main. RM Digital return sent to RM Main.
Save as a preset...
Looks totally wrong, but it is correct.. :)

For talkback, assign and use in the 32AI as normal and it is auto-routed through to the relevant RM output....

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1