Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
25 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
BTW the Netgear model is WNDR3700

Just trying to get through life pleasing The One who gave it to me...
by matthewseymour on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:18 am
One comment I'll add to Karyn's excellent advice is the built in network switch in some cheap wifi routers isn't all you might expect. I have a TP-link archer C5 that I use for wifi. It has four gigabit ports. When used to connect a few dante devices together I started to have problems with audio momentarily cutting out. Using a separate cheap netgear switch solved these problems.

The issue is that sometimes these cheap routers have a processor with multiple network interfaces rather than a dedicated switch. Yes they can switch traffic between those interfaces and those interfaces may well be gigabit... but it isn't unusual to find all that traffic is actually going through the cpu and the bandwidth may be limited. Even worse, for Dante, is you may find there are little spikes of latency on the traffic. That's something Dante cannot cope with. I didn't perform any analysis on why my TP-link router was causing me problems, I just stopped pushing the traffic through it and the problems went away.
by kevinmathews on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:29 pm
I must agree that some routers/switches can be problematic, so far I have had great luck with this, but the test is still pending...
That said, I am planning an update to my Dante network equipment using a managed gigabit switch without any internal WiFi, and adding a separate Ubiquity AP.

Just trying to get through life pleasing The One who gave it to me...
by Karyn on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:42 pm
If you're happy with the performance from your current WiFi router (which is what it is, not a switch with built in AP) then keep it and just add a switch. Connect everything to the switch, just one connection from the WiFI router to the switch. The switch will prevent any Dante traffic from reaching the router.

I use a Nowsonic Stage Router http://www.nowsonic.com/products/live/stage-router/ and an HP Enterprise grade switch. The switch is prolly a bit overkill but my Dante equipment includes AI console, RM32, 4x AI speakers, 2x laptops and a McMini, along with 6x Sennheiser wireless units also on the network for control. It never misses a beat and the WiFi to 2x iPads is rock solid.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by matthewseymour on Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:04 am
That's what I did. Cheap wifi router for wireless and DHCP, Dante kit on the little cheapo switches. I've reliably run 48 channels across the cheap switches without any problem.

25 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2