Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
HI people,

last week i purchased a dante card from a friend.
The installation worked fine, and i did a complete firmware reset during the installation.
I just don´t have a suitable switch, because i didn´t find a small one with the features i need in my local store, but no problem, because for testing i can connect the RM and my macbook directly.
at least that´s what i read on audinate´s webpage.
BUT:
while i can play back a 2Track to my RM without great issues, as soon as i start Studio one to run plugins.
Firstly my cpu cannon handle a buffer of 32 samples anymore (with firewire it worked well)
second, i see huge latency values (input 6.5/output 5.5ms) which is almost doubled compared to firewire...
third, when i unplug the network cable, i cannot get my audio back instantly, it takes up to 30 seconds.
Is this normal (probably not) or did i forget something?

Thanks for your help

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies DVX 10(2x), DVX8(4x)
db technologies S08(2x)

https://www.waves.com/r/bqvxon
by Friedhelm on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:13 am
forgot to share my settings:
mac book pro: tried 4,6,10ms latency, no difference in cpu load, the latency i told above was 4ms
Channel count: 16X16
RM16: 250 microseconds, as there is no switch in between
All devices are set to 48k sample rate.

best regards,

friedhelm

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies S08(2x)

by Karyn on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:27 pm
The doubling of your latency is because you're running Studio One at 64 buffers rather than 32.
The 4,6 or 10ms latency setting in VSC doesn't actually change the latency, it sets "allowable" latency before VCS starts deliberately dropping data and warning you that its being overworked.
Likewise the latency setting for the RM Dante card shouldn't be set as low as possible, I use 1ms as that is as low as the Dante cards for AI speakers will go (they use 100Mb Ethernet)

Plugging the RM directly into the McBook means they have to use self assigned IP, which is not an issue but unless you've specifically told your RM to do that it'll first try to find a DHCP server to give it an IP (and your McBook will do the same) which explains the delay in re-connecting. You should be able to speed up the connection time by either making the RM and McBook default to self assigned addresses, or by assigning fixed IP addresses.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by Friedhelm on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:11 am
thank you karyn.
i'll try some changes at the end of this week, holiday is waiting now :D

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies S08(2x)

by Friedhelm on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:24 am
i got it running, there was a faultry cable that worked well in every other application...

Now i decided to get away from Dante for my applications. Here is why:

compared to firewire latency is a big issue, because Dante latency has to be applied twice, because DVS latency is applied when i go into DVS AND when i get out of it. Dante has to go that way, with firewire you don't have that extra virtual soundcard. i calculated the latency and got exact the values showed in S1: 4ms from DVS plus the buffer of S1 for both input and output.

getting the right switch is not esay since EEE is a common feature in every switch. As soon as you can switch it off it gets pricey...

a shame that with a dante card for almost 600 euros is no DVS licence included... another 30 euros...

...no smaart wizards....

...no capture...

The Dante card costs more than a second hand mac mini... so i decided to buy a mac mini, glue it into my Rack next to my RM16 and control the mcmini via remote desktop on my macbook.
I'll report how this works for me a bit later.

Dante IS the future for bigger setups with at least 2 Dante devices, especially because AES67 can be easily integrated!
(a few days ago radial introduced DI boxes with Dante interface!!!!)

But not for my application with one RM16 and one mac book.

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies S08(2x)

by matthewseymour on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:11 am
Hi Friedhelm, I can understand where you're coming from. If Dante doesn't do what you need, and firewire does, I can understand your desire not to use it. I would argue that Firewire is a dead technology and soon won't be present. It's worth keeping your Dante card for the RM as in the future you can use the RM mixer as a Dante stagebox to a larger Dante system, which is what I do. You also have the option to give someone else a Dante feed, should the need arise.

Best of luck with the new setup.
by sjc193 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:34 pm
Friedhelm wrote... so i decided to buy a mac mini, glue it into my Rack next to my RM16 and control the mcmini via remote desktop on my macbook.
I'll report how this works for me a bit later.

This is basically what I do, except I have a rackmount PC in the rack with the RM32. And I actually log into it over Wifi with my iPad using SplashTop (Windows on an iPad believe it or not it works), so I don't even need a laptop at FOH. It works great! And I get Spectrographs on every channel in and out, sweet!

But warning, the latest UCS 2.1 does not work well over FireWire (for me anyways), but UCS 1.8.0 does work just fine on the FireWire computer using the same latest greatest RM Firmware.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine