Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I currently use the AVB card in the RM16 going into a MOTU AVB Switch in my rack which has an Apple Airport Express plugged into the LAN port acting as a DHCP Server and WAP for iPad, iPhone etc. and a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air wired into one of the other ports.

If I decided to go down the Dante road and change the card in the RM to Dante could I continue to use the MOTU AVB Switch as a normal network switch passing the Dante protocol?

It would appear this would be the case as I believe the MOTU acts as a normal Gigabit switch but has anyone actually tried it?

I was loathe to pose the question to MOTU because I would not be using AVB but a competing format in Dante but I did in the end.

The response I got back was they confirm it is a Gigabit class switch but using it with Dante is not a scenario they have tested so are unable to officially support it which was almost expected due to the reason given above.

I don't want to purchase yet another switch if I can help it as I am hoping to use the existing MOTU which is already fitted to a shelf in a 3U Gator case along with APC SmartUPS, DBX DriveRack PA2 (being replaced by a Lexicon MX400) two Shure GLXD Wireless receivers, Apple Airport Express using 5GHz and a 7-Way 1U PDU to finish it all off!

Short of buying a Dante card for the mixer and trying it myself has anybody else had any experience with this?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 Firmware 0.98f Build 219
PreSonus StudioLive RM16AI Firmware 1.0.7784
MacBook Pro 2.3GHz i7/16GB/1TB SSD/El Capitan 10.11.6
MacBook Air 1.7GHz i7/8GB/512GB SSD/El Capitan 10.11.6
Universal Control 1.7.3 (1.6.5742 Driver 4.2.0.39752)
Universal Control AI 1.5.0.36497
UC Surface 1.8
Studio One Professional 3.2.0.36707
Capture 2.2.0.36497
SL-Remote 1.5.5503
QMix 1.3.5508
QMix AI 1.2.29258
iPhone 6S iOS 9.3.4
iPad Air 2 iOS 9.3.4
by roblof on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:20 am
If it weren't working with dante that is based on standard ethernet protocols then their avb-switch wouldn't comply with standard voip protocols and other standard ethernet protocols either.

If this Is true then buying that switch should not be on anyones buying list!

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by matthewseymour on Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:20 am
In Dante land the motu AVB switch is just a very expensive gigabit switch.

To be honest though if I didn't need the AVB capability, I'd sell it and buy something else. For a small dante network you can get away with a cheap, unmanaged, gigabit switch. No need for QOS until you're sharing the network with other traffic as well and things are getting saturated.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1