Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
33 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hi Can anyone give me a hand doing this? I was able to configure the switch to have 2 seperate VLANs BUT when I hook up the wireless router to VLAN 1 which has no Dante I cant sync to the mixer with UC Surface as it doesnt even recognize the device ( no pop up pic) . If I plug the wifi router into the dante port (Which I know wont work) The Mixer is seen but wont connect for obvious reasons..... Any tips are very much welcome and once this gets working I will post a step by step for all to use ! BTW , I used this to help me get the router working and to set up the 2 VLANS. MAybe something needs to change in this setup but its basically the same exact situation....take a look.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/training_support/selftraining/dante_guide/chapter2/01_network_switch/

RM32ai with Dante Card
Cisco sg300-10 Switch
Netgear Wireless dual band Router
Last edited by roberttreloar on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
by Karyn on Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:08 pm
You don't want to be using VLANs. Yamaha use them in that example because their mixers and stage boxes have Ethernet ports built in for control which are separate to the Dante ports provided on the expansion cards for audio transfer. (For Dante port, read standard ethernet port with a Dante chip...)

If you put your WiFi router on a different VLAN to everything else it will not be able to communicate with anything else....
For Dante all you need is everything connected to the same network, which may include many switches. If you're deliberately multicasting (sending the same signal to many devices) then enable IGMP snooping on the switches. That's it.

Oh yes, remember to disable EEE (power saving) on the switches if they have it or Dante won't work.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by roberttreloar on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:21 am
OK thanks I will give that a shot and see how it goes. I will let you know ! Thanks for taking the time to respond to me as well. Appreciate it.
by roberttreloar on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:10 am
Karyn wroteYou don't want to be using VLANs. Yamaha use them in that example because their mixers and stage boxes have Ethernet ports built in for control which are separate to the Dante ports provided on the expansion cards for audio transfer. (For Dante port, read standard ethernet port with a Dante chip...)

If you put your WiFi router on a different VLAN to everything else it will not be able to communicate with anything else....
For Dante all you need is everything connected to the same network, which may include many switches. If you're deliberately multicasting (sending the same signal to many devices) then enable IGMP snooping on the switches. That's it.

Oh yes, remember to disable EEE (power saving) on the switches if they have it or Dante won't work.

Well Itried that after resetting the router and I still get a hang, UC surface sees the device but will not sync. I have tried many configurations......Something isnt right. I made a video to show below.

phpBB [video]
by Karyn on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:37 am
What are you using to provide DHCP?
The picture wasn't focused very well but it looked like the address of the RM shown in UC on the PC is 169.254.0.2 but Dante Control is listing it as 169.254.52.83

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by roberttreloar on Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:34 am
Not sure , How do you make them match up ?
by roberttreloar on Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:44 am
Here are the addresses more clearly.
RM32 address in DANTE software is 169.254.52.83
RM32 address on PC laptop when UC surface is opened is 169.254.0.2

Hmmmm????? Interesting
by Karyn on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:17 pm
That would explain why you can't connect with UC surface..

What you should have is...

Your router (which provides WiFi) should be set to serve IP addresses with DHCP.
Plug one of the normal router outputs (not the WAN connection) into your switch.
Plug everything else into the switch.
NO VLANs
Set everything (PC, iMac, anything else) to get IP address automatically from DHCP.

Turn on router first, let it boot and start serving addresses.
Turn on switch.
Turn on everything else.

Everything should be on the same subnet created by the router, default is usually 192.168.0.xxx

You should not need any special settings in the switch just for Dante other than ensuring EEE (if it has it) is turned off.
You don't even need QoS enabled on a gigabit switch, unless you're on a very busy network and want to transport lots of audio.

In the video your switch only has 3 cables in it...
you should have:
1) Router
2) RM32
3) Mac
4) PC

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by roberttreloar on Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:21 am
I will try this today thanks very much for this information.

Peace :+1
by roberttreloar on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:01 am
Well I tried that and it didnt work. I watched the MAc get its assignments but the PC which is set for DHCP as well isnt connecting. This is so strange. :|

Watch
phpBB [video]
by roberttreloar on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:06 am
Just tried something......I connected RM32ai to the netgear router and then connected my laptop to the netgear router and it worked. OK this is ODD.....so the switch and my MAC are out of the equation and it worked......INTERESTING ! Will keep on pushing !
by Karyn on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:11 am
What actual address did the PC end up with?

It looks like, for some reason, the PC isn't on the same network... in which case manually setting 192.168.1.5 won't work.
Did you disable those VLANs you setup in the switch?
Is the network cable you're using to the PC good?
Is WiFi turned on in the PC? (this shouldn't matter, but lets eliminate everything we can...) make sure it's off.

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by Karyn on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:12 am
In light of your last post, check the VLANs are definitely deleted from the switch...

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by roberttreloar on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:06 am
Well we ended up having to set a STATIC IP address on the PC that was used for control and it worked....BUT if for some strange reason the mac went to sleep and then woke up it tried to grab the WIFI and got completely confused........ Basically everything but the network connection must be off ...NO wifi on control computer.....This worked but It seems unstable to some degree. I might get a different switch. I reset the switch back to its default state . All seems to be going ok..... I will keep posting results. Other than that a single computer setup works amazing !
by Karyn on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:43 am
Glad you eventually got it (mostly) working.

It's never a good idea to have copper network AND WiFi enabled at the same time unless you're deliberately doing something specific with it.

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by roberttreloar on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:20 am
Thanks, What switch are you using?
by Karyn on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:27 pm
It's a second hand Netgear GS724T

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by roberttreloar on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:37 am
Thanks Karyn . Appreciate the conversation !
by jspring on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:19 pm
roberttreloar wroteHere are the addresses more clearly.
RM32 address in DANTE software is 169.254.52.83
RM32 address on PC laptop when UC surface is opened is 169.254.0.2

Hmmmm????? Interesting

Stumbled across this when google searching for something else.

FYI, the reason you see two different IP addresses is because the Dante card is actually a network switch itself, built into/on the I/O card. It's in a way a device that's separate from the mixer, so the Dante card gets an IP address and then the mixer (which is on the other side of the internal switch built into the card) also gets an IP address, for UCNET control (from UC Surface, etc.).

In the absence of a DHCP server, most devices will self-assign an IP address, usually according to the APIPA / ZeroConf networking schemes, so somewhere the range of 169.254.1.0 to 169.254.254.255. This is why the Dante card got self-assigned the 169.254.52.83 address and the computer self-assigned the 169.254.125.165 address.

The reason you could not connect to and control the mixer was because, on the current public firmware release, the mixer self-assigns the IP address 169.254.0.2, which is in a subnet outside the range of the APIPA addresses.

The reason you can see the mixer, but can't connect to and control it is is because UCNET discovery messages - the thing that tells UCNET clients (UC Surface) what UCNET servers (the mixer) are available on the network - are sent out via Broadcast, meaning Discovery packets go to all subnets on the physical network link. This is why UC Surface can see the mixer in a different subnet, but can't connect to/control it. A UCNET client can't actually connect to or control a UCNET server if it's in a different subnet.

**It's actually slightly more complicated, in that the actual problem is because the other devices IP addresses are outside the subnet range defined by the mixer's network interface's subnet mask... but I'm trying to stay out of the weeds here ;-)

The good news is, the current public beta changes the mixers so that 1) the self-assigned IP mode is revised to be compatible with APIPA / ZeroConf standards, and 2) there are user selectable network modes now, so yo can choose DHCP Dynamic, Self-Assigned, or Manual Static.
by Bencredible on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:37 pm
I didn't have anything to add here, but jspring's data was freaking fantastic! +1 for great info.

33 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2