Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I want to connect my StudioLive 16:4:2 ai to a laptop via FireWire to record a live session in Capture. I cannot seem to buy a laptop with FireWire (I'm being told FireWire is old). If this is the case can anyone tell me how to connect if laptops don't have FireWire now and also what the minimum requirements are for a laptop to run Capture. Thanks
by Karyn on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:59 am
Capture is not resource hungry at all, it doesn't do any processing just dumps the audio data to disc.
I found the limitation is disk speed, though a standard 5400 rpm drive will handle 16 tracks with no problem.

Does it have to be a Windows laptop? I use a MacBook for live recording then copy the data to my PC for mixing. You can easily add firewire to any MacBook that has a thunderbolt port.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by robertwishart on Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:23 am
Thank you for your reply it was very helpful. :D
by jodywaddell on Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:25 pm
When I bought my StudioLive 16.4.2 AI,
I also bought this:
ASUS ROG G750JW
At the time, the specs for that notebook on the ASUS website called the Thunderbolt port a DisplayPort. It's essentially the same thing.

Then I purchased this Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter

I know it's one hell of a laptop for the specs and way over compensating for audio, but I also do gaming in my free time. Even with the multiple Gigabytes of games and software I have on the system, it never skips a beat when using anything, StudioOne 2 Pro or Capture 2 included.
by Karyn on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:10 am
jodywaddell wrote ASUS ROG G750JW
At the time, the specs for that notebook on the ASUS website called the Thunderbolt port a DisplayPort. It's essentially the same thing.

They're currently calling it a Thunderbolt port.
Display Port and Thunderbolt are not the same.

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by jodywaddell on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:59 am
Correction. At the time I bought the laptop, they referred to the Thunderbolt port as a "Mini DisplayPort".
As I said, they essentially the same except Thunderbolt includes the PCIe.
Refer to: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_DisplayPort

Thanks for pointing that out, Karyn. :)
by Karyn on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:19 am
The big difference as far as we are concerned though, is that you can connect an apple firewire/thunderbolt plug to a thunderbolt port, but not to a minidisplayport port...

Well, to be pedantic you CAN plug one into a minidisplayport port, but it won't work.. ;)

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by Jason & Kate on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:38 pm
I am about to purchase a Dell M3800 which has a Thunderbolt 2 port. I will then be acquiring the proper Thunderbolt-Firewire adapters for both of my boards. Interestingly enough, Dell has in fact made their Thunderbolt port also double as a mini-display. I can't vouch for other brands though. A M3800 starts about $1700 CAN. I have done a lot of searching and its pretty much impossible to find new consumer-grade laptop with Firewire or Thunderbolt. You will either be spending $1500 and up on either a Mac or higher end "mobile workstation" PC.
by Karyn on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:02 am
Jason & Kate wrote Interestingly enough, Dell has in fact made their Thunderbolt port also double as a mini-display. I can't vouch for other brands though..

Display Port is a "fat" HDMI type connector for connecting displays.
Mini Display Port is the small squareish connector, again just for connecting displays.
Thunderbolt uses a mini display port connector (including all the display port function) and adds PCIe to the data stream.

If a port is listed as Thunderbolt it will always do both, but a port listed as mini display port will NOT provide Thunderbolt.

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by rogerheiderick on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:41 pm
I need Help??? I bought a MacBook Pro and I doesn't have FireWire, it has the thunder bolt, than I bought a original Mac FireWire to thunderbolt adaptor... But when I connect to computer and open Capture 2, I can't see the mixed to start recording... I'll go to options and them (audio device) it says "built-in output.... But doesn't show any thing else.... Any Help??? I'm using a pressonus is 32.4.2Ai at church. Thanks
by SwitchBack on Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:40 pm
Have a look here for instructions :)
by marinostathakis on Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:55 pm
I've been in the same boat. I found a company that made a laptop EXCLUSIVELY to connect the presonus board 16.4.2 to it as well as the 24.. but, it's no longer made :( BUT, the same company now has "rack" computers that have the CERTIFIED by presonus hardware. Brian @ obedia.
by dougwatson on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:51 am
Keep in mind that in order for Capture to work, you Must connect to the StudioLive mixer at least ONCE after any software installation or update via firewire from the UC Surface or the StudioLive software. This loads required drivers into the computer (at least on Macs it does!) Once this has been done, opening Capure should display both the built in audio as well as the Presonus device.

BTW, I bought a 2011 Mac Mini (with Firewire 800 port) to use for recording. I connect it via Firewire to the mixer (RM32 in my case) and remote connect to it using either an iPad or another laptop to run it. I don't have a screen, mouse or keyboard at gigs connected to the Mac Mini!

StudioLive 24.4.2 StudioLive RM32AI MacBookPro OSX 10.8.5 Mac Mini OSX 10.9.5 (In Rack Case with the RM)

13 posts
Page 1 of 1