Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I had a classic SL 16.4.2 many years ago and loved it - no issues with Capture.

I just stepped up to an RM16. Computer is macbook pro 13" retina i5 512GB SSD - it should be plenty fast, but I am getting occasional digital clicks in my recordings (10 or so per hour). The recordings are very use-able but compared to my SL which was perfect, and recently using a JoeCo BlackBox off a MixWizard - I'm disappointed. I know it can work, so I am looking for any suggestions.

Here are the details of the setup:
- RM16 is connected via ethernet cable to a dedicated router
- We have 2 iPads connected to the router and controlling the mixer
(early in the night I noticed one was falling behind on the meters and it lost connections 2 times and I had to restart UC Surface, the other seemed fine)
- FW800 through Thunderbolt adapter to the mac only running capture for recording

Default settings in Capture - only recording channels 1-16.
WiFi was turned on for the mac - but not connected (saw somebody said to switch this off).
Sample rate is 48kHz
Block size was 512 samples - should I turn this up?
Recording to the OS drive - which is the SSD

Please any suggestions - only one more practice until my first gig with the RM16 and I'd love things to go perfectly.
by mwright137 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:59 am
If everything is properly gain staged, I would try increasing the block size.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by drunton on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:45 am
Yeah - this is not an audio level clip.

These are "ticks" that show up across all tracks, sometimes just across a 4 or 5, but at the same time instant and definitely reminds me of the "good old days" when computers couldn't quite keep up and would lose sync.
by matthewgorman on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:51 am
Increase the block size and turn off wifi. My wifi recently seems to be problematic after years of not even noticing if it was on. Start there and let us know.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by drunton on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:32 pm
OK, block size was 2048 and WiFi was off - still had some clicks in the recording.

This time, however, I was paying attention and I heard some of the clicks coming through the RM16...

There were a few noticeable cases, where it seemed like everything just got slow in the system and that's when the clicks happen. The 2 iPads started having slow meter response (very delayed and stuttering), and I heard the clicks in the Aux outputs that are driving my in-ears. Not continuous, just a couple here and there.

We are really close located, in a practice space, so it's not a range thing.

The mixer is hooked via Cat5 to one of the ports of the wifi router. The iPads connect to that router. The mac is recording via FW800. I'm not running UC on the mac, just Capture.

Any ideas or suggestions?
by drunton on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:12 pm
Seems I've resolved everything - same, latest version of UC on all i-devices along with the equivalent firmware cleared up the conflicts. Turns out one iPad was set to auto-update the apps and it updated before I had updated the firmware.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1