Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm just getting capture up and running with my new RM32AI.

I am using a variety of Windows PCs with S400 (old fashioned) firewire.

In all cases - the channel names didn't come thorough from UCSurface (a pity, but no showstopper)

First up was my old firewire enabled laptop:
Dell Lattitude E4300, Intel Core Duo, 4GB RAM, Win 7, 4 pin firewire

This works a treat at 48khz.

But when I switched the mixer to 96khz, I ran into all sorts of problems. Firstly, the VU meters in Capture no longer seemed to map correctly to what was going in to the mixer. They were still going up and down.

Second up was my main studio machine:
i7 Water cooled monster, 8GB Ram, WIn 8.1, 6 pin firewire

This worked perfectly on 48 and 96khz

Third up was my older studio machine:
Core 2 Quad, 5Gb, Win 7, 4 pin firewire

This had exactly the same issue as the laptop. I was playing my iPod into channels 21/22 on the mixer, and at 96khz setting, capture showed channels 1/2 bouncing up and down.

Has anyone got any pointers on the issues with 96khz before I spend the next 2 weeks trying to debug?

Is is due to 4 pin firewire (I don't think so and there should be no real difference to the 6pin that was working on my studio machine).

Is it Windows 7 v windows 8?

Is it due to the other machines being slower than my studio machine?

Is there any guidance to all the options for Safe Mode 1-3 (seems to default to safe mode 1), block sizes etc etc.

Thanks
by roblof on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:31 am
Does fw400 work with 32+ channels of 96k audio? That equals 64+ channels at 48k...

5gb of memory(?) is on the very low side in my opinion and your computer may struggle to keep up.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by alaistairdeacon on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:59 am
If you are doing all 54 channels x 96khz x 24bits bidirectional, that's equivalent to 83mbps each way. As FW is good for 400mbps - that should be well within spec (and I have happily streamed HD video on firewire for years).

A decent hard dish should be good for 3-10mBYTESps so should also be able to keep up.

I can understand if the two slower machines stuttered, but it is the fact that the VUs just go wierd?
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:50 am
Not sure about that calculation, and also remember that with the audio sample data channel identifiers and perhaps checksums or other management data needs to be sent.

With the classic FireStudio family the FW400 limit is 52x52 channels. This may give a clue for calculating the overhead on a 24-bit sample... Then take into account that by IEEE1394 design from the full FW400 bus capacity (393.216 Mbps) only 80% is available for synchronous/audio data. The other 20% is reserved for asynchronous data (used for e.g. the RM remote control data).
by roblof on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:13 am
alaistairdeacon wrote(and I have happily streamed HD video on firewire for years).

Keep in mind that video streaming is only one stream that you put down onto your disk while multichannel audio is put down as separate streams/files. This put a stress on your disk. SSD's should cope with this much better.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by mwright137 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:51 pm
54 channels x 96000 samples/sec x 24 bits/sample = 124,416,000 bps each direction. That equates to 14.83MB/s.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by alaistairdeacon on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:08 am
Thanks for all the info....but it seems a more software bug/wierd artefact. Does anyione else get this happening on their setup
by mamerica on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:37 pm
From what I have heard, you can get away with 400 for control, but if you want to record at higher rates, you will need to move up to 800.

RM16AI; StudioLive 16.4.2 AI;
MacBook Pro; MacMini;
Studio One Proffesional; FaderPort
Waves MultiRack
by epeterso on Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:37 pm
alaistairdeacon wroteIs there any guidance to all the options for Safe Mode 1-3 (seems to default to safe mode 1), block sizes etc etc.

I was wondering the same thing.

RM32AI using FW800 and a 25 foot cable, 24 bit 88.2 kHz.

Home built 4 GHz DAW i-7 3930K 32 GB RAM, Blu Ray burner, all SSD except for RAID drives, three 24" screens at mixing desk, fourth screen in the ISO Booth. This thing screams!

SONAR Platinum with Radikal SAC-2.2 surface, Waves Gold FX, Samplitude Pro X, Melodyne. Magix Video Pro X6, and Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

StudioLive 16.4.2 or X32 Rack for gigs Firewire connected to Sony VAIO all-in-wonder touch screen PC.
by alaistairdeacon on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:58 am
Yeah - a bit more description on these other "options" may be useful.

I seem to be able to record at 96k on my main studio machine OK on S400.

I guess when I'm recording shows - I'll just stick to 48k so I have all my f/x etc. Its only a live show after all and use my old laptop.
by sjc193 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:59 am
When it comes to Safe mode and block size options, it depends on your needs. These affect latency, but for me doing live sound recording without processing anything through the computer, I set these to the highest possible numbers, Safe Mode3, biggest block size (was it 2048?) because this makes things easiest on the computer processor and I typically record 18 channels from 4 to 12 hours non-stop.

When in the studio recording an entire band at once you may do the same thing.

When punching in, as long as you monitor the audio through the board, meaning you can route the prerecorded audio to the board and you can here the punch in using the board and it's FX and EQ (FAT channel), you may do the same thing.

But if you prefer not to use the board FX and/or fat channel, and would rather route the audio for a punch in through the daw, add FX, EQ, mix in with the rest of the channels, and monitor all that while doing the punch in, then you have to bring the block size and safe modes down as far as you can with the computer you have to lower the latency to a point that when performing you can't tell there is latency, you need a kick butt computer for this to be optimal.

Another example, and the only time I have to change these settings to lower latency, is when I connect a MIDI keyboard up to StudioOne to use VST instruments, I must lower the latency as far as I can so that when I hit the note on the keyboard, i hear the note instantly, my older computer can just barely pull this off successfully, but I can't set the options to there lowest latency settings or it will start to click and pop , so that IS what to look out for! But lucky for me I can pull it off and it's fun to do!

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by AndreD on Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:59 am
We are planing to get a RM32AI for our Studio, any experience with iMacs and a Thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter and 96 kHz?

Thank you and best wishes,
Andre

12 posts
Page 1 of 1