Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Photo.jpg
Hello Forum Friends!

So the other night I recorded a performance and then reopened the Capture file and it came up with all the tracks linked in pairs and in the wrong places. (see the picture below). The stereo tracks you do see are the OHL and OHR, and Keys L, KeyR. They were linked on the board during the recording.

The SL 3 and Capture 3 is new to me but I have successfully used the legacy 24-4-2 and Capture 2 for years without a single hitch. Many successful sessions with the old stuff.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can you please tell me what I'm missing and doing to mess this up. I really appreciate any insight you can give.

Thank you so very much!!!

Rob
by wahlerstudios on Sat May 04, 2019 8:18 am
Welcome to the Forums! It's still a great place, especially when you are looking for user know-how.

Basically there is not really a difference between old and new versions of Capture, but Capture 3 has brought some improvements and changes. I see in your picture that only tracks 13+14 and 19+20 are recorded as stereo tracks, all others are mono tracks, even though all tracks are linked. Capture 3 indicates linking by a "/" between figures (1/2, 3/4, 5/6 and so on). Linking is only possible in Capture itself in the "Meter Bridge" (manual section 6.2 "Link Button"). In former times Capture was looking what was linked on the mixer, but that's not the case any longer.

Something must have gone wrong with the linking function, but it's easy to get things in order again. Simply unlink the tracks with a mono recording and rearrange the tracks as needed (manual section 5.1.2). By default Capture is recording mono tracks and because mixer and software act separate, there is no need to record stereo tracks. Simply try to prevent this in future recordings.

Since you are coming from a legacy board, you should have a look at the sync function and how this works. This function was introduced with the AI family of mixers and is a really great feature, but you have to get familiar with it (manual section 4.1.1 and 4.1.2). You can find the Capture manual on the download page of your mixer.

Hope this helps.
by Robvz on Sat May 04, 2019 7:59 pm
Yes, This help a lot - Thank you very much!

So I see how I can get most of this fixed by unlinking the tracks with a mono recording and rearrange the tracks. Do you have any idea how I can convert the recorded stereo 13+14 and 19+20 back to mono tracks?

Again, thank you again for taking the time to help me out. It it very much appreciated!!!

Rob
by wahlerstudios on Sun May 05, 2019 7:24 am
There is no chance to "convert" a stereo track to two mono tracks, but there are two workarounds:

1) Bouncing the stereo track to a mono track. Capture 3 offers this function. It's a "fast" solution, but probably not the most musical one.

2) Recording two new tracks inside Capture. Playing and recording tracks happens simultaneously, there is no delay or "latency".

Let's take your tracks 13+14 as example, which are played back to the mixer in channels 13 and 14. Select USB as input source. Then go to routings and set "USB Out" of channel 13 to channel 31 and channel 14 to 32. Now the incoming signals are sent to channels 31 and 32 and Capture "sees" them automatically. Arm track 31 and 32 record the stereo signal from track 13+14 as separate(d) audio signals.

You can do this with as many tracks as you need simultaneously.
by SwitchBack on Sun May 05, 2019 9:54 am
Actually, it’s quite easy to convert between stereo and two mono files. In Studio One find the file in the browser, right-click and select ‘split to mono files’ :)
by Robvz on Sun May 05, 2019 2:26 pm
You guys are Awesome!
Thank you so very much. I've learned from both of you.
Very helpful and informative.
Have a great upcoming week!
Rob
by markuskorhonen on Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:10 am
Hey Guys!

I do also experience this same issue in Capture 3 all the time..

All tracks recorded in mono in Capture 3.
Saving project and closing it.
When opening the project at a later time, every track in the project is stereo linked together.

It takes forever to sort it out and also (don´t know how that is possible) some tracks merge together as "real" stereo tracks. I've had a support case open without getting to any resolution.

I was in the belief that I was the only one with this odd behaviour until I found this post!!
From what I can see here the actual reason for this behaviour is not clear?
Yes, the outcome is fixable but is this avoidable? Someone, please shed some light :-)
by wahlerstudios on Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:42 am
Well, this theme has been discussed in several groups, but I don't think there has been THE answer. At least I don't remember. There is one thing that might help: When you launch Capture, you need to wait until you see the graphic symbol of your mixer. If you start Capture too fast, it will create and arm 64 tracks... This does not explain the stereo track bug, but it might help to get "better" recordings... ;-) Normally Capture recordings are very, very solid, especially on a computer.
by wahlerstudios on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:53 am
As this question is now also discussed in one of the closed Facebook groups, I'd like to add that I take it as self-evident that UC Control is started BEFORE Capture. It is UC Control which makes the symbol of the mixer model show up on the Capture start page. UC Control is the "driver" for hardware and software, so without "driver" there can or will be misfunctions.

Nevertheless it is possible to start Capture with the computer as audio interface. Capture will then change to a two track "automatic" mix, which means that all tracks are played to the main bus with the levels recorded. There is no way to change volumes.

Start UC Control first, then launch UC Surface. Only then start Capture. That's the correct way of using Capture.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1