Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am very frustrated trying to get a multi track recording from capture. we use an RM32 for our system. I want to record a multi track recording using my lenovo t410 running 64 bit windows 7.

The lenovo internal firewire does not have the indispensable TI chipset so I bought I PCMCIA (or whatever it's called these days) card from startech that is on the presonus list.

I run a firewire cable from the rm32 to the laptop card. I start capture. Most of the time, nothing happens. Sometimes it works correctly and I can see waveforms, until the screen scrolls once or twice. then the waveforms end, but the recording continues. Of course, once the waveforms disappear, nothing gets recorded.

I don't want to have to restart the lenovo every time capture fails. I don't want to delete INI files, or try 3 different drivers. I just want it to work.

I am open to any suggestions. I suppose that might include buying a new laptop, which I cannot afford right now.
by roblof on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:03 am
Does it work recording using a regular daw?

Have you made sure that you are using the microsoft legacy firewire driver?

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by sjc193 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:56 am
There is also a list of settings you should have set in Windows to keep things running smoothly. Should be able to find a list in the Presonus Knowledge base.

You cannot have any extra programs running in the background of a PC or it will screw up an RM firewire connection. You nned the PC to be really clean. Things like Antivirus programs, windows firewall or defender even, automatic updates, or any thing running in the background(actual viruses/spyware) are typical culprits in Windows. So it helps to turn off as much as you possibly can to give the Firewire connection priority for the RAM and processor for hours at a time.

LatencyMon is a program (google it) that can be used to try to find programs that are dorking up the Firewire connection too.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine