Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I recorded 2 gospel-concerts in 2 different churches, which were anout same size and room accoustic. Same setting, same equipment, same choir and band, same program, no changes on the channel gains. But during first check of the 2 recordings in Studio One (V3.3.1), I saw that all channels are different in the recording level by approx. 15-20 dB. Any idea, what could gave caused this? :(

MacBookPro iOS 10.10, Capture, iPad
2 x RM32AI, HP Envy Recline (i7, 23", Multitouch),
PA. KS-Audio CPD12, CPD1, CPD208, CL208 with CA4-D Amps
by wahlerstudios on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:03 pm
Acoustics can be tricky... If your technical approach was identical, there must have been less input level from the singers and musicians, maybe less reflections in the room/more dampening, maybe more or less humidity, maybe more distance of the singers to the microphones... 15 to 20 dB is quite a heavy difference, but 10 to 15 dB is absolutely normal. You should have noticed it at the location already during sound reinforcement. But you should compare the signals in the recording program, not Studio One. Capture can not alter the levels, so if there is a difference, it was caused by different acoustics in the rooms.
by Spirit on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:31 am
Hi wahlerstudios
Thanks for your reply. It was definitely not the acoustics, and I'm sure I would have noticed 15-20 dB difference during the live performance..
After some hours of extreme frustration I switched - just for fun !!! - the driver from Audiobox to Firestudio and back. Suddenly all the levels came up to what I expected. I have no explanation why that happened only with one recording. I would expect a driver issue to happen on all recordings or none. Luckily it's ok now. But I would be more relaxed, knowing the reason for this very strange behaviour, which I never had before. Thanks anyway.

MacBookPro iOS 10.10, Capture, iPad
2 x RM32AI, HP Envy Recline (i7, 23", Multitouch),
PA. KS-Audio CPD12, CPD1, CPD208, CL208 with CA4-D Amps
by wahlerstudios on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:45 am
Ok, I don't have the problem of different drivers for different machines. I just check if Capture "sees" the board. But as Universal Control has started before, I know already that there is a connection between the mixer and the computer. And I use Studio One for mastering only, not for recording or mixing. Good that you found your problem. Indeed it can happen that drivers are not loaded correctly. One more thing to check... ;-)

4 posts
Page 1 of 1