Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
hey guys, I recently recorded a gig using capture. the recording is 4 hours long and has maybe 40 tracks. i want to give it back to the band in a format they can listen to so they can improve their individual play.

has anyone done this before and if so can you share the how to's?

thanks!

Randy

Studio One 3 Professional
Studio Live 24.4.2
Studio 192
Mac Pro 2008
by matthewgorman on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:02 pm
Are you talking about a stereo recording of 40 songs, or individual channel tracks?

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by RandyJones on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:35 pm
Individual tracks

Randy

Studio Live 24.4.2
Studio 192
Mac Pro 2008
by matthewgorman on Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:45 pm
So what you want to do is bring them into a Daw like studio one, and from there you can mix all the tracks to a stereo file. FWIW, S1 artist was included with your mixer purchase, and should be available to download from your Presonus account if the board was registered.

Once installed, Studio One can open the capture session. If you have an AI board, all fat channel settings should carry over as well. Then you remix the tracks how you want, and mixdown the song.

As far as multiple songs that were recorded to one capture session, you can set flags for where the songs start/stop, and export mixdowns between the flags for the individual songs.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by sjc193 on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:03 pm
there are several methods to do this, but in any case it's going to need to be done via what I call the quick mix!

There may already be a stereo "Live Mix" Track that was recorded into Capture. You could just open that in the Project Page of StudioOne Pro and start splitting it into tracks and pairing it down to an 80 minute CD or 2. However chances are that it will not sound all that good compared to the way it sounded through the PA system, but if you don't have time to waist and just need them to hear something, it could work. . .

Otherwise:

The tracks need to be remixed in a way that sounds good (or at least decent) on a pair of headphones (or Studio Monitors). That could be done in Studio One and any other daw.

But it can also be done with just the capture software and your mixer and I find that option to be the easiest and fastest! I'm going to describe this done with an RM32 since that's what I have and you didn't say what mixer you have.

1. Open your capture session with the mixer connected and on.
2. Disable record for each track in Capture
3. Enable record for stereo track 33/34 in Capture (that is the feed from the MAIN fader of the mixer)
4. In UC Surface, load the scene from the gig that you recorded.
5. Flatten out the MAIN fader's PEQ, Compressor, and GEQ, but leave everything else as a starting point
6. Set all inputs 1-32 to FireWire (this is done in the channel settings of UC Surface)
7. Plug Headphones into Mixer and set to listen to MAIN out
8. Hit PLAY in Capture and listen to the mix with the headphones.
9. Start using the mixer (or UC Surface) to tweak the mix to make it sound as best you can, be sure to skip to different places in the recording and try to come up with a decent mix that will work for the entire show (this can be difficult and you do have the option to listen for 4 hours and tweak along the way but I usually don't have time for that)
10. set cursor back to beginning and hit record, then wait for 4 hours, it will be playing the tracks back through the mixer and recording the MAIN out to stereo track 33/34 in capture creating one 4 hour long stereo wave file that sounds OK on a pair of headphones. It will not delete the original Stereo File, it should create a new one in the capture folder with a name like Track33(2).wav or something like that.
11. Open the newly created stereo file in the Project Page of Studio One Pro if you have it. It makes it really easy to split the 4 hour long file into short wav files one for each track and delete the space in between and also add some compression/limiting to the master insert to make the recording louder.
12. Burn to CD using the StudioOne Project Page Burn CD button.
13. That's it! I can accomplish that with about two hours or less of work and four hours of waiting while it rerecords the new files. If you really want to get crazy, you can listen the entire 4 hours and make adjustments along the way from song to song.

There are a zillion other ways to get to a recording that your friends/bandmates can hear, this is just one example that works well for me. Not to say it's a studio CD, it's not, but I can make it sound OK in my car and often that's the only real goal. I believe it works well for me because I am so use to using the mixer to mix live bands every weekend, that it is easy to use the same mixer to mix a CD quickly, if I try to use StudioOne it just takes me a LOT longer to remix because I'm not use to using it, I'm a live sound guy not a studio sound guy, if you know what I mean.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by wahlerstudios on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:11 pm
I usually play the tracks back to the console (SL 2442AI), mix the songs and record the stereo sum in Capture again. Then I create a "project" in Studio One Pro, add the mixdowns (WAV files) and master the mixes. The final step is to render (publish) the songs as MP3 files and to make available on a special page of my web site. The musicians can listen to the songs online and/or download them. Nobody wants CDs any more.

MIXING and MASTERING are the two important steps for me. My goal is to create a tranparent mix, which gives a clear picture of the music played. But this picture can be quite "sharp", so it has to be "tasty" to make the musicians willing to listen... That's why I master the mixdowns and make the overall sound as pleasant as possible. Quite often I add some reverb / room to the mixes, to make them "lively". If there are ambience microphones recorded (and if the room sounds ok), it normally does not need any "virtual" room.

This procedure takes quite some time. 4 hours of recorded material probably means 40 to 50 songs, so maybe a selection of highlights (10 songs) may be enough. And don't mind if the musicians do not share your enthusiasm... :shock:
by sjc193 on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:30 pm
wahlerstudios wroteI usually play the tracks back to the console (SL 2442AI), mix the songs and record the stereo sum in Capture again. Then I create a "project" in Studio One Pro, add the mixdowns (WAV files) and master the mixes.

This is basically exactly what I laid out in the steps above.

I call it great minds thinking alike. . .

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by RandyJones on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:36 pm
Guys, this was awesome feedback and super helpful, all of you. I'll give it a thourough try and I'm sure it will all work well.

thanks!

Randy

Randy

Studio Live 24.4.2
Studio 192
Mac Pro 2008

8 posts
Page 1 of 1