Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

We use Capture 2.0 with a SL24.4.2AI to record worship services and I'd like to simplify the startup process for the tech team. Our goal is to podcast the stereo main mix from each service.

Here's what we do now to start recording:

Start Capture 2.0
Enter the performance and artist individually
Hit "Create New Session"
Disarm all tracks
Find tracks labeled "AUX 1" and "AUX 2,"
Link AUX1 and AUX2 channels
Arm new stereo Aux1/2 channel
Hit "Record"

I'll explain the problem with this as logically as I can:

1) The first problem we're having is acknowledging which tracks are the Main L and R mix from the board. Currently they are named AUX1, AUX2, etc, which is misleading as they are not the "Auxes" as we think of them on the mixer. This is not a problem for some users, however it is confusing for new A/V team members who are rotating in and are still digesting just what the heck an aux is. It would be nice to make this a little more intuitive because the person upstairs in the booth is usually not a trained audio person; it's a high schooler running the slides while I mix from the piano. Or heaven forbid a pastor or choir team member has to start the recording on the days I'm not there! :)

2) I've noticed that tracks 25-40 are automatically populated by whatever is selected on the aux input router ("setup" tab) on Universal Control. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to rename or disable any of these automatically in Capture. I suppose I don't even need duplicates of the MainL/R defaulted in pairs to tracks 27-40, anyway. If I were to hit "record now," at the top, that's about 50% more recording processing and space than I need to be using even if I were to record all channels.

3) Asking a novice to disarm tracks and rearm the correct (but inappropriately-named) ones every time is a risky maneuver. A decent podcast recording is very important to our congregation.

My utopian goal would be to have a template saved that allows one to pre-set the track names (i.e. to "MAIN L" and "MAIN R"), arming condition, and stereo link condition.

The perfect startup would be:
Start Capture 2.0
Select Template for "Contemporary Worship" (for example)
Hit "Record Now"

My attempt at creating a template failed, because there is always recorded audio in there from the last session. Perhaps these capabilities already exist and I'm just a luddite who missed it. If anybody could shed some light, that would be great.

Otherwise, love love love the products!
by jbovinette on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:35 am
Same here. I wish there were templates, I am running into the same problem as well.

John Bovinette

John Bovinette
Kings Road Fellowship
by SwitchBack on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:17 pm
Yes, that would be useful.

As for now a workaround is to open a new session, do everything you need to do before hitting record, save the session as "Contemporary Worship", and make it read only in your OS. Now when you open that session you still have to arm the appropriate tracks but then you're away. After the service you'll be forced to save under another file name but that's what you want anyway :)
by jbovinette on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:19 pm
Good one. I never thought of that! I'll have to try that.

John Bovinette
Kings Road Fellowship
by seanbrown2 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:20 pm
I would love to be able to create template in Capture for my daily drum practice session I use 14 of the 32 tracks . for me the factory routing works fine , I just dislike having to disarm the tracks with no input going to them from the mixer every day upon opening Capture before drum practice. any steps that can be saved ultimately getting playing faster would be appreciated

Last year traded up my 3 firepod pod chain for a RM32AI. just added CS18AI And I am LOVING IT!. The Home Studio set up. Home built. Amd fx 8350 8 core 4400 Mhz liquid cooled. Asus M5A99X-EVO R2 MotherBoard, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix 1866mhz Ram, 120 GB Intel SSD , 1TB Seagate HDD, 4TB HGST NAS HDD, 500 GB Seagate HDD. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, SiiG DP FireWire 800 3 port PCIe card, tripple monitors 27 inch Asus Monitor / 2 24 Asus inch monitors , Studio one 3 pro, RM32Ai firewire to pc, QSC RMX 2450, RMX 1450, RMX 850. Furman RP-8D power conditioner. Audix Microphones. PDP Platinum Series Drums
by stphanebertoli on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:40 am
Some news about Capture template to avoid re-enter track names ?
by matthewgorman on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:01 am
Just remember, feature requests should be done on the Answers site, where they can be voted on and ranked. For now, the requests should go in the Studio Live Feature Requests. I would suggest using a tag for Capture when making the request.

http://answers.presonus.com/questions/s ... sort=votes

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by stphanebertoli on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:53 am
Ok, so go here :http://answers.presonus.com/questions/studiolive-mixers/capture-for-studiolive

and search 'How can save all the channel names in Capture?' and VOTE!

8 posts
Page 1 of 1