Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm a very novice sound tech for my church. Can someone help me increase the volume of my recording in capture. We only record the channel the pastors mic is on. I know you can ehance the recording in Studio 1 but that is to advance for us right now(still learning ). The overall mix for the church sounds great. So I don't want to change anything that may effect that. I just want the capture recording to be louder. Whenever I capture a session and export it to the mac it sounds great it's just to low. We are only recording the sermons at this point. Im probably doing something wrong. Any advice will help thanks. Oh yeah we have a studiolive 24.4.2.
by wahlerstudios on Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:49 am
The volume of the recording is coupled to the gain of the input channel. It looks like you are using too little gain for speech. Try to increase gain (the knob on top of your input channel) until you are safely in the lower yellow part of the LED strip (press button input to see the meters). This should solve your problem.

If not, split the microphone (Y-Cable Splitter) and use the second signal solely for recording. This gives you the freedom to adjust the gain independent from the sound in the room.

Another trick would be to record a mix out (aux) and use its make-up gain, but you need some more experience to make this work.
by bobcrownfield on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:19 pm
When I record using capture, here's how I do it.

Turn FOH and all monitors off.

Look at the pastors mic level, and adjust it somewhere between -10 and -20. Soft, -20 is ok, loud -10 is ok. this still leaves you room if he gets very loud. If you can go higher safely, do it.

Do this for every input channel. Either write them down, or mark them.
The recording levels are now reasonable.

Set the channel faders all to the 0db mark,
and then bring up the FOH speakers with the master fader, until the house sounds about right.
Use the channel faders to perfect the house mix balance.

If you are using monitors, bring them up one at a time. You want the monitors to be post channel fader, so that any corrections to the house mix show up in the monitor mix. If you are getting feedback or room ring, they are too high. Any mikes that do not need to be in that monitor mix should not be.

People really need to stay on the mike. 1-3 inches normally. if not, they will have problems. If you can pull this all off, your recording will sound like studio.

In Studio One, normalize the channels which will further correct the levels.

Bob Crownfield
Studio Session Live
[email protected]
Presonus RML16AI, 16.4.2
sE Electronics sEX1, Rode M2,M3, Cad 195,70, Behringer B1, B5
Truth 2030, B212D,B215D
Capture, Surface, Studio One Professional
by jonblack4 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:38 am
I Agree - I am familiar enough with Studio One to increase the volume there, but that is much more complicated than I think would be necessary, with all the awesome things that PreSonus has given us over the years.

I use the StudioLive32 Series III mixer in our services. With the newest update, there may be an even easier way to do this?

My Master volume stays @ 0dB. the Pastor Mic is about -7dB. Sounds FANTASTIC in house. Can't be happier. Recording volume is just quiet.

Any other Ideas for our simple recording in Capture?
by wahlerstudios on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:55 pm
You seem to have an internal "loudness competition".. ;-) If the recording volume is too low, but the PA sound is loud enough, your levels simply don't match and you need to re-arrange your "Gain Level Structure".

Try this (just to hear the effect): Turn down the Level knob of your "Main Output" on the back side of your mixer to 12 o'clock. This reduces the output volume and if you want to stick to the "-7" level of the channels and "0" on the Mains, you can only get the missing volume back by turning up the input gains. For speech (dynamic microphone) I would set PreAmp Gain to 40 or 45 dB, for singers not less than 30 dB. The displayed volume should be indicated somewhere near -6 dBFS, where "light green" turns to "yellow". All you need to consider is to NOT touch 0 dBFS aka the red "Overload" indicator... The level meters have different colors for for ranges: dark green (-12 dBFS), light green (-6 dBFS), yellow (-3 dBFS) and red (0 dBFS). If you find out that Capture doesn't need that much input level, lower the input gains and raise the Level on the back of your mixer. It's all "try & error"...

This article from "Technical Articles" might be worth reading: https://www.presonus.com/learn/technical-articles/Meter-Madness.
by bobcrownfield on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:04 pm
jonblack4 wroteI Agree - I am familiar enough with Studio One to increase the volume there, but that is much more complicated than I think would be necessary, with all the awesome things that PreSonus has given us over the years.

I use the StudioLive32 Series III mixer in our services. With the newest update, there may be an even easier way to do this?

My Master volume stays @ 0dB. the Pastor Mic is about -7dB. Sounds FANTASTIC in house. Can't be happier. Recording volume is just quiet.

Any other Ideas for our simple recording in Capture?

it really is simple.

if you record, then the input level is most important.
set it correctly.
if pastor is showing -7 dbf, then it is correct.
set inputs first, then outputs.
watch both meters.
are the pastor and the master meters pretty close?

Bob Crownfield
Studio Session Live
[email protected]
Presonus RML16AI, 16.4.2
sE Electronics sEX1, Rode M2,M3, Cad 195,70, Behringer B1, B5
Truth 2030, B212D,B215D
Capture, Surface, Studio One Professional

6 posts
Page 1 of 1