Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
We have a 32.4.2ai console mixer, are using a PC that is running Windows 10, and we are currently looking at recording some of our sets. The only thing we lack at this point is a Firewire card to install in our PC. The Compatibility lists we have been able to find online are not much help to us. Could someone who understands what is needed please help us by pointing us to some cards that are compatible and good quality?
Thanks in advance for helping us with this.
by dwdrum on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:43 am
The lists are accurate. I just built a new machine and went with the below card. At first, all cards I tried would not work with the drivers that came with it. You have to go into the SO folder and select the driver from their folder. Total B.S. I know, but that's how I finally got my 2x FireStudio projects to see the card.

Hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W ... UTF8&psc=1

Mike Murray | Studio One 3 Professional | Windows 10 Professional 64 | INTEL Core i7 | Nvidia 980ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB SSD, Dual Fire Studio Projects | PRESONUS FanBoy :+1
by matthewgorman on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:01 am
+ 1 for the linked Startech above. They are the only cards I have used, and have had both Expresscard and PCIe cards for my computers.

Bottome line, it all hinges on the FW chipset in the card. From my experience, avoid anything that doesn't have a Texas Instruments chip. You may have to go to the manufacturers website for that information. Sometimes places like Amazon do not have that information in the tech specs on their site, but they usually have a link to the manufacturer right there.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by matthewmiller8 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:55 am
Thank you both for the quick reply. While on this subject, should we upgrade our computer with a good sound card, or will the standard on-board chip be enough for recording? Also, if we need to upgrade the sound card, are there any compatibility guidelines we should be aware of? Thank you very much for your help.
by matthewgorman on Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:23 am
When you have the mixer hooked to the PC via firewire, you can use that as the soundcard.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

5 posts
Page 1 of 1