Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

To start off I am totally new to the Presonus products and am learning on the fly. Problem is I have two days to get this sorted so any help is much appreciated.

My end goal is to record out of an RM16ai to a Macbook Pro via Firewire.

Initially I got it working on a late 2013 iMac with Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter, but due to the nature of our setup I need to record it to the Macbook Pro.

With the Macbook Pro, neither of the Firewire 800 port or Thunderbolt port recognises the RM16ai as an audio Output. In the system settings the Firewire port definitely sees the RM16 desk however nothing shows up in audio devices.

Is there a precise procedure/timing in terms of installing the Capture 2 application and plugging in the Firewire cable etc?

I definitely want to utilize the Capture 2 software as the initially recording on the iMac was seamless!

Any help is much appreciated
by sjc193 on Thu May 05, 2016 7:07 am
Is UC Surface installed on the MacBook? It is the driver for the RM16ai and needs to be installed and the matching version as the firmware on the RM16, I suggest using the latest firmware and software available.

We'll start with that, and go from there if you've got that set up right already

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by longnguyen3 on Thu May 05, 2016 9:45 am
Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

I did a bit of reading and realised that UC Surface was required (someone must have already done that on the iMac), I installed the same version as the PC controlling the RM16 and its happy.

Well at least for two short sessions... After a few sessions the channels dropped out, Capture still saw the RM16 however all my channels did not show up in Capture, instead they were just labelled channel 1, channel 2 so on.

Our PC and RM16AI are both plugged into a switch with internet connection, the Macbook I ran Capture on is connected via Firewire 800 to 800 (original cable that came with the RM16) and is on the wireless.

Does the Macbook have to be on the network via Ethernet for it to work? Only reason I ask is because there was a message that popped up a few times saying something along the lines of limited or no connection to RM16ai. My understand was that all Recording/connection wad done via Firewire.

Lastly, the firmware for the RM16 is not up to date, I would update it immediately however am afraid of breaking anything before our gig this weekend. Would the latest firmware for the RM16 and latest UC version help with stability?

Apologies for the long reply.
by sjc193 on Thu May 05, 2016 4:06 pm
In my experience the latest firmware and software do help with FireWire stability. . . It should be able to work with or without an Ethernet connection.

If you bring the UC Surface up on the MacBook, can it control the rm through FireWire? If so then there may be a settin in capture set wrong, I've seen people have trouble with it setting to stereo input instead of the rm and it doesn't work right that way (sorry I don't remember all the details) but sounds like we're making headway

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by longnguyen3 on Thu May 05, 2016 4:54 pm
Hi Steve, yes the Macbook Pro can control the RM via the Firewire cable.

I'll bite the bullet and do the firmware/software upgrade and see how we go.

Thanks
by longnguyen3 on Mon May 09, 2016 6:31 pm
Figured I'd update in case anyone else had this issue.

I found that if you use a secondary device to record via capture, it works most reliably when it is on the network via ethernet.

Managed to do multiple 40+ min recordings with no issue.
by bobcrownfield on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:39 pm
I am having a similar problem.
Windows 10, a control computer, and a recording computer.
Both were updated yesterday to UC and Capture latest versions.

UC runs on both computers.
RML16AI and both computers are on the local network switch.

Surface on both computers sees the RML, and both Surfaces interact.

The recording laptop has a firewire card which has worked for several years with the 16.4.2. It stil does. Currently both mixers are plugged into the firewire card. Capture sees the 16.4.2 and works normally.
Both computers UC sees the RML16, but of course not the 16.4.2, which is not networked.
When I start Capture and try to start the RML, I get an error message "could not initialize the presonus audio device".
The RML is connected to the firewire.
Rarely error message, 'limited connectivity to RML16AI" will appear.
Strangely, it did work before I updated UC and Capture. I have the recording.

Does new Capture do firewire differently?
Other than the cable which may not be bilingual, what else could it be?

Is there any way to test the cable and know?

Bob Crownfield
Studio Session Live
[email protected]
Presonus RML16AI, 16.4.2
sE Electronics sEX1, Rode M2,M3, Cad 195,70, Behringer B1, B5
Truth 2030, B212D,B215D
Capture, Surface, Studio One Professional
by bobcrownfield on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:09 pm
The answer is very surprising to me.

I moved the firewire connector from plug 1 to plug 2, and the mixer appears. It may have a bad plug.

Everything connects and relates to each other.
The last problem is that when playing back, via the network, to the Surface computer, the sound is distorted. I think the network has the bandwidth, and the firewire has the bandwidth.

Can it be that the firewire cable is not bilingual? Or the firewire 400 card is not?

Bob Crownfield
Studio Session Live
[email protected]
Presonus RML16AI, 16.4.2
Truth 2030, B212D,B215D
by wahlerstudios on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:59 am
"Currently both mixers are plugged into the firewire card. Capture sees the 16.4.2 and works normally."

As it is written FireWire does not allow more than one direct connection of mixer and computer/processing (CPU). The second port can only be used for cascading SL AI boards OR adding a hardware drive with no computer processing. You will NEVER get simultaneous recordings from SL 1642 and RML32AI, due to FireWire limitations and two mixer families, that do not "speak" to each other. You are bringing both mixers together on an electrical level, which most probable leads to defects. If one plug of your FireWire-card (computer?) is defect, this might already be a result of electrical overload. And remember what I wrote about the two plugs on the mixers option card.

"Everything connects and relates to each other."
If you mean that the RML setting works now, while the SL setting also works, I would say things look perfect. It would be interesting to know which software versions you are using now for what (Capture 1 for SL and Capture 2 for RML?), because this might be very interesting to know for people reading this thread. You are doing something really special. Connecting two different worlds is never easy!

"Distortion"- well... You are not describing the recordings you are using. Indeed, recordings with SL old, played in Capture 2, are mostly "high level", which might result in distortion. There is quite a development in the way the gains were handled from the legacy boards to the SL AI boards with their analog pots to the RM boards with their digital trim. From generation to generation you needed less input gain...So it is obvious that their will be differences in older and newer recordings. I see a lot of "clips" with older recordings.

If this is NOT the reason for the distortion I think the problem has to do with the FireWire card and the cable. There is quite some information about Windows versions and FireWire and complete uninstalls and things like that. I am no expert for Windows things, so read what is written and find out what is relevant for your set-up.
by bobcrownfield on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:52 pm
actually both firewire ports should never be able to parallel by firewire definition. always peer to peer. I was talking about the two ports on the laptop express card.

Yes, Capture 2 will connect to the RM, and also to the 16.4.2 without any problems so far.

This needs a new thread.

Bob Crownfield
Studio Session Live
[email protected]
Presonus RML16AI, 16.4.2
Truth 2030, B212D,B215D
by bobcrownfield on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:11 pm
"16.4.2 can play back but RML16AI can not". is a new thread specific to the new problem, and is in the RML forum..

This is getting interesting.
It actually might be a RML16AI defect.

Bob Crownfield
Studio Session Live
[email protected]
Presonus RML16AI, 16.4.2
Truth 2030, B212D,B215D

11 posts
Page 1 of 1