Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have firmware 1.5 on my 16.4.2. I believe I have the latest version of Capture (not in front of me to post which number).

I'm going to firewire the board to my computer. Plan to record using Capture. Plan to use the iPad to have good listeners manage the board out in the audience.

My questions are:

When I looked at the interface, I noticed that I have access to the FADERS, but it appears I do NOT have access to the GAIN dials at the very top of the board. It further appears to me that the faders do NOT affect the signal going to CAPTURE; however, the GAIN dials DO. POINT: If I pre-set the GAIN dials for initial sound check and that's what capture is receiving (level wise), if a stage musician alters his volume.. say UP really loud like most idiots do when they get on a stage .. Am I understanding the paradigm correctly that I'd have to go to the physical board in order to turn the GAIN dial down?
by sjc193 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:20 pm
Yes, you are correct!

That is why I went with an RM32AI this year because it has remote controllable preamps, this way I can control everything from the iPad without making any trips (runs) to the stage when something like that happens, I love it! I used the 16.4.2 for three years and my #1 gripe was that I had to run to the stage to change a preamp. I can't tell you how many times I used extra compressor gain for more signal just to save me the trip LOL

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by marinostathakis on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:39 pm
So, Steve, are you confirming my understanding that whatever the levels are that are set during sound check e.g., getting the MAX signal from each player is what they need to stay at otherwise, I stand the chance of them clipping or sending a distorted signal.
by sjc193 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:39 am
Yes, the signal coming into Capture, is directly after the preamp gain, it could be possible for the input signal from the musician to be turned up so much that it clips the preamp, dorking up the recording.

Typically with microphones it's not much of a problem if you don't have the preamp too high to begin with, but it is still possible to scream into a mic and clip it.

It's the line level direct instruments that can cause the issue much easier because it's tough to know where they had their volume level at during soundcheck, they may be able to double or even triple that volume later in the night which could clip the preamp, this is why I often put a -15 db pad on the DI box for a keyboard if they have a strong signal, that tames them down quite a bit.

I think it's all part of the job, every musician I work with all get the stage volume speech before anything gets turned on, some listen to me, some don't, but at least I did what I could, if they bring their stage volume up so loud it ruins the sound of the show or the recording, it's their own fault, I gave the speech, they didn't listen, what more can I do.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by dougwatson on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:46 am
I'm pretty sure that there's a setting somewhere on the 16.4.2 that allows selecting where in the digital part of signal path the firewire signal is pulled off (I believe, like with Auxes, you can specify pre FAT channel (which is the behavior that you have described) as well as post FAT and also post main faders. (3 different possibilities.) I could be mistaken as I've been using a RM32 for the past year and had a 24.4.2 classic before that...

StudioLive 24.4.2 StudioLive RM32AI MacBookPro OSX 10.8.5 Mac Mini OSX 10.9.5 (In Rack Case with the RM)
by SwitchBack on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:01 pm
Yes, there's the Dig Out / Post EQ&Dyn button where, per channel, you can set the send to the computer to post FAT (but still pre-fader). Still requires a channel gain setting where you're sure the channel won't clip.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1