2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi All , long time lover of my Presonus Gear ! I have an awesome Presonus Firestudio Tube interface thats been rocking my studio for over 10 years and never missed a beat !

We are now doing major upgrades and putting the FireStudio tube into our on line editing suite for AV projects, in this we upgraded all our pc and DAWS to 64 bit tech for the suite.

Once all that was done we got a problem with Win 7 detecting the Firestudio driver and or not allowing it to work.

after a few days pulling hair out we found the problem was with Windows not accepting the FST driver because there is no digital signature. It will also be blocked by your Windows Defender firewall.

Now please note our PC is NEVER put on line because of intellectual property copyright laws and repsect for our clients privacy. So with that in mind we did the following.

Disable Windows defender, copy and paster url below.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15788/ho ... rn-it-off/

Then we disabled windows digital signature

heres how you do that

Hi ineedwin7help,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft answers.

To turn OFF the Digital signature do these steps:-

1. Open the Command Prompt window by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then Right clicking Command Prompt and select
"Run as Administrator".

2. On the Command Prompt type in the command “Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON” without the quotes.

This will disable the Digital Signature.

IF YOU WANT TO TURN IT BACK ON , HERES HOW ...

For more information on Digital Signature, check this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Wind ... -signature

To turn Digital signature on, follow these steps:

1. Open the Command Prompt window by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then Right clicking Command Prompt and select
"Run as Administrator".

2. On the Command Prompt type in the command “Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks OFF” without the quotes.

This will enable the Digital Signature.

Regards,

Microsoft

OK , with me so far ? now what i did was uninstall all the Presonus Universal Control exe

Physically Unplugged the firewire cable from my FST from the PC

did a restart

Then installed the Presonus Universal Control again making sure there are no duplicate folders etc so its aclean install.

did a restart

Once the PC was up and running i then plugged in the Firewire cable to the PC and turned on the FST , the driver uploaded and installed and my FST is now working beautifully as it always has !

PLEASE NOTE !!! My PC in NEVER PUT ON LINE !!! If we do put it on line for updates and upgrades we turn on win defender and digital sigs while its on line. Then turn all off again once we are off line.

NOTE Windows Defender can use some of your Ram as it runs in the background and svchost.exe can use up to 50% of your Ram !! so if you ever get drop outs in your DAW or hang ups CTRL ALT DEL and open your Task Manager , tick show processes from all users and look for the svchost.exe that using your CPU , right click on it and disable that little bugger !

ive been doign this for years and its only ever improved my PC performance.

thank you for your attention !

Maxx Vada maxxdbxx
by maxxvada on Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:01 pm
Hi All , wanted to add some more info on refining the PC background CPU Usage

Once the FST is intalled i noticed my CPU meter going up higher than normal , it usually idles at 0 to 2 % cpu usage but it was now going as high as 15 tp 17% , now this is because of system interupts , so if you go into your Task Manager ( ctrl alt del )

Go to Performance , then Resouce Monitor click on Overview Tab , youll see System Interrupts , take a note of the average usages stats for a base line.

So what i did was change the Texas Instruments driver for my Firewire card to the Legacy Driver , that reduced it by half.

before you start create a restore point in case anything goes wrong ( sometimes i click the wrong button when following instructions and reversing things can hurt my brain )

OK !
do the following

Go to, Start, Control Panel ( top left select large icons ) , Device Manager , go to IEEE 1394 bus host controller , open drop down , douple click on your driver , go to Driver Tab , click on Update Driver , click on Browse My Computer for driver software , click on Let Me Pick from a list , you will see the " 1394 OHCI Complient Host Controller ( Legacy ) " click on that , Click on NEXT and youre in !

Now go back to the resource monitor and check to see the base line has been improved.

this should halve your system interrupts.

Hope this helps !

Maxx Vada maxxdbxx

2 posts
Page 1 of 1