Discuss Progression - tab, notation & songwriting for guitar, bass, keyboards and drums
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
The manual does not explain. I wonder if I am looking at the right manual, i.e. the right version or even the right program.

I click on the fretboard. Nothing. I click on the menu down below, quarter note, whole note, etc. Nothing.

How do you input notes?
by Grantham on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:26 am
Wow, a month gone by, without a reply.

Without a single posting about anything, in fact.

Must be a heck of a product.
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:42 pm
Grantham wroteThe manual does not explain. I wonder if I am looking at the right manual, i.e. the right version or even the right program.

I click on the fretboard. Nothing. I click on the menu down below, quarter note, whole note, etc. Nothing.

How do you input notes?

It's easier in NOTION 6 . . .

There are several ways to input notes . . .

(1) One way is to use the keyboard that NOTION 6 provides, which initially looks like the following image:

When it looks like this, you can click on notes and hear them; but nothing is input to the selected staff. . .

So, when you want to input notes using the keyboard, you need to click on the pencil icon, which puts NOTION 6 into input mode:

[NOTE: I drew a red box around the pencil icon to make it easier to find . . . ]

This will cause a note to be input each time you click on a key; and the note will be a quarter note unless you change it so some other type of note, for example an eighth note or a sixteenth note . . .

The staff where the notes are being input will change to a yellow-tan background . . .

When you are finished inputting notes, click on the pencil icon to end the input . . .

The fretboard works the same way; but it's for guitar and bass, although it can be used for other types of stringed instruments once you learn the more advanced options and how to configure stringed instrument staves in Score Setup . . .

(2) You can use the Tools Palette to select a type of note, which changes the mouse pointer; and then you use the mouse pointer to click on a staff where you want to place the note . . .

Once the mouse pointer is set to a type of note, it will stay that way until you press the "ESC" key; so you can use the mouse pointer to enter a lot of notes, not just one note . . .

[NOTE: I drew a red box around the Note tab of the Tools Palette to make it easier to find . . . ]

First, you click on the Note tab (see above); but then you need to click on the type of note you want to input (whole note, half note, quarter note, and so forth) . . .

This is explained in the NOTION 6 User Guide starting on page 8.4, and there is more information on dotted notes and lots of other stuff pertaining to this type of inputting notes, which is called using the 'Entry Palette", since these things need to have unambiguous names . . .

Here in the sound isolation studio, everything is found on the Tools Palette; and this is mostly what I remember . . .

If you asked me to jump to the Entry Palette, I might remember this for a day or two; but by the end of this week, I would be a bit confused until I paused and pondered what you were trying to ask me to do . . .

In some respects, everything here in the sound isolation studio is "stuff"; and I find it easier to remember a lot of "stuff" than to remember a lot of different names for "stuff" . . .

When I first decided to teach myself how to play lead guitar, I made very little progress for the first year; and mostly just changed and tuned the guitar strings several times a day; because that was all I knew how to do . . .

By the start of the second year, I was very skilled at changing and tuning guitar strings; and the folks at the local music store loved me; because I bought guitar strings by the case every week . . .

Then I had the idea of playing a song at half speed so the lead guitar notes would sound like bass notes, which worked very nicely because I already knew how to play electric bass . . .

I learned a lead guitar solo as a bass part and then played it gradually faster and an octave higher; and about a month later, playing lead guitar was starting to make sense; but it was so daunting that I was not completely confident I could do it . . .

And then I had the epiphany . . .

With two exceptions, every lead guitar solo ever recorded was played by a guitar player with four fingers and a thumb on each hand; and I met that requirement . . .

It was possible, so it was just a matter of doing it, which is what I did . . .

The two exceptions are Hound Dog Taylor who had an extra finger on his left hand and Django Reinhardt who only used two fingers and thumb on the fretboard . . .

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I didn't need to learn a lot of elaborate names for everything . . .

I just needed to realize that I could do it, which is the way I relate to "stuff" . . .

Later, as time allows, I start learning the names for everything and how it all works in great detail; but I always remember the perspective when everything is just "stuff"; because most of the time it's easier to remember "stuff" . . .

[NOTE: This is a headphone mix; and it was done in 2007 when I was doing everything with real instruments and composing stuff in real-time on the fly on the first take, which I did for several years based on the idea that the Aliens From Outer Space might beam me, my Stratocaster, Marshall Stack, and effects pedals onto a stage where Elvis would look at me and say, "Take it!", at which point I would need to play a lead guitar solo, which at first was a frightening thought; but after a few years of doing it, I discovered the rule, which is that you don't think about it with your conscious mind. Your unconscious mind already knows everything--provided you studied and practiced playing lead guitar a lot--so you let your unconscious mind run the show for a while. Play enough notes very rapidly, and at least some of them will sound good; and this includes playing the same three notes over and over and over . . . :+1 ]

phpBB [video]

(3) You can use a MIDI keyboard to input notes, either one note at a time (Step mode) or by playing the notes in real-time (Record mode) . . .

You need to tell NOTION 6 about the MIDI keyboard you are using; and this is explained in the NOTION 6 User Guide . . .

THOUGHTS

I generally do everything with the mouse; but occasionally I use a MIDI keyboard or the NOTION 6 keyboard or fretboard . . .

There are hotkeys you can use to change the type of note, where for example "q" makes it a quarter note, and "e" makes it an eighth note . . .

This also is explained in the NOTION 6 User Guide . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

3 posts
Page 1 of 1