Discuss Notion for iPad and iPhone here.
1 post
Page 1 of 1
When I write a full score for orchestra or band, it is fairly standard to put two parts on one staff (flutes, clarinets, etc.), but I have encountered one problem with doing this: first, say that staff’s key signature is Eb. If the first part (in the upper voice) has a natural sign, I will switch to the lower voice to write in the second part, and if they happen to be the same note, one will show a natural, and the other will show a flat, even though they are basically the same note (one head with two stems pointing in opposite directions). Sometimes, I can correct this if it’s an eighth, quarter, or half note, but whole notes remain with two signs and will not allow any change. I can highlight each accidental sign, but clicking Erase does nothing but change the yellow back to black. If I left those accidentals that way, you would hear a minor second clash on playback, and it’s not supposed to be an atonal piece! How can I fix this? Has anybody else run into this? Thanks for any suggestions.

Secondly, why does the program enter an Fb when I want an E, and a Bbb when I want an A? That doesn’t seem to keep to the scales as I remember them!

I really don’t want to have to write each flute, clarinet, trumpet, and trombone line on its own staff, because that is more work, and seems redundant, when most scores I’ve seen have multiple parts for the same instrument combined on a single staff. If it weren’t for the double-accidental problem, I would be fine.

PARTLY SOLVED. If I take a hint from orchestral technique and write just a single line (with only one stem per note) with “a2” above the first shared note, it avoids the “flat over a natural” issue, but perhaps this could be addressed in a feature request or a future update. Don’t get me wrong: I love the app. How else could one carry an entire orchestra around for under twenty dollars?

1 post
Page 1 of 1