Discuss Notion for iPad and iPhone here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I just bought a 12” iPad Pro (2nd gen, the latest), largely for use with Notion for iOS. I did this after testing with both my older iPad Air 2 and even my iPhone SE, on which I wrote up the beginning of an orchestral cue (with 7 to 10 simultaneous notes) and found it played back perfectly on both of those older devices. Based on that, I assumed the newer, faster iPad Pro wouldn’t even break a sweat playing back the same cue ... but now I find that, on the iPad Pro, that same cue’s audio (completely unchanged from the version on the other devices) gets all glitchy and garbled? How is it possible that the new device apparently can’t handle what the older, slower devices handled with ease? I’m finding this very discouraging, as using Notion on it was one of the two main reasons I bought the iPad Pro (and an Apple Pencil to go with it).
by jonathanmcmillan1 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:01 am
Try to narrow down the cause...iPad speakers are bad? Memory leak? App is corrupted on iPad?

Just some ideas to try and find the cause...

Close all other apps in the background and try playback
Reboot iPad (isn't there some hard reset or something?)
Solo each mixer channel one by one to find if one instrument or a combo of them is causing it?
Export as a wav and see if playback is garbled
Play the exported wav on different device or speakers (air drop it to SE?)
Delete and reinstall the app
Start a new score with 10 instruments to see if playback is garbled

Maybe one of these will give a clue to what's going on.
Good luck!
by davidsandberg1 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:32 pm
jonathanmcmillan1 wroteTry to narrow down the cause...iPad speakers are bad? Memory leak? App is corrupted on iPad?

Just some ideas to try and find the cause...

Close all other apps in the background and try playback
Reboot iPad (isn't there some hard reset or something?)
Solo each mixer channel one by one to find if one instrument or a combo of them is causing it?
Export as a wav and see if playback is garbled
Play the exported wav on different device or speakers (air drop it to SE?)
Delete and reinstall the app
Start a new score with 10 instruments to see if playback is garbled

Maybe one of these will give a clue to what's going on.
Good luck!

I found the apparent cause of this: the piano part in my transcription is using the sustain pedal "Ped" notation. As soon as I remove that notation, the playback is fine … whereas when it is present, the glitches get worse and worse over time, even if the piano is just playing the same part repeatedly, and continuing indefinitely after the piano part ends (if I never add a pedal up indication). That's what confused me at first … the glitches were worst after the piano part ended. It's as if each played piano note is sustaining indefinitely, including more than one instance of the same note if it had been repeated.

I'd have expected that, even with the "Ped" notation in place, the Notion engine would stop playing piano notes that have faded into silence, and also that any new sounding of middle C (for example) would replace an existing, ringing middle C, rather than being added as a 2nd voice. That's how a real instrument works, after all. But at least now I know what to avoid doing with piano parts if I want Notion to play back properly.

It is also still strange that this didn't happen on the older devices, even with the infinite "Ped" marking. It's as if the engine changes to letting things ring forever on the Pro. If so, I would have to question that design.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1