Discuss Notion for iPad and iPhone here.
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi All - I play saxophone in a cover band so I use Cubasis to import the original song wav file, then I mimic the sax line with a virtual instrument and create the midi file. My most common use for Notion is to open that midi file created in Cubasis and use the resulting Notion file as my sheet music score.

Many times the sax part doesn't come in until say, 8 bars after the start of the song. Can Notion show those 8 bars of rests as a single bar with "8" under the whole note rest, instead of 8 bars, each with a single whole note rest?

Thanks!
by Kiwicomposer on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:57 pm
The Answer is YES

Look at the setting "cog" at the bottom of the screen and select either iPad View Settings (or the Parts Settings for dynamic parts ). On each there is a More button .. On that is the Muti-bar test setting..

I think, from memory, the number in there is the consecutive number of bar rests to show as individual bars before converting to a MultiBar rest. So for example if you set the number to 6 It will show 5 individual bars but as soon at it has 6 it will convert them too a Multibar rest.

I suggest you test it and see.

Here is an iPad screenshot
photo.PNG

Steve Currington
Wellington, New Zealand

Presonus Audiobox1818vsl, Presonus Audiobox USB, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Presonus Faderport, Presonus Monitor Station v2, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 keyboard, KMI QuNeo & QuNexus, sundry other external FX hardware, mics, plugins & instruments.
Studio One v2.6.3, Sibelius v7.x, Notion v5.x, Progression v3.x, Melodyne Editor v2.1.2, Logic 9.x
iMac's & MacBookAir all running OSX Mavericks 10.9.5

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by Kiwicomposer on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:02 pm
Forgot to mention the same is available on the desktop version too.
On the desktop it is under the Score Menu.

See below for the desktop version
Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 11.45.15 am.png

Steve Currington
Wellington, New Zealand

Presonus Audiobox1818vsl, Presonus Audiobox USB, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Presonus Faderport, Presonus Monitor Station v2, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 keyboard, KMI QuNeo & QuNexus, sundry other external FX hardware, mics, plugins & instruments.
Studio One v2.6.3, Sibelius v7.x, Notion v5.x, Progression v3.x, Melodyne Editor v2.1.2, Logic 9.x

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by kevinweithman on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:07 am
Hi Steve - thanks for pointing that out! Unfortunately my file is not responding to any of the multibar rest settings. I've tried a second midi file to test - no luck on that one either.
Last edited by kevinweithman on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
by Kiwicomposer on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:09 am
Experiment and If it is not working then log a Tech Support ticket so that the tech support team can assist.

Steve Currington
Wellington, New Zealand

by mikerosen on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:57 am
OK, here's what I have come up with:

First, your score has to have AT LEAST two instruments.
Go to the Gear>View...>Dynamic Parts... and select the part you want.
Next, Gear>Parts Setting>More tab
On this tab, in Multi-measure rests, select 2, and OK. This will put a MMR anywhere you have at least two empty measures. Actually, you're supposed to use the number equal to or just less than the spots where you want the rest, but if you just have one long one, it doesn't really matter.

Note that this will only show in the part, not in the full score.

Hope this helps!

Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA

IPad Pro with Apple pencil, always the latest iOS
Just a dabbler with Notion. Much more familiar with Finale!
by kevinweithman on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:44 am
Hi Mike - thanks! I was able to duplicate your findings using someone else's multi-instrument midi file. However, this need for at least 2 parts seems like a work-around, especially to me, who has no need/desire to create a second midi track just so I can make my lead sheet?
by mikerosen on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:44 pm
That second staff isn't a workaround; it's specified in the Help files. Just add another, empty staff to your score. When you specify the part for your lead sheet, it doesn't show. This might also work if you add a staff to your score, and hide it, there.

Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA

IPad Pro with Apple pencil, always the latest iOS
Just a dabbler with Notion. Much more familiar with Finale!
by kevinweithman on Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:14 pm
Mike - wow, easier done than said! ;-)

I simply added another instrument via Score Settings (without any midi data, of course), and based on my previous setting attempts, the dynamic view popped up with the multi bar rests in place - voila!

Thanks!

9 posts
Page 1 of 1