9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm trying to figure out custom rules for a new instrument I've purchased, Blakus Cello. It's a KONTAKT 5 Player instrument. I was trying to start with something simple; changing the technique to pizzicato. I create a condition, if technique is pizz. and send a keyswitch (D#2) which is supposed to change the instrument to Pizzicato. Nothing happens. Driving me crazy!!!

By the way, I can create a staff and send the keyswitches by entering the appropriate notes on the staff, so I know that the instrument is responding to the keyswitches. I just can't figure out how to send the keyswitch using rules instead of notes on a staff.

Anybody help me? Some example of a very basic rule set would help. I've tried looking at the VSL Special Edition Prules as a go-by, but I can't see that it's doing anything different than what I am.

Help!!!

Michael

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by wcreed on Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:20 pm
It's actually D#1. Different programs use different starting points for naming octaves.

Bill Reed
Notion 6, Dorico, StaffPad, Overture , Studio One, Cubase
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM; iPad2; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Forster 190
by michaelmyers1 on Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:50 pm
wcreed wroteIt's actually D#1. Different programs use different starting points for naming octaves.

Good to know, but actually the keyswitch as identified by the instrument is D#0. I made a mistake typing. Anyway, I've tried D#-1, D#0, and D#1 and nothing works.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by michaelmyers1 on Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:54 pm
michaelmyers1 wrote
wcreed wroteIt's actually D#1. Different programs use different starting points for naming octaves.

Good to know, but actually the keyswitch as identified by the instrument is D#0. I made a mistake typing. Anyway, I've tried D#-1, D#0, and D#1 and nothing works.

OK Brilliant. Bill you were right, it was an octave difference. OK, so now i'm on my way...

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by johnnewberry on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:13 pm
Michael,
I know how frustrating it is to get a vst and not be able to use it in Notion.
After 3-4 years, a little at a time I have gotten most of my vst Instruments using custom rules in Notion..
One of the great things about Notion is the ability to use custom rules.
Besides the use of prules I would suggest ReWire and a DAW master.

Sounds like your at a turning point. A new vsti at the doorstep. The "Blakus Cello".
If you post the technique, key-switching and controllers used by the Blakus Cello here you may get some good suggestions about prules.

Time spent learning might yield lean results at first and be quite a detour from studying and writing music. But I have to be honest. It's worth it.

You may already know that some coding data can be copied from other existing files.
To access all of the capabilities of Notion and the capabilities of a given vsti can take some time.

You mentioned, a simple place to start and I agree is the pizzicato "pizz" technique. Then, maybe the "vib." vibrato technique.
After those I've found it easier to expand onto other techniques and instructions.

Rules document structure, formatting and terminology is good thing to explore also as a primer.

I hope to post some simple examples that will help users get started with the creation and editing of custom rule-sets.
That would include a method of how to identify and pick which rules will work.

I'm obviously not an expert and cannot cover all the details or answer all questions. Especially since Notion has not released a user accessible document of the complete description and explanation of features accessed through the use of custom rules.

A good tool to aid in viewing data flow is a MIDI monitor.
Here's what I use. It's for Windows yet I'm sure there's a Mac equivalent.

http://www.midiox.com/
i-o monitoring.PNG

,Newberry

:arrow:
by jimmennell on Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:07 pm
I'm hoping that I'm posting this in the right area, as I have been looking at the ruleset functionality in Notion 5 and it looks really useful. The problem is I can only get to partly work. Here's the problem:

I want to notate drums using conventional drum notation as well as mapping the notes on the staff to the relevant sounds in Addictive drums. To that effect I started building a custom rule set. This basically maps Midi note "x" for note "y". Additionally it will remap based on note type x, x inside a circle etc.

Basically the rule works fine in playback (very exciting!), but when inputting the notes (via mouse) the original, non-transposed notes are heard. Is this a bug or is that the way the rules work? I attach a rudimentary (!) prules file.

I want to create a rule set so that I can input the notes and hear them both when I input them as well as on playback. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Attachments
Addictive Drums.prules
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
by johnnewberry on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:07 pm
jimmennell wrote when inputting the notes (via mouse) the original, non-transposed notes are heard. Is this a bug or is that the way the rules work? I attach a rudimentary (!) prules file.

I want to create a rule set so that I can input the notes and hear them both when I input them as well as on playback. Does anyone know if this is possible?

No it is not a bug

Yes it is the way Notion reads Custom Rules.

<fixed-pitch pitch="xx"/> Does not do anything until playback where then the rule document is scanned before each note-on event in real-time.

,Newberry

by johnnewberry on Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:07 am
michaelmyers1 wrote By the way, I can create a staff and send the keyswitches by entering the appropriate notes on the staff, so I know that the instrument is responding to the keyswitches. I just can't figure out how to send the keyswitch using rules instead of notes on a staff.

Question!
You didn't mention if you selected from the rules list and actually "applied" the rules "name-text object" to the staff you are testing the rule on.

Have you had any success with the Notion editor?

Learning and Testing.
Testing and Learning.

Perseverance is Paramount.

A suggestion if I may. In order to not go crazy - divide the time you spend using Notion into at least 2 separate activities.

1. Time spent on music in Notion.(with little or no computer detractions).

2. Technical, evaluation and developmental testing. (with minimal music mental distraction)

michaelmyers1 wrote I've tried looking at the VSL Special Edition Prules as a go-by, but I can't see that it's doing anything different than what I am.

Which ones?
As a go-by to /for what?
doing different?

The VSL SE prules I posted here a while back are basically the built-in rules
that had the changes needed to use them with Notion 5's new method of loading, managing , and applying custom rulesets to a staff.

I asked if anyone had tried them. They were to be used as a starting point.

I don't have the vst sound lib's so there's no way to know if the worked..
I think the rule name was VSL ed_N5_001.prules

They're the string portion of the Notion vsl Pro .prules files. Don't recall which one.

Did you load and test any technique or articulations?
Developing good testing methods and an instinct to find solutions should be the goal.
Load in a VSL string bank, instrument or instance whatever and test!

Make a copy of them. Load them into the Notion Editor. Change existing rule elements to parameters you've verified and test the results.

,Newberry

P.s. The Blakus Cello needs and deserves to be automated in a DAW.
Notion External MIDI+StudioOne ReWire sessions and the right controller?
    Check out the controller this guy uses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkcek1bFJw

by johnnewberry on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:37 pm
To test the staff applied rule document, do not load any Notion vsl presets in this model.

Load vsl instruments as an vst from the Score Setup Window.

Otherwise the staff applied rule-set will not work. I don't don't think.
In fact try sending MIDI out of Notion directly to the "VSL in stand-alone" to test rules you have created, changed and developed. That's the simplest linking to the custom rule set and VSLvst.

,Newberry

9 posts
Page 1 of 1