6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I'm trying to create my own ruleset for VSL cube.

I choosed to work with Vienna Ensemble (externaly loaded) which will contain all the orchestra instruments (because Notion crashs too often when loading high number of VST). Then in Notion, I create external midi instruments (violins, cellos, etc.), sending to Vienna Ensemble with LoopMidi (four ports of 16 channels).

The beginning of the rules creations started well, but I can't find how to create Midi Techniques (pizz, etc.).
I understand that one can make presets for instruments, but as I'm working with External midi I don't know how to do that (there is no instrument in Notion in this case, only midi...) ?

Is someone know how to do this ?

Thanksfully,

Terry
by Karmasutra69 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:32 am
Hi again,

I found how to have new techniques with presets files. I've created a preset XML, and an instrument file with new personnal techniques. However, in the instrument file, I didn't use a VST instrument but an external midi.
The instrument file works fine.

But if I recall the VST preset in a new Notion score, if everything seems fine (new techniques, layout, etc.), there is no external midi anymore. So this is not working for me and I really wonder why...

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks

Terry
by michaelmyers1 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:12 pm
I'm not sure why you are using the external midi send. You can send directly to Vienna Ensemble as a Notion instrument. You just have to create a separate staff for it. See my tutorial here (it's a bit old but still applies for the most part):

phpBB [video]

Let me know if you have any questions!

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Karmasutra69 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:34 pm
Hi, and thanks a lot for your answer.

I looked carefully at your tutorials and yes, it's working now, thanks a lot ! :)

However, I discovered that the parts names change after the instrument change. So except for the first page, I lose all parts names afterwards (it's written VSL Ensemble everywhere...very confusing when composing).

Is it possible to correct this behaviour ?

Thanks a lot again !
by Karmasutra69 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:43 pm
Ah, found ! All I have to do is simply rename the label of the Instrument Change by double clicking on it !

Hurray !!

:lol:
by michaelmyers1 on Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:06 pm
Karmasutra69 wroteThanks a lot again !

Happy to help! :thumbup:

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard