4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I want to ask anyone who is using Notion for choir music - if you use a VST (I use 8dio Requiem via Kontakt), how do you get the different sounds to trigger on different notes?
The melodic line is on one single staff, however the sounds (even simple ooh aah etc) belong to different instruments in Kontakt.
Is there a rule I can create for this, or any other ideas?

I hope it's clear what I want to achieve, it's nothing complicated - have a Soprano staff, and get different sounds out of the VST on different notes. Unoftunately, at least with 8dio, I need to use different "instruments" to get different vowels.

Thanks a lot!
by michaelmyers1 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 pm
I can think of a couple of different conceptual approaches, but since I don't have Requiem, I can't say which would be better, but maybe these thoughts might help...

1) One approach would be to create a different staff for each different vowel and assign them as unique separate instruments. Could be a pain depending on how much variation and changes you want between the different syllable sounds. You'd have to create rests in multiple staffs while the one staff sounded, but for a simple piece, might be totally workable.

2) You could create a Kontakt Multi Instrument that contains one instrument for each syllable, assign them to different MIDI channels, then write a simple ruleset that uses some symbol (I sometimes use '+' sign or 'H' or other symbol similar) to trigger the different instruments (syllables) via MIDI channel change message. That way you would only have one staff, and no need to use Change Instrument for every syllable change. I've done this before for changing between legato and non-legato instances of an Embertone or Bohemian cello, as an example, when I need to play double stops since the legato modes on these instruments will not allow polyphonic playing.

3) The above were my initial thoughts, then I went to check out Requiem. It's a seriously deep library! It looks like you can assign a MIDI CC controller to any syllable by right-clicking on it in the Kontakt Player (this is a native Kontakt function) and assigning it to an unused control (maybe CC50 through 60 or some other controls that the instrument doesn't use for anything else). Then you can create a ruleset as above that will switch the syllable by sending the MIDI controller message related to a symbol (as in 2). You will have to place the symbol above every note that changes syllable, but I've done that before. This would be my first choice, as it is most efficient in terms of CPU load, and everything can be controlled in one instrument. Another advantage is that you can use the same ruleset and symbols for SAT and B.

Hope this helps!

Mike

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by dumitrudabija on Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:19 pm
thank you so much for such a detailed and thorough answer!
Requiem is a great library but I haven't been able to properly use it in a score (until now, that is).
This is gold.

Many thanks!
Dumitru
by michaelmyers1 on Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:33 pm
Glad to help!

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard