4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey all,
I'm exploring making some custom rules for the libraries I use (Cinesamples, among others). I think I've got the basics figured out. A question: is there any way to avoid sending a keyswitch/CC on every note? Or, to put it another way, is it possible for a rule to be aware of what the most recent keyswitch was?

Right now, when I export MIDI and bring it into my DAW for further work, every note has a keyswitch. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but the documentation is a little unclear on this. All that extra MIDI data makes the editing pretty gnarly, and on a large scale could cause performance issues.

Best idea I can come up with is a "custom technique" that could be set/unset, and then tested against. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike
User avatar
by mikesayre on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:11 pm
I did come to a somewhat better solution: Cinesamples makes it fairly easy to use CC's instead of keyswitches. Using that mapping and having extra CC data is not as bothersome as redundant keyswitches.

I did figure out how to remove redundant keyswitches under slurs by combining conditions like so:

To Turn legato on (using CC64 before the first slurred note only)
Is Under Slur
Not Slurred Attack

To turn it off
Is Under Slur
Not Slurred release

Still interested in other's ideas though, especially for libraries that don't make it easy to use CC's.
User avatar
by joeloduca on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:41 pm
Hi mikesayre, I think I am following you on your original post. You had an interesting sentence there. Like you had 1 keyswitch note per note that is played by your instrument. It just so happens that yesterday I wrote a 21 line macro that does exactly this. I do a lot of big band jazz where I might have 14 or so various horns run by a variety of Virtual instruments. I wanted a way to do a bit of "roughing in" with regards to keyswitching those VI samples. The basic concept for me was to find long notes in the monophonic MIDI track and produce (insert) the sustained keyswitch.. then do the same process for short notes and its keyswitch. So the macro runs beautifully and shaves about 45 minutes per track of intense keyswitch editing.. But I end up with what you described, my macro creates a keyswitch note on the far bottom (one for every note) - but what the macro also does is take the keyswitch notes and makes them all a 32nd in length and sets the velocity very low. -like maybe a value of 2.. then the macro shifts to keyswitches just to the left a 32nd note value. so when I play the MIDI track, you first have the keyswitch, then a 32nd note value in time is where that intentional note you want to hear is being played. I think you mentioned having a lot of midi data this way, like maybe its too much.. Not sure how big your projects get, but mine, I pretty much push my PC towards suicide and it does very well. I never have slowness issues with all the keyswitch data. And I have generally about 8 or so instances of Kontakt, IvoryII, superior drummer etc, doing everything.. within the many instances of knotakt, I can easily have 14 to 16 monophonic horn tracks with each note getting a keyswitch.. not a single issue yet with timing..

I was looking at presonus to see if there was a way to share my macro with others in case someone was interested in getting it.. I don't see where can be done but still looking..

all the best to you..

XPS 8930 Intel Core i7 9700 3.0GHz Processor; NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 1TB SSD; on Windows 10. Interface: PreSonus SL24.4.2 on firewire400. Studio One Pro 5 | Melodyne Editor 5 | IvoryII | IK-Multimedia | Kontakt
Roland Fantom X | Roland RD600
User avatar
by mikesayre on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:01 pm
Thanks for the response, Joe.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest