8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone, Notion users and Notion developers!

First, I wish you a very happy new year 2019 !

I have been very busy during the past months and have not posted yet my presets for Hans Zimmer Percussion, Freyja & Wotan and Cinematic Studio Brass that I acquired recently (and it sounds fantastic in Notion!). I will share these presets and my templates with you very soon.

In the meantime, I wanted to share with you the work I have done in Notion with my sound libraries to show you the amazing possibilities offered by this software for integrating third party VSTs and for doing audio mockups (I hope the Notion developers will see this post and will continue to improve Notion in this direction)!

For my previous compositions, at this time I did not have the ability to save my own presets (it was not possible in Notion in 2015 and before) so I created my own custom templates. If you want to see how I have made the sound libraries work with Notion please send me a private message and I will send the Notion files to you. It was not perfect at the time, and the presets and templates I'm doing now are much more accomplished.

I made some videos, but please note that in most of them nothing was properly edited in Notion because during the composition process I was more focused on the sound and I did not correct the composition errors and the score layout afterwards - sorry for that !

Do not hesitate if you have questions, I will answer you as soon as possible !

Best wishes,

Matthieu Dulong

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Polar Theme"
Music composed in the spirit of some novels by Agatha Christie.
- The brass, percussions and strings are from East West Hollywood Brass & Strings Gold.
- The drums are from East West Ministry Of Rock
- The prepared piano samples and other toys are from East West Stormdrum 2
- The winds (not used) are from East West Hollywood Woodwinds
- The saxophone is from Vienna Symphonic Library

phpBB [video]
Last edited by matthieudulong on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

by matthieudulong on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:48 pm
« Amour retrouvé »
Music composed for a scene between two lovers.
- The brass, percussions and strings are from East West Hollywood Brass & Strings Gold.
- The woodwinds are from Vienna Symphonic Library
- The choir is from East West Quantum Leap Choir
- The harp is from East West Hollywood Harp

phpBB [video]
Last edited by matthieudulong on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

by matthieudulong on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:21 am
Hello everyone !
My presets for Hans Zimmer Percussion are almost done and I'm doing the Cinematic Studio Brass presets right now.
Here is a short test on Notion to show you how it all sounds for the moment.
The track is from "Knights March" (King Arthur) by Hans Zimmer and it is very incomplete, not mixed at all but I think it sounds very well on Notion !

phpBB [video]

by ericgriffin1 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:15 pm
Sounds good. Waiting patiently :)

Eric
by carstenandersen1 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 am
Hi Marrhieu,
I have started to make custom rules for eastwest Hollywood stribus but not sure if i am on the right path
I would like to know how you do it and see your ruleset - did You post it? Or can you send?
Salutations
Carsten
by matthieudulong on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 am
Hello Carsten,

It's been a while since I no longer use the Hollywood Strings (I replaced them with Cinematic Studio Strings) but I can send you some models that I had made for you to see how I did to run these sound banks in Notion :)

Hollywood Strings and Play 5 (the East West player) are still difficult to seamlessly integrate into Notion because Notion 6 still does not allow at this time to send MIDI CC information to channels other than the first channel used for the staff, and unfortunately Play 5 does not allow (still!) to customize its keyswitching system (which would bypass the problem of Notion 6 sending only velocity information - and MIDI CC non-continuous - when we change the MIDI channel in the rules).

Moreover (and as is the case every time we use legato patches in all sound banks) I must find a solution to solve the problem of notes played after time in Notion: in a legato patch when you press a key, you first hear the transition from the previous note to the next note, so there is always a small delay. This is annoying when an instrument plays legato (there is therefore a small delay to each note) and another instrument play staccato or pizzicato (short notes are usually heard immediately) at the same time. I managed to get around this problem with the Kontakt player (using the Kontakt delay so that all playing styles are aligned to the same delay value to be played in rhythm) but I have not found a solution for Play 5.

All I am saying seems certainly a little technical and maybe not very understandable, so in summary:
I have not improved my Notion models with East West since 2016/2017 but I got to work with it in Notion (even if it can not be done as fluently and optimally as Cinematic Studio Strings and Cinematic Studio Brass - that I will share with you soon!), but I can send you my East West templates by private message so you can see how I was doing it and I can explain everything to you by private message :)

Yours truly,

Matthieu Dulong

by leandrononatomartins on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:56 am
matthieudulong wroteHello Carsten,

It's been a while since I no longer use the Hollywood Strings (I replaced them with Cinematic Studio Strings) but I can send you some models that I had made for you to see how I did to run these sound banks in Notion :)

Hollywood Strings and Play 5 (the East West player) are still difficult to seamlessly integrate into Notion because Notion 6 still does not allow at this time to send MIDI CC information to channels other than the first channel used for the staff, and unfortunately Play 5 does not allow (still!) to customize its keyswitching system (which would bypass the problem of Notion 6 sending only velocity information - and MIDI CC non-continuous - when we change the MIDI channel in the rules).

Moreover (and as is the case every time we use legato patches in all sound banks) I must find a solution to solve the problem of notes played after time in Notion: in a legato patch when you press a key, you first hear the transition from the previous note to the next note, so there is always a small delay. This is annoying when an instrument plays legato (there is therefore a small delay to each note) and another instrument play staccato or pizzicato (short notes are usually heard immediately) at the same time. I managed to get around this problem with the Kontakt player (using the Kontakt delay so that all playing styles are aligned to the same delay value to be played in rhythm) but I have not found a solution for Play 5.

All I am saying seems certainly a little technical and maybe not very understandable, so in summary:
I have not improved my Notion models with East West since 2016/2017 but I got to work with it in Notion (even if it can not be done as fluently and optimally as Cinematic Studio Strings and Cinematic Studio Brass - that I will share with you soon!), but I can send you my East West templates by private message so you can see how I was doing it and I can explain everything to you by private message :)

Yours truly,

Matthieu Dulong

Hello Matthieu! I'm very curious on how your hollywood strings integrates with notion. Can you send me some template?
by javiersuarez1 on Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:31 pm
Hi Matthieu,

I’d like to email you in order to learn how to integrate Hollywood instruments with notion 6. My email is [email protected]. I’ll be so grateful in case you share your templates.

Thank you so much and excuse me for my english

8 posts
Page 1 of 1