3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Just recently returned to using Notion after a long hiatus, and made the leap to Notion 6 from Notion 4. Anyway, I was very familiar with the Notion 4 custom rules system, but I'm not sure if there's a way to convert my Notion 4 rulesets for use in Notion 6?

I understand the Notion 6 rulesets that can be imported and exported are a different format than Notion 4 rulesets. However, I think the program is still capable of reading the Notion 4 rules format, because the prules files for the built-in presets like Miroslav and VSL are still in the old format. They just moved the dynamic-map after the plugin id.

But I'm looking for a way to use Notion 4 rules I wrote for a Kontakt-based instrument. I was hoping that the old format rules could still be used as long as the dynamic map is moved after the plugin id. But that isn't working. I don't know if Notion 6 even looks in the "Rules" subfolder with the composition file anymore?

So, to make a long story short, does anyone know if there's a way to use a Notion 4 ruleset without tediously converting the xml manually to the Notion 6 format and then importing it?
by elerouxx on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:10 pm
Hey, sorry for the late answer. I think you might have figured it out by now.

Custom rules still work. I wrote some Miroslav custom rules in 4, however I had to change some very little things to work properly in Notion 6.

The new about rules in Notion 6 is that they now have an interface to edit rules and apply them to any staff. The custom rules in the Rules folder (inside a plugin directory in support/PluginData) use an ID number to identify the supported plugins, for example: Miroslav, or GPO. With the new system this is not needed.

The downside is that complex rules would take too long to write in this basic interface, but the good news is that you can write the rules in XML files (as the former system) and import them into this interface, then apply to every staff you want regardless of the plugin ID.

I am just taking my old 'custom rules' and ripping them into smaller 'rule snippets' that work in any VST and can be just stored in a folder and invoked when needed by importing them and placing them in staves.

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
Win 10 i7 Desktop / Win 8.1 % Win 10 Surface Pro // Notion 6.3.454 64 bit
by dcd111 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:02 pm
Thank you for your detailed reply. I ultimately figured it out, as you suspected. With some experimenting using the Notion GUI to see examples of the xml it exports, and some clever use of search and replace in my text editor, it actually doesn't take as long to convert Notion 4 format rulesets to Notion 6 as I expected.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1