3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello.
I have written a score in which I use 3 horns.
Horns 1 & 2 are on the same staff and the staff has a G key.
Horn 3 is written on a separate staff but with a key of F.
When I play the score, there is no problem, all the horns sound at the correct pitch.
In Notion; if I choose the display "score transposed", the horn 3 is 1 octave to hight.
I do not understand why.
When I print the parts to PDF, horns 1 & 2 are OK but the display for horn 3 is wrong.
Horn 3 is displayed on a staff with a F key as I wanted, but is transposed 1 octave up.
This is very Strange and I do not understand why.
I have attached here a link to the .notion file and the .pdf file of the score.
http://musicalis.monespace.net/dummy/
Can somebody help please. :)
by johncaruso6 on Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:28 pm
Hey, I have a question. Are the 3rd and 4th horns naturally preset to F as opposed to G or is there a way you can do that for individual instruments? Sorry I don't have an answer to your problem. But this is something I would like learn more about in Notion.
by davidlarson6 on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:19 pm
I assume we're talking about the G (treble) Clef, and F (bass) Clef here. It's common practice (but not generally correct) when writing for four horns to put them on a double (Grand) staff, with Horns 1&2 in the Treble Clef and Horns 3&4 in the Bass Clef. Properly, they should all be in the Treble Clef.

The range of the instrument spans both clefs, so horn players are used to reading either clef, but the normal rule is to notate the instrument in the Treble Clef.

The horn is a transposing instrument, so it sounds a fifth lower than its written part.

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1