9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi there, is it possible to create temlates by my own and when yes, how?
In Sibelius it´s called " House Styles "
Looking forward for answers
Roland
by jamalbee on Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:38 am
Hi,

You might want to read this post :

viewtopic.php?f=167&t=25554&p=140703&hilit=templates#p140703

I've already created my own templates, but they are very simple. I mean I just selected instruments from VST instruments because I compose for the recorder most essentially. I work on a Macbook Pro.

1.Open Notion and choose "New score"
2. Select as many instruments as you want, or if you're like me, any "VST instrument" you need
3. Hold the Command key and T to leave the score configuration page.
4. Hold both the Shift key, the Command key and S to save your file. Give it a name with a number above 18, for instance : 19 Renaissance Consort, and save it where you can easily get access to it. In my case : the Desktop. The number is optional but it will be easier to find your file in the templates menu.
5. Go to the Application folder, search for Notion 6 (or whatever version). Right click it and choose show package contents.
6. Double-click the contents folder. Search for the Ressources folder and double-click it.
7. Search for the Templates folder and double-click it.
8. Place the file you have just saved on your desktop in the Templates folder.
9. If you return to Notion and choose New from templates, you will realize that the file you've just added is not showing. So quit Notion and start the software again.
10. As you start again Notion, close the popping window and go to File, New from templates. Your newly created template should be there, at the end of the list, since it's been saved with number 19 (there are indeed 18 templates in my folder. For some reason, it may vary for you).

As I wrote, it's a quite simple template, but you might want to play around with the reverb or the mixer parameters as well as your own VSTs' settings too.

I hope it helped.
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:22 pm
Thanks so much for this post!

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by robertthompson1 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:20 pm
@ jamalbee: I agree thank you for this post.

MacBook Pro 15 in.  OSX El Capitan
Ver 10.11.6 Notion 5 Logic 9 other DAW's as well.
by sethstuckey on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:23 pm
I agree, too. Great post! You broke that down perfectly and made it super simple to follow.

Thanks!
by richardtocci1 on Sun May 03, 2020 2:55 pm
I did the following on Windows 10 64-bit. The procedure COULD be modified for other supported Windows versions and Notion versions besides Notion 6. My version is Notion 6.6 64-bit. Your mileage may vary.

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Notion 6\Support
2. Right click on the Templates folder, then go to Properties
3. Click on the Security tab.
4. Next to "To change permissions, click Edit", click on the Edit button with the shield.
NOTE: If you don't have the proper permissions under the Windows user you are currently logged in as, you may not get passed this part.
5. Find the group called Users in the list called "Group or user names" and click on it.
6. Place a check in the checkbox labeled Modify. Click Apply, then click OK.
7. Click OK to exit Templates Properties
8. Launch Notion. If you are already in Notion, close out and go back in. Create the score the way you want it.
9. Click File > Save As...
10. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Notion 6\Support\Templates
11. Create a filename for your template. Adding a number to the beginning of the filename is not required that I can tell, but I assume it's used to keep the templates list somewhat organized.
12. Save your file.
13. Exit Notion, then launch it again.
14. Click File > New from Template. You should see the template you created listed there along with all of the others.

Performing this procedure also allows you to DELETE files from this folder as well as create them. Proceed at your own risk: take a back up of the folder (copy it somewhere else, or use your favorite backup software in case you need to restore the files).

These directions are not anything official, and I take no responsibility for what you do to your own machine.
by markcameron1 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:50 pm
Awesome !! Thanks a bunch Jamalbee !!
by hieumai on Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:24 pm
jamalbee wroteHi,

You might want to read this post :

viewtopic.php?f=167&t=25554&p=140703&hilit=templates#p140703

I've already created my own templates, but they are very simple. I mean I just selected instruments from VST instruments because I compose for the recorder most essentially. I work on a Macbook Pro.

1.Open Notion and choose "New score"
2. Select as many instruments as you want, or if you're like me, any "VST instrument" you need
3. Hold the Command key and T to leave the score configuration page.
4. Hold both the Shift key, the Command key and S to save your file. Give it a name with a number above 18, for instance : 19 Renaissance Consort, and save it where you can easily get access to it. In my case : the Desktop. The number is optional but it will be easier to find your file in the templates menu.
5. Go to the Application folder, search for Notion 6 (or whatever version). Right click it and choose show package contents.
6. Double-click the contents folder. Search for the Ressources folder and double-click it.
7. Search for the Templates folder and double-click it.
8. Place the file you have just saved on your desktop in the Templates folder.
9. If you return to Notion and choose New from templates, you will realize that the file you've just added is not showing. So quit Notion and start the software again.
10. As you start again Notion, close the popping window and go to File, New from templates. Your newly created template should be there, at the end of the list, since it's been saved with number 19 (there are indeed 18 templates in my folder. For some reason, it may vary for you).

As I wrote, it's a quite simple template, but you might want to play around with the reverb or the mixer parameters as well as your own VSTs' settings too.

I hope it helped.

Thank you so much!
by Surf.Whammy on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:05 pm
This works, but remember that done this way your custom templates will be overwritten the next time you install an update to NOTION . . . :reading:

THOUGHTS

This is relatively easy to do on the Mac, but on the Mac the templates are stored in the macOS application package in the "Resources" subfolder . . .

Installing a new version or upgrade to NOTION on the Mac maps to installing a new NOTION application, which includes its factory-default macOS application package . . .

There are two solutions:

(1) Keep a separate copy of your user-defined custom template files, so you can re-add them after doing a new update or version installation.

(2) Keep your user-defined custom templates in a separate folder. In this solution, the NOTION score is opened from your template folder, and then you do a "Save As . . . " to create the new song based on the template.

Both ways work; and you can do both of them--just remember that they will not be in the macOS package after you do an update or version installation; so you need to copy and paste them from your stored copy . . .

For a while, I did it the first way; but it requires remembering that it needs to be updated after doing a new install of NOTON; so I switched to the second way . . .

Since I do everything in ReWire sessions where Studio One Professional is the ReWire host controller and NOTION is the ReWire helper device, I have user-defined custom templates for both applications . . .

On the Studio One Professional side, I have a "Basic Rhythm Section" template which is a ".song" file; and on the NOTION side, I have a similarly named NOTION score . . .

When I start working on a new song, I begin by starting Studio One Professional and opening the ".song" user-defined custom template for the "Basic Rhythm Section", which is save as a new ".song" with a meaningful name . . .

Then I open NOTION and do the same with the ".score" template . . .

I use a conceptual model based on an album having a consistent set of songs, all of which start with the same "Basic Rhythm Section"--drumkit, bass, rhythm guitars, synthesizer, lead guitars, and so forth . . .

This way, the primary instruments are the same for a set or album of songs . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

9 posts
Page 1 of 1