8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm trying to set a VST (Kontakt) to respond to a rule set with the setting of con sord. I believe I have the settings correct as they work when I set it to another command such as sul pont. But when I use con sord., Notion seems to read the rule as a reversion to "Main." Any idea what's going on?
by jamesbuhler on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:09 pm
Support has confirmed that Con Sord has a bug that means the "Con Sord" instruction on a score in Notion does not send an Action to Kontakt. If I understand the architecture of the Rule Sets correctly, it seems likely that this would affect other VSTs as well.
by kipcrawford on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:08 am
Have you considered substituting con sord.? If you are using key switches, you could consider using something else. In the Rules editor I have successfully utilized con sord (on my Kontakt Instrument) by using a flag of something else. Use the text feature in Notion and type Con Sord. above the note where it would start.

I do have a flag for con sord

2 rules: 1 to set the technique and the other to play the technique
by jamesbuhler on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:10 am
Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I have work arounds. I am using "technique is on with mute" to set the con sord flag and assign it to the Kontakt instrument keyswitch or channel (depending on how I set up the instrument(s) in Kontakt). I could also create a separate (hidden) staff and throw keyswitches there or manually make channel changes. I don't really want to pursue either of the latter options, though, because the whole point of trying out Notion was to improve some of the work flow of managing articulations through multiple channels and keyswitches in Studio One. (When I load all the articulations as separate instruments, I find working in the DAW is not particularly efficient.) But controlling the VST in Notion with hidden staves and/or manual channel changes doesn't make things much easier than working directly in piano roll in Studio One.

In general, I find Custom Rules are a bit frustrating, because there is limited documentation and so you never know whether something is not working because you have scripted incorrectly or because you have found a bug in the software.

Do you have a good strategy for calling whole step and half step trill patches from the score in Notion?

Thanks again!
by johnnewberry on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:18 am
Hello James and Kip.

In Notion, Con sord. is recognized or read by Notion as an -With mute- technique (argument) when using -Custom rules.-
    So, retain using Con sord. in the Notion score by using 'sord or select con sord. from the Notion Palette for placement
  into the score.
However, then set the rule "Conditions" parameter to the -With mute- technique.

Con sord. will then trigger an "Actions" response event.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by jamesbuhler on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:59 pm
Thanks! That is really most helpful. Since con sord was on the "technique is on" list, it didn't occur to me that the instruction in Notion would trigger the condition "with mute."

Do you have any idea what instruction in Notion triggers the half-step and whole-step trill conditions under "technique is under"? I really wish there was a master list that matched Notion instructions to the calls in custom rules.
by kipcrawford on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:41 pm
I believe there is a list either in the manual or in the knowledge base. I remember seeing the list. :?
by jamesbuhler on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:26 pm
Perhaps this is the list you saw: http://support.presonus.com/entries/553 ... r-Notion-5

What I'm looking for is a concordance between the notation in Notion and the calls in the custom rules. Many of them are obvious, of course, but there is, for instance, a number of trill types under "Condition: Technique is on..." that I can't match to any notation.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1