5 posts
Page 1 of 1
As I get the hang of understanding scripting and writing Custom rules I seem to have hit a stumbling block concerning slurs and multi voices on a staff.

This older post was extremely helpful
viewtopic.php?f=169&t=4458&p=22324&hilit=slurs#p22324

In utilizing the scripts that johnnewberry uploaded and taking the advice in tweaking the scripts I have been able to find a happy medium for my scores concerning slurs. However I may have found an anomaly if there is more than one voice on a staff. It would appear that the custom rule on "Slurred Attack"...

</rule>

<rule remark="Slurred attack" enabled="true">

<if condition="slurred-attack"/>

<velocity-change bump="10"/>

<duration-change amount="1.01"/>

<cc controller="64" value="0" type="note-on-suffix"/>

</rule>

...will only work on 1 voice at a time. I copied the music for Beethovens "Moonlight Sonata" and you definitely have to have more than one voice on the upper hand and then is some places within the score dual voices in the lower hand.

What happens is that while I have 1 voice that uses slurs (they work great) the other voice within the same staff plays clunky short notes (quarter note or longer) these notes are also slurred. Having looking through the rule sets, can a voice be assigned to it's own rule within a staff? On single voice staffs...the slur rules work very well. I might be missing something (very likely). If there's a trick to it...sure would like to know how. Thanks!!
by kipcrawford on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:56 pm
Bumping this up because I found the actual culprit:

It is the Pedal and Pedal Release markings within Notion that is causing my problem concerning the following note in the next bar:

I wrote earlier:

What happens is that while I have 1 voice that uses slurs (they work great) the other voice within the same staff plays clunky short notes (quarter note or longer) these notes are also slurred. Having looking through the rule sets, can a voice be assigned to it's own rule within a staff? On single voice staffs...the slur rules work very well. I might be missing something (very likely). If there's a trick to it...sure would like to know how. Thanks!!

This is NOT entirely accurate. Multiple voices on one staff makes absolutely no difference. I adjusted each slur rule to no avail. However, quite by accident, I removed one of the pedals/release pedal marking on a bar and I no longer get that klunky very short note. But the previous notes from the previous bar still sustains. Not desirable in some cases. If possible I will try to do a few screen captures to hopefully explain what is going on. Not sure if this is a Notion bug or just not having the rules tweaked correctly.
by johnnewberry on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:10 pm
The snippet of code above was an example starting point for use with the Aria "Garritan" player.
The Garritan player only excepts MIDI cc 64, -Sustain Pedal- for access to its legato sound methods.
Using the "Sustain Pedal" method will produce undesirable performance for most other VSTI's.
(the example code above, "value =0" represents the off state in its usage)
kipcrawford wrote It would appear that the custom rule on "Slurred Attack"...
will only work on 1 voice at a time.

Notion only displays "single note slurs" presently.
However, the slur has control over all of the voices within the slur events.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by kipcrawford on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:42 am
The snippet of code above was an example starting point for use with the Aria "Garritan" player.

Yeah...I realize that now. I deleted that part of the script. Didn't really make any difference I suppose. Still does what it does. My main concern is how the "slur" rules are behaving in Notion.

If I utilize Slurred release, under slur and slurred attack within my rule sets...as I mention before, one bar will perform the slurs correctly then on the next bar the first note is very short (like a clunk sound) then the following notes after that work fine within the slur parameters. I went into the custom rule editor and disabled each slur rule one at a time to try to isolate the culprit. Still had the short/clunk sound on that first note. When they were all disabled...then it stopped....but no slurs.

I messed with the "after-note on, before note off, etc on each....didn't notice anything different on either. Trying to get a handle on choosing the correct parameters for those. What exactly does "Under Slur" mean? I get the gist of Slur release and Slur attack and I must wonder if I need to select Condition is false for the others like:

Slur Release
Condition not True

and have

Slurred Attack
Condition True

and vice-versa.

Treat them like a Flag. It seems logical that to have one condition true the other should be false. If they are both true, wouldn't there be a conflict within the script? I'll keep messing with it. Get it eventually....I hope. Thanks for the help.

Note: I noticed the slurs will work on a grand staff, but as you said and I suspected...not on dual voices. Also I am wrong again....the Pedal and release pedal markings are part of the problem...depends on how the slur parameters are set as "Before Note on or After Note off"...etc.
by kipcrawford on Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:38 pm
Lot of crickets in this forum....oh well.

I have been using the Under Slur Condition and using the Action/Duration between 135% to 175% which, depending on the instrument, doesn't sound too bad. I do not utilize Slurred Attack or Slur Release.

</rule>

<rule remark="Under slur" enabled="true">

<if condition="under-slur"/>

<velocity-change bump="10"/> (this can be omitted)

<duration-change amount="1.50"/> (150%)

</rule>

When playing a bar with no slur, I get the expected sound of "no slur". Tried the CC64...it works, but not stable in my opinion.

Anyway I use certain percentages for certain instruments:

Strings section between 145-175%
Piano between 130-160% (I use NI Grandeur), so some different slurring is warranted.
Horns 120-160%
Woodwinds same as Horns.

Need to adjust to your liking. In strings, if I need a free flowing sound I will crank it up to 180%, if I need some definition, I will go as low as 135%.

Not the greatest thing...but it works.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1