13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I really like Addictive drums, but unfortunatelly, there are no custom rules to use it as a drum set with drum notation. And as I understand, there are no cutom custom rules even for the GM-compatible drum map :(.

Should I hope, that there will be any drum custom rules in the future, or there is any chance to have it in Notion ?
by jimmennell on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:02 am
This is a feature I would like too!!!
I've only recently started to use Notion and I see that it might be possible to create a custom rule set but suspect this could take a while...
by noelquinlan1 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:56 pm
Me too!
I am a dedicated Notion 5 user, and scoring does not leave any time to develop my own rules.
My wish for 2015 is rules for most virtual instruments, and I am prepared to pay :)
by johnnewberry on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:58 am
Is there anyone else that has "found" success with custom rules for AD Drums?
Anyone?

,Newberry

:arrow:
by johnnewberry on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:30 am
Please forgive me if I sound selfish. I'm sorry if you do not agree.
There haven't been many "if any" custom rules available online. That should explain my next sentence.
I consider my work on custom rule files to be similar to a cooking recipe, secret barbeque sauce or a winning race car setup.

The amount of time it's taken to make a complete set of rules for Addictive Drums and other vsti I use is drastic.
Granted they are not for an airplane or spaceship. However they are powerful in there use with Notion 5.

Imagine writing some music and if by chance (one) note or character is typed wrong the song won't play at all.
In an even more extreme way custom rules will have no effect if their syntax is broken.
I have been playing a guessing game for years about these.
I have now found the results I expect and the results that follow conventional music notation.

There currently isn't a way to distribute custom rules with a fair sense of security and protection of the work done creating them.
I wish there were a way to make these available "fairly".

,Newberry

by wcreed on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:20 pm
I guess Johnathan Loving faces the same issue with his Sibelius Sound Sets. I hope you'll consider offering your rule sets for sale. I'm sure many would be interested.

Bill Reed
Notion 6, Sibelius 8.4, Finale 25, Overture 5, Cubase 8.5
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM; iPad2; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
by johnnewberry on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:46 pm
I must say I'm surprised that "Sound Set Project" has not started doing this yet.

,Newberry

by jimmennell on Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:02 pm
As one of the people requesting a custom rule set for Addictive Drums I started looking into creating a rule set myself...

Basically I would say that this feature in Notion is very useful, relatively easy to use once you understand the basic idea of rules (if this - then do that, type of argument). Problem I had was the rules only work on playback and not during note input which is what I need.

More documentation here: http://support.presonus.com/entries/553 ... r-Notion-5

For what it's worth I attach the ruleset that I started working on for Addictive Drums but it's only a preliminary attempt, as I gave up on the project once I found out the rules only work on playback. It maps different snare hits to different notes: open snare / rimshot / sidestick.

I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong about the playback only issue :D

Attachments
Addictive Drums.prules
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
by johnnewberry on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:28 pm
jimmennell wrote Problem I had was the rules only work on playback and not during note input which is what I need.

From what I've found some rule statements are only active at runtime/playback.
Others may respond like a switch that must be turned on or off.

Knowing what the notation looks like for drums and what I can expect to hear at runtime minimizes any confusion for me while inputting notes.
In other words It works ok for me at this point.
I'm sure there are other Notion updates and fixes needed before going back over this one.

,Newberry

by johnnewberry on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:23 pm
wcreed wroteI hope you'll consider offering your rule sets for sale. I'm sure many would be interested.

As you know, Notion has changed there way of implementing rule files.
From a rules folder in the file root directory to the staff attachment method. And even the syntax itself has evolved.
All it would take is a Notion update and my work could be useless.

,Newberry

by martinkutschker on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:32 am
johnnewberry wroteI consider my work on custom rule files to be similar to a cooking recipe, secret barbeque sauce or a winning race car setup.

The amount of time it's taken to make a complete set of rules for Addictive Drums and other vsti I use is drastic.

So you suggest some kind of "app store" for custom rules? Ok, I'm not thrilled by the idea, but better paying for a 3rd party rule that works than waiting, probably in vain, for a new one by Presonus.

But may I add that the rules must come with the VSTi parameters. Otherwise they won't work.

Masi
by johnnewberry on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:13 pm
martinkutschker wrote
But may I add that the rules must come with the VSTi parameters. Otherwise they won't work.
Masi

Sorry if I don't understand.
Thank you for your mention and encouaragement to release these rulesets.
. I have other popular vsti's that I've mapped and tested..

As to your question about "parameters". In Notion 5 a vst's controllable "parameters" default settings change after a score is loaded and the play button is activated.
The parameters change if the notation matches a statement in the staff attached rules file.

,Newberry

by martinkutschker on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:26 am
In Notion 5 a vst's controllable "parameters" default settings change after a score is loaded and the play button is activated.

I mean the complete setup of the VSTi. Like how the patches are bound to keyswitches et al.

When Notion loads a built-in ruleset for a track it not only reads in the rules but sets up the VSTi. For VSL they made the presets available for download.

But that doesn't happen for your custom rules. So instead of distributingh a rules-file to import you have to distribute a Notion document wich contains tracks of the configured VSTs.

Not much of a problem if you want to share your setups for free. But a bummer for commercial 3rd partty rules. Presonus would have to provide a way to make these rules to appear in Notion like the built-in rules (or rather VST instrument mappings).

Masi

13 posts
Page 1 of 1