9 posts
Page 1 of 1
In switching back and forth between Notion instruments and Miroslav instruments, it seems that the rules for Miroslav instrument presets are very basic (for most instruments consisting only of rules for legato and staccato styles, but missing many of the other articulations that Notion instrument rules support). For example, flutter tonguing works with the Notion flute preset, but not the Miro flute preset. When I open the Miro flute preset, I see that flutter tongue is on channel 11, but the rules ignore that channel. I confirmed this by opening the Notion.app package and opening the Miro rules in an XML editor. As far as I know, with my limited Notion experience, my options are:

1 - Use the change instrument/channel feature to manually change channels in the Miro presets

2 - Create my own Miroslav rules

For option #1, I can get this to work sometimes, but not all of the time. When I use the Tools --> Use Instrument feature to select Flute channel 11, it works the first time. If I later use the same technique to switch to flutter tonguing again (on the same staff), it doesn't seem to switch to channel 11 and instead uses the default channel (even though "Flute (11)" appears over the note).

** this seems like a bug, is this a known issue?

For option #2, the Notion 5 manual doesn't go in-depth on the rules editor. I found a custom rule set for Miroslav on the old NotionMusic website (by elerouxx), but apparently it doesn't work with Notion 5. Questions on custom rules:

1 - Since there is little documentation in the Notion 5 manual, does the old "Custom Rules Instructions.pdf" for Notion v4 (from the old NotionMusic site) still apply to Notion 5?

2 - I was planning on contacting the author of the Miro custom rule set, then attempt to update his rule set for Notion 5, using the stock Notion 5 Miro rules as a guide. Is this a legitimate approach? Is there a better way?

@ ChrisS23, notion_admin, can you provide any insight into this?

Thank you!

Edit: I don't think the missing 2nd flutter tongue with MPK is a bug: seems as if a slur marking was canceling it out...

Notion 5 - Mac OS 10.13 - 2015 MacBook Pro 16gb RAM SSD - Miroslav Philharmonik 1/2 - SampleTank 3
by elerouxx on Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:21 pm
Hi!

Sadly I'm not here to really provide any help, but to apologize because I wrote the rules for Notion 3 and never updated them for Notion 4. Nor Notion 5.

I tried to import the rules to the Notion 5 rule editor, but got no luck.

Anyway, I think the rules in the file could be easily understood and modified to fit Notion 5. They used to work well in N3.

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
Win 10 i7 Desktop / Win 8.1 % Win 10 Surface Pro // Notion 6.3.454 64 bit
by craigsnoke on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:21 am
elerouxx wroteHi!

Sadly I'm not here to really provide any help, but to apologize because I wrote the rules for Notion 3 and never updated them for Notion 4. Nor Notion 5.

I tried to import the rules to the Notion 5 rule editor, but got no luck.

Anyway, I think the rules in the file could be easily understood and modified to fit Notion 5. They used to work well in N3.

No apology necessary! :) I plan on taking a shot at modifying the Miro rules for N5 after my current project is done. We'll see how it goes. Appreciate everything you did for the N3 rules.

Notion 5 - Mac OS 10.13 - 2015 MacBook Pro 16gb RAM SSD - Miroslav Philharmonik 1/2 - SampleTank 3
by jnosczentye on Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:30 am
The format should be the same, except N5 requires <rules> at the beginning right after <rule-set version="1"> and </rules> before </rule-set>. I don't know what the reason is for this, as at the moment I see no use for it, but try adding it to your rule file that worked in N3 and try to import it, I think it should work, but it's worth a try.
by elerouxx on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:57 pm
My rules for N3 are there for everyone. Translation should be easy, really, but I just don't have the time right now.

I enjoyed working on that rules. Most of the work was "translated" from the rules pcartwright wrote for GPO4. (Where's him in the new forums by the way?)

I did write one small contribution that was an experimental feature in which the Miroslav Mixed Choir would sing "spelling" the notes, by playing a different sample for every note (like DO, RE, MI... ). It was funny. Miroslav provides enough phonemes to make it work in some way - for me it was helpful to preview chorals - it created a dramatic playback in which it seems the Choir is really singing something. But i don't even remember how I managed to do this...

solfege_choir.mp3
(419.49 KiB) Downloaded 858 times

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by andrewpink on Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:18 pm
Hi
So did this get resolved…I am coming across the same issues with Miroslav and wondering if the older rules do import.

Also I'd love to have the sol-fa ability on the choir if it's available?

Thanks
by elerouxx on Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:36 pm
Ok! It was about time. I am working on the rules again, since I have an upcoming comission and I will use a lot the Miroslav Library for this one.

News very soon!

* I will put together the instrument presets, rules and also the sol-fa chorus.

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by elerouxx on Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:07 am
Posted them! on a new thread.

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by craigsnoke on Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:47 pm
Thank you Emilio great news!

9 posts
Page 1 of 1