8 posts
Page 1 of 1
If you have a favorite VSTi that you like to work with, chances are there are others out there that like the same ones. All Custom rules can be shared now by exporting them from the Custom Rules GUI that is built-in to Notion 5. Press Shift + Y to gain access to the Custom Rules that you have built, or the Custom Rules that you would like to import or export.

Create your own presets by saving the rules directly to your score and then exporting them into your file manager. You can recall them anytime you want.

The beauty of these rules is also in the fact that every rule can be simply and easily written to contour each instrument individually, based on the setup of the VSTi host and the instruments particular channel settings. Adjust Keyswitches, CC Data, and setup Presets directly with your instrument changes.

It is a truly wonderful way to work with Notion.

If you have a version of a Custom Rule that you would like to share with everyone, post custom rules here. If someone else creates a set for the same instrument, we can pick the ones we like the most and create a fabulous set of rules or user presets for a varied amount of instruments.

Here is a start, and though it may be a bit obscure, investigating the ruleset will give you good insight into how to write your own rulesets.

Warp IV Screaming Trumpet.prules
This is a Kontakt instrument in the Warp IV Brass set. The set is a fabulous set of Brass and has fairly good integration with Notion 5. You can also load it in Logic EXS 24, Kontakt, and Reason. This set of rules is for the Screaming Trumpet with the SIPS scripting turned on and set to Legato. They very smooth and rich on the high end. There are fluttertongue patches and scoops and doits, falls, and even shakes. These are setup in the Custom Rule that I am posting for you here. Even if you can't audition them, you can look at the rulesets, and get some great information about how to write your own Custom Rules.

Quick Tip: Labeling is important and so is the Enable Button for testing to see if a rule is working.
(13.14 KiB) Downloaded 803 times

-Admin
by dominiquefournival on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:50 am
Hello and I apologize for my English
but I'm french.
I fully understand how to operate the
personalized rules for the main articulation(legato-staccato-staccatissimo-etc...)
I use the instruments of the series of Eastwest Hollywood
but I do not use keyswitchs to customize my instruments.
I do not understand how to use them trill fluttertongue and other
because I would just be able to change MIDI channel
but nothing happens.
One is forced to use the buttons switches and therefore use of keyswitchs.
The trill appears on the menu of partition but not the fluttertongue and other.
how to integrate the long list of the technical in the partition.
I enclose one of my custom rules.

Attachments
Altos.prules
This is an example with multiple trials
I've done probably with errors
(4.28 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
by johnnewberry on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:10 am
An image from chapter 4 of the EW manual about keyswitching.
Flutter Tongue G#0
wwins_.JPG

,Newberry

:arrow:
by dominiquefournival on Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:21 am
Thanks for your answer.
this therefore means that without keyswitch
no way to use the different techniques without keyswitch.
And no unread symbols to directly activate
Since the software on the partition as the staccato etc ...?
by ansontoh on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:51 am
Hi there,
Would it be possible to publish a simple rule, say for VSL string instruments within Kontakt 5 with your "flag" examples incorporating a few articulations? This will be immensely useful for the rest of us still trying to get it right.
Best regards.
by waynerose1 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:08 am
Custom Rules Preset for NI Session Strings Pro in Kontakt 5 with Channel Switching

Session Strings Pro is a pop string writing package that offers two sample sets: Contemporary and Motown, for different writing styles.

Each instrument within the two packages provides three interfaces, for Production, Performance and a third interface called the Animator, which contains a selection of prewritten passages.

The instrument sets within each package are the same: Violins Violas, Cellos, Basses and Ensemble.

The most comprehensive access to the articulations available are in the Production interface for each instrument.

The articulations available in the Production interface are also the same for each instrument: six slots, each with a drop down menu accessing 29 articulations (techniques) and one "empty" articulation for turning that slot off.

The only difference from instrument to instrument is the note range in which the keyswitches occur, due to the sounding ranges of the instruments themselves. These prules sets are for Violins. The keyswitches would have to be modified in applying them to the other instruments.

This setup means that, while there is a wealth of articulations possible, only six are available at one time for use in your score. The way around this within Kontakt 5 is to instantiate two instances of SSP for the instrument you are using, and set them to different MIDI channels, that way accessing up to 12 articulations at a time (a third could be assigned to a third MIDI channel to access up to 18 articulations, but this is not necessary as several of the articulations available are variations on a theme, e.g., Spiccato, Spiccato Down, Spiccato Up, Fall Fast, Fall Slow, etc.).

Having done this, I wrote two prules sets, one for MIDI Channel 1 and one for MIDI Channel 2. The first contains six of the most common articulations, and the second six more exotic ones, all of which can be replaced or switched about in the prules editor, to suit the users requirements.

There was a slight problem finding precise score markings for the more exotic articulations, as none exist in Notion. I chose to use a variety of accents to do the job, which can be seen in the prules code.

Note that the keyswitches in the prules files are translated one octave lower in Kontakt 5 Session Strings Pro, i.e., C2 in prules is read as C1 by SSP. Changing the split point in Notion's preferences appears to make no difference as to how the MIDI out is read. I don't understand this, but it's important to know.

As a Notion newbie, I looked for the easiest method of changing MIDI channels on a single staff, i.e., using a single mixer channel. What I discovered is that by opening the Change Instruments dialog (Shift+i), it's possible to keep the instrument the same and only change the channel. You can then click OK and insert the channel change in the score. In this way, it's possilbe to change back and forth between MIDI Channels 1 and 2 on a single staff.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Enjoy!

Wayne

K5 SS Pro Ch1.prules
(2.69 KiB) Downloaded 499 times

K5 SS Pro Ch2.prules
(2.76 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
Last edited by waynerose1 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Pro 2.8 GHz 8-core (2008) 32 GB
iPad 4 9.7", iPad Pro 3 12.9"
Pro Tools 12, Studio One 5.5.2, Reaper, Melodyne 5
Sibelius 7.5, Notion 6.8.2
Focusrite LS56, Yamaha 01V96,
Pro Tools Control, Studio One Remote, Lemur
by elerouxx on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:10 pm
I'm migrating from Miroslav to Sampletank 3, and also migrating parts of my former Custom Rules.

This is a nice one to create realistic choirs using Miroslav Female / Male / Mixed Choir, given that you layer the right samples on a 'MULTI' either in Sampletank or in Miroslav's old (sampletank powered) interface.

This ruleset does two things:

1. When activating the 'custom sounds 1' on a staff (type apostrophe+"cs1" in notion), It spells the name of the notes (do...re...mi...) according to the written notes. The rule is aware of the staccato articulation so it will switch to the right staccato channel according to the note. (This could be useful for teaching, but I actually use it to imagine that the singers are actually singing something).

2. Regardless of 'custom sounds 1', the ruleset allow to make arbitrary channel changes by using the x1 to x16 techniques (type apostrophe+"x#" in notion). Simply apply the X(number) technique to a note and it will be played on that channel.

This second set of rules is very handy for simply switch channels on any VST, but I use it to simulate lyrics.

For the part 1 to work, you should layer the phonemes like in this image, either in Miroslav or in Sampletank (shown below):

choir layers.jpg

You can download the rules here:
Miroslav Choir Solfege.prules
(22.36 KiB) Downloaded 421 times

And this is the same old example of a bach chorale I rendered in Notion, using X1 to X16 techniques to choose phonemes that come close to the german lyrics.
phpBB [video]

Of course I don't intend perfection. There are expensive libraries that have complex word-building capabilities, along with the demanding much more tweaking, but I just don't want to compose by listening to Aahs and Oohs. Specially horrible when the choir sings repeating pitches (ah ah ah ah ah ah).

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
Win 10 i7 Desktop / Win 8.1 % Win 10 Surface Pro // Notion 6.3.454 64 bit
by ChrisS23 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:23 pm
Notion now has a new space to share presets - our new Community Presets space.
For more info, please see the topic here: viewtopic.php?f=169&t=27847

Product Manager - Notion
PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc.
http://www.presonus.com/products/notation-software

8 posts
Page 1 of 1