17 posts
Page 1 of 1
I finally updated the custom rules I made back in Notion 3, so they now work with Notion 4 and 5!

For Notion 4:
MIROSLAV_N4_RULES_AND_PRESETS_2015_06_08.rar
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 757 times

For Notion 5:
MIROSLAV_N5_RULES_AND_PRESETS_2015_06_08.rar
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 884 times

Please help me test and improve these rules.

I'm posting the original text from the old forums below, updated on 2015-06-08:

MIROSLAV PHILHARMONIK CUSTOM RULES

EDITED 2012.08.18
UPDATED 2015.06.08

After some time of tuning and tweaking the Miroslav library, I decided to put together a set of rules and presets for Miro. Changes are not so drastic, but the important thing is the implementation of more techniques and effects like glissandos and fluttertongue even in instruments that didn't had that particular recorded sample. For that matter, it wasn't enough just to code the rules, and most of the presets needed to be edited.

Strings and some winds (clarinet, brass) are able to do portamento-style glissandos, with or without tremolo / flutter. All strings have sordino and sul ponticello sounds. Articulation is more precise: staccatos under a slur aren't played as staccatos but as detaché / mezzo-staccato, end of slurs are slightly shorter and softer, and non-slur notes are slightly detaché, to improve phrasing, and dynamics were fine tuned.

To use the rules, it's necessary to replace the content of the folder:
(programs)/notion 4/support/PlugInData/PLK
with the PLK folder in the .rar file.

Download
Miro_Rules_and_presets_2012_08_18.rar
Miroslav Rules and Presets
(868.44 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
(See new link above)

Please, backup your current rules and presets before using these.
Also, thanks to pcartwright, dgriffee and Erufalion for their contribution to these forums . I'd be lost if it wasn't for their work on Rules.

USAGE:
The rules are pretty automatic. Only the Glissandos/portamento effects need some tweaking to work properly. And the special Mixed Choir.

HOW TO CREATE GLISSANDOS/SLIDES:
With these rules, instruments in Miroslav can play seamless glissandi (portamento) between two or more notes and at 3 different speeds. But In order to work, the following conditions are required:

-The notes must be linked by the Slide up or Slide Down lines, from the palette (shortcut "\") or by the GLISS. line.

-The LAST note of the two or more that are in 'glissando' has to have one of these techniques attached to it (of course the attachments can be hidden):
'slide' for quick slides.
'gliss. up' or 'gliss. down' for normal portamento
'gliss. up slow' or 'gliss. down slow' for slow portamento.

-The notes must overlap just a bit for portamento to work, so it's necessary to edit their durations by dragging the gray lines in the Sequencer Overlay - hit TAB to see it. (Actually, a realistic glide is achieved by antecipating the second note, otherwise the glissandi starts too late.)

Here you can see how to write the glissandi so they work:

glissando.jpg
glissando.jpg
glissando.jpg (22.71 KiB) Viewed 7003 times

NEW: SOLFEGE CHOIR
A split M/F choir that spells NOTE NAMES!

I edited the MIXED CHOIR preset and created rules so the Choir now can sing note names! I want to believe I thought about an educational tool and also a choir that sounds more realistic and dramatic by spelling different sylabes thru the melodies. And also as a better alternative to 'Vocal' for song writing. But the truth is that I did this for FUN!

To tell the choir to say the notes, you have to place a 'custom sounds 1' technique marking (done by typing Apostrophe then S and 1). Otherwise the Choir just sings 'Ah' as usual. You can use the 'normale' technique to 'turn off' note names anytime.

I will post more examples and images on next posts, due to 3 attachment limitation.

NEW (ON 2015-06-08)
QUICK CHANNEL SWITCHING

At the end of the rule set there is an additional rule (so it has priority over all rules). The extended techniques X01 to X16 cause the channel to change!

So, if you want that a particular note is played back to a specific channel, all you have to do is add the X01 (or X1 in notion 5) to the note via the Express entry (Apostroph + x + [number from 01 to 20] ).

This is useful so you can vary the playback using an alternative sound - or to force a specific articulation, overriding previous rules.

I made this with the purpose of being able to sing any of the Mixed Choir samples. More on this on next posts.

DETAILED LOG:
Here I provide detailed information on what was done with the original rules and presets.

BASS CLARINET FIXED :
-Fixed the absent Bass Clarinet problem by "hacking" a byte in the Bass Clarinet preset file!
[Note: previously, there was no Bass Clarinet, and there were 2 Clarinet presets in the Miroslav instrument list in Notion, because the instrument-id inside the file was set to 12004 (clarinet) instead of 12051. I didn't know how to fix it by other means .]

FRENCH HORN:
-A FF horn sample was set in channels 15 and 16, triggered by high velocities only, as a layer to brighten horn sounds in forte to fortissimo dynamics.

CLARINET TRILLS:
[Note: the Clarinet is the only Miroslav instrument that has both 1/2 and 1 step trills samples. All the other instruments have to do played trills]
-Added trill samples to channels 15 and 16 of the clarinet preset file. Had to Tune up the whole trill using the Miroslav interface tuning, because the starting note was 75 cents lowert a quarter tone lower. Maybe it has been expanded digitally.
-Added a rule to play the sampled trills (only on the clarinet).

TREMOLO / FLUTTERTONGUE
-Added channel 11 with digital tremolo effect to simulate tremolo/fluttertongue/roll to the following instrument presets: clarinet, bass clarinet, trombone, bass trombone, trombones, trumpet, trumpets, oboe, oboes, bassoon, english horn, bassoons. [*An LFO could be used in the future for more precise control of this tremolo]
-added channel 11 with Flute fluttertongue sound to the Piccolo preset.
-Added a rule to also play tremolo (switch to channel 11) when 'fluttertongue' technique is written on the score.

GLISSANDOS:
-Added channels 4 and 5 with Miroslav "legato" mode (for portamento), and mapped Portamento (Gliss) control to CC20 in those channels, to the following instrument presets: clarinet, bass clarinet, trombone, bass trombone, violin, viola, violas, violoncello, cellos, contrabass, double basses, clarinets, trombones, trumpet, tuba, fr. horn, trumpets
-Channel 5 was created in most instruments for tremolo/flutter glissando. Again, added a digital tremolo effect to the channel if no tremolo/flutter sample was available.
-Added rules to play portamento (for clarinet, strings and brass glissandos and timpani glides). Rules may work with any instrument that can do slides as far as the channels 4 and 5 are set up in the presets.

PHRASING / ARTICULATION:
Added rule to shorten and soften notes at the end of slur. This works fine to separate phrases, breaths and bows. (Thanks dgriffee for his work on the general phrasing rules).
Added rules to play staccato under slur as detaché/mezzo-staccato. [note: in most instruments, slurred staccato means mezzo-staccato. In bowed strings it means detaché notes using a single bow stroke. This rule works fine in all cases]
Added rules to play non-slurred note as detaché, reducing its duration a little.

MORE STRING TECHNIQUES:
Added channels 12 (mute) and 13 (mute staccato) with the best possible sounds to all string instruments.
Added channels 14 (sul ponte) and 15 (sul ponte tremolo) with the best possible sounds to the strings.
**If no mute or ponticello sample existed, a normal sound was equalized to simulate these techniques.

FURTHER NOTES AND MIROSLAV LIMITATIONS:
Octave transposition in instruments like Piccolo, Double Bass, Tuba, etc. isn't working right away, even with the original rules and presets. The octave transposition is set correctly in the Staff Settings dialog, but it only takes effect is the user opens and closes the dialog. I don't know how to fix it.
Viola doesn't have a looped tremolo but a sound was created using an effect. Timpani doesn't have a looped roll, only crescendo short rolls, and the tremolo effect doesn't work in this case.

-Emilio Le Roux

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
Win 10 i7 Desktop / Win 8.1 % Win 10 Surface Pro // Notion 6.3.454 64 bit
by elerouxx on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:43 pm
This is an example of the techniques implemented on these custom rules.
In this case I added a Mixed Choir and a Cello, then edited the Mixed Choir settings so it is just a staff with treble clef, which I am using to replace a Soprano voice for a piece.

techniques voice cello.png

TECHNIQUES.mp3
(532.21 KiB) Downloaded 836 times

Of course all these 'slide', 'gliss. up', 'x1 to x16' markings can be hidden but I left them visible to better explain how they work.

With 'custom sounds 1', the voice starts spelling the notes. But, with the extended techniques X1 to X16, the voice will sing thru that specific channel. I do this to sing repeated notes with different phonemes, like in measure 9 of the example.

This is how channels in the Mixed Choir are configured for these rules:

miroslav_mixed_choir_channels.png

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by elerouxx on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:59 pm
Here's another example, in a more tonal context...

I transcribed this Bach chorale using a Mixed Choir.

mixed_choir_bach.png

mixed_choir.mp3
(423.07 KiB) Downloaded 812 times

As you can listen, the first part is played back without the "Solfege" (Custom Sounds 1). So it's just the Aah choir sound.

From measure 2 on, custom sounds 1 is activated, so the Mixed Choir spells the notes. I think the effect is great to add a little more realism than just an Aaaah choir. But if you pay attention, each voice sings a different phoneme on every chord. If these phonemes were lyrics, each voice would be singing a different lyric.

From the second phrase on (measure 4) I turn off custom sounds 1 (by inserting normale) and use specific X8, X4, X7 techniques and so on, as to simulate as close as possible the vowels on the lyrics.

That would be all for now.

I want to say that, even with lots of high quality libraries out there, I always come back to Miroslav, which despite being a little old, it's cheap, often on sale, it's lightweight, easy to install and extremely versatile. It still sounds very good at a fraction of other libraries' footprints, and makes it easy to quickly make drafts of music ideas. Of course, if one's aim is realism, there are better options - but for just a pleasant emulation of musical ideas that will eventually be played by real musicians, it does a lot. I will continue to support Miroslav Philharmonik as long as I can.

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by drumlogik808 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:15 am
elerouxx wroteI finally updated the custom rules I made back in Notion 3, so they now work with Notion 4 and 5!

Wait... how is this possible? The Miroslav Philharmonik app is a 32 bit app. Notion 5 is 64 bit. How can you get Miroslav working in Notion 5? Are you using some sort of bridge?

Mac mini (Server, late 2012) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM, (2011) Macbook Pro 15" 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 & 10.10.3, Notion 5.1, Sibelius 7.5.1, Logic 10.1.1
by elerouxx on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:08 am
drumlogik808 wrote
elerouxx wroteI finally updated the custom rules I made back in Notion 3, so they now work with Notion 4 and 5!

Wait... how is this possible? The Miroslav Philharmonik app is a 32 bit app. Notion 5 is 64 bit. How can you get Miroslav working in Notion 5? Are you using some sort of bridge?

Notion 5 is a 64 AND 32 bit app. I use the 32 bit version because I need far more the compatibility with instruments and plugins than any feature or extra power the 64 bit will suppossedly give me. I don't reach any limits in the 32 bits so far, so I figured I could go on. Also, Notion 5 doesn't like my Microsoft Surface, so I use Notion 4 a lot when on-the-go.

Now, if Notion bridged 32 bit plugins internally like so many 64-bit applications do, it would be great. I tried JBridge once but I didn't feel like spending my energy in managing the mess across computers, so I decided to stick with the 32 bit versions of Notion 4 and 5.

I confess that, with the 64-bit awe, I kind of neglected Miroslav. But then, there's no replacement for it so far, it's old yes, but still a very good all-round, economic and light orchestral library, while others are either expensive, or weak, or HUGE. Take Garritan for instance - there was a lot of discussion and comparison some years ago between it and Miroslav. Finale adopted it as standard. I even bought GPO4 but was never able to put together some convincing music with it. I am not saying Miroslav is hiper-realistic, but it can play a convincing demo to good-willing ears, while Garritan sounds a lot more like Microsoft Windows Midi.

And because of its small footprint, I can carry Miroslav inside a windows tablet like the Surface. So back it is, to Miroslav and to 32 bits.

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by elerouxx on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:15 am
Ah yes, I found it so funny to mess with 'lyrics' that I put together the whole Bach Chorale :)

phpBB [video]

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by drumlogik808 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:33 pm
elerouxx wroteNotion 5 is a 64 AND 32 bit app.

I did not know that, thanks for clearing this up. Now it does make sense. I don't think Miroslav alone is enough for me to go back to 32 bit since I love using my Kontakt instruments. But who knows... I might give it a whirl. Thanks again :thumbup:

Mac mini (Server, late 2012) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM, (2011) Macbook Pro 15" 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 & 10.10.3, Notion 5.1, Sibelius 7.5.1, Logic 10.1.1
by kmlandre on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:05 am
elerouxx wroteAh yes, I found it so funny to mess with 'lyrics' that I put together the whole Bach Chorale :)

phpBB [video]

Nicely done!

Kurt
by kmlandre on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:13 am
drumlogik808 wrote
elerouxx wroteNotion 5 is a 64 AND 32 bit app.

I did not know that, thanks for clearing this up. Now it does make sense. I don't think Miroslav alone is enough for me to go back to 32 bit since I love using my Kontakt instruments. But who knows... I might give it a whirl. Thanks again :thumbup:

I use it with jBridge on my Windows box. There's a limit to how many full-blown Miroslav instruments (meaning with all available articulations), but it works quite handily for bringing in a variant trumpet or layering various string sections.

This an older piece (and needs some serious work in terms of the mix), but it was done in 64bit and has quite a few mixed Notion/Miroslav instruments:

phpBB [audio]

Kurt
by elerouxx on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:41 am
This an older piece (and needs some serious work in terms of the mix), but it was done in 64bit and has quite a few mixed Notion/Miroslav instruments:

phpBB [audio]

Kurt[/quote]

Beautiful!

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by composerman1 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:47 pm
I'm curious, how do I have the Miroslav Choir "sing" the lyrics? If you are able to provide a quick tutorial that would be great. Your example is really good!

Thanks,

Troy
by aduki on Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:34 am
Thanks for this Elerouxx...still on 32bit with Miroslav here when on my Macbook and your rules help.
by elerouxx on Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:23 pm
Sorry to take almost a year to reply on this thread.

In order to the Mixed Choir to sing syllabes, you have to use the techniques 'X01' to 'x16'.
Actually, this 'technique' will switch the channel for the note that is marqued with this technique.

If you right click on a staff and 'Open Plug-in Interface', you can see the channels that are configured on the Miroslav interface. The X techniques correspond to these channels.

In other words, a note with a X01 on it will play an Aaaaah, X04 will play a Re portat, and x11 will play a Re staccato. You can build fake lyrics using these phonemes.

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by kipcrawford on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:15 pm
From your older post:

HOW TO CREATE GLISSANDOS/SLIDES:
With these rules, instruments in Miroslav can play seamless glissandi (portamento) between two or more notes and at 3 different speeds. But In order to work, the following conditions are required:

-The notes must be linked by the Slide up or Slide Down lines, from the palette (shortcut "\") or by the GLISS. line.

-The LAST note of the two or more that are in 'glissando' has to have one of these techniques attached to it (of course the attachments can be hidden):
'slide' for quick slides.
'gliss. up' or 'gliss. down' for normal portamento
'gliss. up slow' or 'gliss. down slow' for slow portamento.

-The notes must overlap just a bit for portamento to work, so it's necessary to edit their durations by dragging the gray lines in the Sequencer Overlay - hit TAB to see it. (Actually, a realistic glide is achieved by antecipating the second note, otherwise the glissandi starts too late.)

This is a gem! Even without rules, this method of creating and actually controlling glissando/portamento is great. Exactly what I was needing. Also, some of the rules you have stated here will work on other instruments as well. Thank you!!
by elerouxx on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:18 pm
hey guys, to anyone interested, I'm sharing some bits of the former rules in the pinned custom rules announcement. I just shared the choir solfege / lyric simulator there, since I am now using Sampletank3 along with the Miroslav imported instruments.

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by elerouxx on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:24 pm
elerouxx wrotehey guys, to anyone interested, I'm sharing some bits of the former rules in the pinned custom rules announcement. I just shared the choir solfege / lyric simulator there, since I am now using Sampletank3 along with the Miroslav imported instruments.

(I gave up trying to use the old Miroslav interface. It forced me to either use Jbridge or run Notion-32, and to open Notion as administrator, which was the source of all kind of crashes. I replaced it with the free version of IK Sampletank3 which is 64-bit native, can import all Miro instruments with a single click and is much more efficient than the very old sampletank-based interface. And also, I don't find it fair to spend more money in Miroslav 2, nor is Notion ready for it out of the box).

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by craigsnoke on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:37 pm
(I gave up trying to use the old Miroslav interface. It forced me to either use Jbridge or run Notion-32, and to open Notion as administrator, which was the source of all kind of crashes. I replaced it with the free version of IK Sampletank3 which is 64-bit native, can import all Miro instruments with a single click and is much more efficient than the very old sampletank-based interface. And also, I don't find it fair to spend more money in Miroslav 2, nor is Notion ready for it out of the box).

Hello @elerouxx - I realize this is an old post but I'm hoping you can clarify something. Are you saying the Miroslav 1 custom rules work with Miroslav 1 sounds imported into and played from Sampletank 3? I'm in the same boat where I no longer have any interest in running 32-bit or jbridge any longer.

I own Miro 1 & 2, but have found no information on how to create custom rules for Miro 2 (not sure if it's even possible), so if it's possible to use Miro 1 custom rules with Miro 1/Sampletank 3, that would be great news.

Notion 5 - Mac OS 10.13 - 2015 MacBook Pro 16gb RAM SSD - Miroslav Philharmonik 1/2 - SampleTank 3

17 posts
Page 1 of 1