5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Have the ability to enter parameters (1,2,3, etc. note durations) in the use of the fermata to hold notes, especially at end of passage and movements. This would allow more realistic feel for trying methods of endings - which sometimes can be hard to perceive.. As it is now does not lend itself to playback and can only be used for direction on live directed playing.
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:58 pm
douglascook wroteHave the ability to enter parameters (1,2,3, etc. note durations) in the use of the fermata to hold notes, especially at end of passage and movements. This would allow more realistic feel for trying methods of endings - which sometimes can be hard to perceive.. As it is now does not lend itself to playback and can only be used for direction on live directed playing.

The fermata currently does just what you're asking for in the Notion desktop version. If you place a fermata and double click it, you can enter the number of notes (in quarter note durations) that the note will be held. This applies to notes or rests.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you place fermata in the same location on notes in multiple staves (consistent with standard notation) you have to make sure all the fermata are set to hold the same duration of quarter notes. For the purposes of recording/performing, I usually place a fermata only on one staff. It then holds the entered duration for all staves. Notion currently doesn't support different timing information for different staves.

Michael

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
macOS Catalina 10.15 with small AOC monitor for additional display
2 - 500 gb + 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by douglascook on Sun May 17, 2015 5:47 am
Thank you, I see the hold ability for a fermata is there. I just didn't catch it in the documentation.
by thorrild on Mon May 18, 2015 6:19 am
michaelmyers1 wrote
douglascook wroteOne thing to keep in mind is that if you place fermata in the same location on notes in multiple staves (consistent with standard notation) you have to make sure all the fermata are set to hold the same duration of quarter notes.

This is incorrect. You only need to enter duration on one fermata in the measure stack in order for it to work on all staves.
It is also worth mentioning that fermata durations can be expressed in any note value, not just quarters. Just type in the abbreviation you already use to click-enter notes in a staff: w, h, q, e, s, t, and so on. The duration need not be a whole number; it can be a decimal, as for example, 3.14156e.

The same playback control is available for caesura, tenuto and breath mark. Read about it in the User Guide, pages 10.24 through 10.27.

Sometimes fermatas and such don't behave the way they should during simple playback. To ensure complete, consistent control over their behavior, add an NTempo staff and play your score in performance mode by tapping letter keys on your typewriter keyboard. If you use an NTempo staff, the fermata's duration must be entered there, or it won't be recognized at all.

Best,
Thorrild

27" iMac 2016; OS 10.12.6
13" MacBook Pro 2017 OS 10.12.6
by michaelmyers1 on Tue May 19, 2015 7:02 pm
thorrild wroteThis is incorrect. You only need to enter duration on one fermata in the measure stack in order for it to work on all staves.

Thanks Thorrild, I stand corrected. I'll have to play with it a little more.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
macOS Catalina 10.15 with small AOC monitor for additional display
2 - 500 gb + 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com

5 posts
Page 1 of 1