7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I often use the possibility to add more instruments to a staff, assigning them to different voices, to reduce the number of staves in a score (see attachment).

Recently I used the same techniques to assign twice the same string to a staff, reducing the volume of 6dB each, to simulate divisi (see attachment).

I would like to have two indications (i.e. 'unison' and 'divisi') to:
    apply a single voice notation to all voices (instruments) assigned to the staff (unison),
    interrupt the previous behaviour and return to the standard multi-voice notation (divisi).

This will simplify a lot inserting phrases sounding in unison, just typing them once (single voice).

Thank you,

Claudio

Attachments
img2.png
Strings staves.
img1.png
Multi-instruments staves
Last edited by claudiorosati on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by johnnewberry on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:22 pm
I'm currently working on achieving this. I've added "divisi" to Notion 5.
With "divisi, tutti and unison expressions active in Notion a Custom rule can be used in a variety of ways to do this type of orchestration i.e. using key-switches, channel-change, controllers etc., etc...

divisi & tutti.PNG
divisi & tutti.PNG (3.86 KiB) Viewed 5740 times

Currently 95% done. Almost ,almost there...
And will work with ReWire when done.

,Newberry
by georgesgondard1 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:34 pm
Very cool, thank You for the update !
by johnnewberry on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:56 am
A ReWire+MIDI session screen-shot of Notion 5 and Studio One professional doing a section of music.
Using one staff both "Divisi" and "Tutti" symbols are used with a melody line.
Custom rule coding changes the MIDI channel back and forth from "Tutti" and "Divisi".
(At present there are extra hidden symbols attached to each note that were needed to make this work until I can get flags or whatever to work as hoped for.)

This is an mp3 audio clip to go with the image below.
Divisi & Tutti test loop.mp3
(838.68 KiB) Downloaded 271 times

RW divisi&tutti test loop_.png

,Newberry

:arrow:
by michaelmyers1 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:54 pm
John, great that you're doing that, but I agree with the OP. It would be nice to have an OOTB technique for divisi and unison just as Claudio describes it functioning.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
macOS Catalina 10.15 with small AOC monitor for additional display
2 - 500 gb + 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by johnnewberry on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:14 pm
That would make things really simple and nice.

It would be very nice if the developers could add that.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by claudiorosati on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:29 pm
I want to add a bit to the discussion.

I quote an answer from the NOTION support in relation to this post:

The custom rules are for use with external VST instruments that are loaded via the VST Instrument family of instruments in Score Setup. These rules will not work with the Notion instruments.

That means, being I'm just using the NOTION sounds, I cannot use custom rules to handle tutti/divisi.

Moreover my request is a bit more subtle, and is related to single part printing, because:

• When you are using a multi-instrument staff, tutti (or unison) must not only play the single written voice to all instruments assigned to the staff, but the notation must also appear on each instrument's single part.
  • When, instead, this technique is used with strings, then no "separated" parts should be generated.

Probably implementing my suggestion will require one or more parameters on the staff's Notation Tab to indicate how single parts must be handled.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1