11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Apologies if this has already been requested (I saw a similar request for scripting and I'm pretty sure this was requested in the old forum), but I think opening Notion to allow other developers access to certain functions, objects, etc., would be a benefit to the Notion product for several reasons:

Users adept at programming could implement solutions for feature requests already supplied in the forum which are not in scope for Presonus/Notion's development team

Programmers could create custom VST and VSTi plugins that leverage native Notion functionality

Programmers could more tightly integrate Notion's MIDI with other audio applications (think of a more robust rewire-type solution)

I'm sure there are other benefits available with open API, but I think it would help the Notion community overall.
by martinkutschker on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:53 am
custom VST and VSTi plugins

VST and VSTi is an API developed by Steinberg. Anyone may already create VST effects and VSTi instruments for VST hosts like Notion.

As for other APIs, there has been requests for a (high-level) scipting API to manipulate the score (eg add or alter notes, articluations and bars). Which is IMHO a reasonable request given that there are free JavaScript engines available (with generous licenses):

https://code.google.com/p/v8/
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... iderMonkey
http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/JavaScriptCore

Adding a JS API will probably attract quite a number of programmers as JS is easy for everyone and manipluationg a score should be rather starightforward.

OTOH, I don't see chances for a C/C++ API that touches internals of Notion like ReWire or the playback engine. This will be way too complicated for anyone involved. Defining and maintaing an API is not easy (binding resources of Presonus) and I doubt many programmers will spend time to fiddle with a low-level API you're asking for.

Masi
by Lawrence on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:42 am
Big :thumbup: for any software.

If I were on the design committee of any new product I'd be there lobbying for a user accessible and public API from day one. The proof of concept has been definitely proven to be of great benefit over and over in things like Sony Vegas, Reaper, Corel Draw and just about anything by Microsoft.
by phillipcartwright on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:17 pm
martinkutschker wroteThis will be way too complicated for anyone involved. Defining and maintaing an API is not easy (binding resources of Presonus) and I doubt many programmers will spend time to fiddle with a low-level API you're asking for.

I disagree. As the post above notes, many end-user applications benefited from the programming/creativity of its user base. There is really no reason to not have an API these days.
by phillipcartwright on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:22 pm
martinkutschker wroteVST and VSTi is an API developed by Steinberg. Anyone may already create VST effects and VSTi instruments for VST hosts like Notion.

Yes, I know, but imagine what could be done if a VST could call the lower level functions and variables of Notion.

As an example, below is a link to a VST created for Reaper which leverages Reaper's API extensively. This sort of VST wouldn't function without Reaper's API.

http://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/
by martinkutschker on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:53 pm
phillipcartwright wroteAs an example, below is a link to a VST created for Reaper which leverages Reaper's API extensively. This sort of VST wouldn't function without Reaper's API.

http://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/

Interesting. I've never seen a VST instrument/effect written for a single host only. Somehow defeats the idea of a standardized API.

Anyway, I agree that any API to extend a programs functionality is fine. But given that the users of Notion cannot even be bothered to write their own rule sets now that they have a UI, why should anyone of them write an extension/plugin for Notion that requires real programming skills and probably much more time on hand? Yes I know, many VSTs are complicated and writing a convincing ruleset is not so easy as it may seem at first. So I doubt that the effort to create a working and maintaining a stable API is worth the possible results.

Masi
by phillipcartwright on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:33 pm
I write my own rulesets... I don't always share them (for a variety of reasons), but I think it's a bit much to assume that Notion users don't use the feature. Maybe people on the forum gripe about writing their own rules (I don't know, I haven't been that involved in the Notion forum for several years), but it's possible that users that don't frequent the forum use the feature.
by johnnewberry on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:37 pm
martinkutschker wrote But given that the users of Notion cannot even be bothered to write their own rule sets now that they have a UI, why should anyone of them write an extension/plugin for Notion that requires real programming skills and probably much more time on hand?

Masi

I'm willing to bet that most Notion users want to focus on there music compositional studies and ideas.
Not electronic music and the programing aspects involved with instrument design and programing.

My first MIDI instrument was an 1985 Casio CZ-101. I don't want to spend that amount of time dialing in instrument patches and sounds.

The only reason I use custom rules is to get the vst's I like to work with conventional music notation.
If that were not the case I'd go back to using a piano-roll editing window like Studio One has.

In Studio One each property of a vsti is recognized and can be selected from a list which can then be automated on the timeline.

To me Notion software is close to a happy medium in allowing instrument control yet staying close to the purpose of composition using conventional notation.

We all would like more; however, more is not better all the time. Adding Integration with other software seems to be a better approach IMO.

ReWire and the older Time-Code methods work in bridging tools together well.
I don't really want an massive do it all type of music application.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by claudiorosati on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:45 pm
I vote too for a NOTION API.
I'm more interested in writing orchestration aid tools.
Personally I don't like JS language, but it will be better than nothing.

Claudio
by phillipcartwright on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:48 pm
martinkutschker wroteInteresting. I've never seen a VST instrument/effect written for a single host only. Somehow defeats the idea of a standardized API.

I think it's a creative solution to add a feature that many people wanted.

I also think publishing and maintaining an API (and marketing that feature) is something that would appeal to a lot of potential users.

Not sure what Presonus thinks of APIs for their products. It seems there must be a closed API at least for there to be downloadable extensions.
by phillipcartwright on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:52 pm
johnnewberry wroteTo me Notion software is close to a happy medium in allowing instrument control yet staying close to the purpose of composition using conventional notation.

We all would like more; however, more is not better all the time. Adding Integration with other software seems to be a better approach IMO.

ReWire and the older Time-Code methods work in bridging tools together well.
I don't really want an massive do it all type of music application.

I agree in part. But will Notion ever integrate any closer with other software beyond Rewire? Possibly with Studio One (a logical conclusion). Ideally, you would want a DAW and Notion to be able to share MIDI data. That is, notes, hairpins, etc, show up as MIDI data in the DAW and changes to the DAW impact the notation in Notion.

An open API could (depending on functions and variables exposed) could allow a programmer to do just that.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1