4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Please add Aftertouch to the Custom Rules data base.
Notion 5 does not record, recognize or transmit Aftertouch data.

Adding it to the Custom Rules instruction list of "Conditions and Actions" would be a welcomed addition.
Many vsti and MIDI instruments use this type of data to manipulate and set parameters that change there sound.
Some instruments like the ARIA Player for the Garritan COMB (Concert and Marching Band 2) ,GPO , JABB and World Instruments do not have an option to change what controls its "vibrato intensity".
They only respond to "Aftertouch" for a particular use.

Without "vibrato" the Garritan libraries are very limited in ability to
express music in a convincing way.
Other vsti's have to be programed to workaround Notion 5 aftertouch limitations which is a bottle neck during creative moments.

I can't imagine adding "Aftertouch" to Notion 5 would be that detailed or complex. Please consider its addition in a near future update to Notion software.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by martinkutschker on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:14 am
There are quote a lot of MIDI messages that Notion does not support:

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php

I don't have the Garritan libary so may question may not make sense to you, but how would sending a single aftertouch message via the rules would help you? Doesn't aftertouch like CC expression? Ie a sequence of messages makes up a curve of swelling aftertouch/expression.

Masi
by johnnewberry on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:51 pm
martinkutschker wrote , but how would sending a single aftertouch message via the rules would help you? Doesn't aftertouch like CC expression? Ie a sequence of messages makes up a curve of swelling aftertouch/expression.
Masi

Only (1) one event is needed to set most types of properties like the Garritan vibrato property.

Monophonic-Aftertouch has a range of values from 0-127.
For the Garritan libraries the settings could be:

-Non-vibrato - "aftertouch"=0 (sustained continuous static pitch).
    -For vibrato "aftertouch"=32.
    -For molto vibrato "aftertouch=64."

I mentioned previously that without MIDI Aftertouch Notion 5 cannot control the Garritan vibrato.
There is no vibrato at all.
Image if someone spoke with a mono-tone without any expression at all.
To me without vibrato a vst is almost unbearably boring unless its a percussion or drum sound. Even then the need for variation or the potential for variation is essential in the hope of an expressive sounding instrument.

Anyway, the Garritan sound libraries are not very expressive without vibrato. Both Garritan and Notion have not fully followed common standards.

An even more powerful extension of this is "Polyphonic-Afterthouch".
With "Polyphonic-Aftertouch" each note from 0-127 has its own range of aftertouch values of 0-127.
I'm not sure right now but I believe that's somewhere around 16,384 possible different values or settings.

The grid of values in the Polyphonic Aftertouch environment offer lots of possibilities in terms of control over Notion, vst's, external MIDI devices etc., etc.. when creating and using Custom Rules.

As I said, only (1) value is needed to set a parameter of a property.

After-touch is one (1) property and a value setting that's keeping the use of Garritan and Notion from using the important expression of vibrato.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by martinkutschker on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:21 am
Only (1) one event is needed to set most types of properties like the Garritan vibrato property.

So it's used somewhat like the sustain pedal which

a) has also many values but for a piano only two states are used (or here three),

and b) which also not supported by Notion.

And yes, you're right, sending Channel Aftertouch per rule makes sense for a Garritan like scenario.

Masi

4 posts
Page 1 of 1