7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I think it could be a great idea fretboard for violin, viola, and cello! It will work as an instrumentation guide in action! :-)
by elerouxx on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:25 pm
You can already add a fretboard to any string instrument. You just have to tell Notion what is the tuning of the strings .- go to staff setings.

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
Win 10 i7 Desktop / Win 8.1 % Win 10 Surface Pro // Notion 6.3.454 64 bit
by elerouxx on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:00 pm
Er... that is, i USED to use this feature in Notion 4.

Where is the string tuning in Notion 5 for string instruments? Custom tunings not allowed anymore?

I have a bad feeling...

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by ChrisS23 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:03 am
Hi, for the tuning/capo, go to the palette - it's in the guitar techniques box (the 7th one along). You can use the fretboard to enter for any instrument - to set up for violin, just use four of the strings and retune them. -Chris

Product Manager - Notion
PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc.
http://www.presonus.com/products/notation-software
by rubenstubenchlak1 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:13 am
Hmmm Ok I have found the way... But the note G2 is also showing in the fretboard at the string D3... It is a bug or something wrong I am still doing?
by elerouxx on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:34 pm
ChrisS23 wroteHi, for the tuning/capo, go to the palette - it's in the guitar techniques box (the 7th one along). You can use the fretboard to enter for any instrument - to set up for violin, just use four of the strings and retune them. -Chris

Thanks for your reply on this!

I am using the Windows version, 32-bit, and I find that this feature is very buggy.

When I apply this 'Capo/tuning' to a violin, the dialog shows up with a 6-string tuning, and it won't me enter less than 6 string notes. Still, the tablature shows up as one line (one string). Then, the fretboard shows all 6 strings - and if I use it to enter notes, the notation gets messy, with numbers on imaginary string lines of the tablature.

The fretboard shows all 6 strings and the notation gets messy as I use this fretboard to position notes.

However, I can set a 4-string tablature in Notion 4, and it will work fine when opened in Notion 5. Notion knows where to store the initial tuning and number of strings of an instrument, but that place seems out of reach to set up in Notion 5.

In the attachment, I show a violin that was set up in Notion 4, and below that a cello that was set in Notion 5 (with a 1-string tablature and messy numbers).

bad_tabs.jpg

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by gerarddelassus1 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:50 pm
Hi Emilio,

I have the same buggy behaviour with this feature :

viewtopic.php?f=167&t=1540

The "use instrument" feature can do the job but that's rather cumbersome.

I found a better solution : set up the instrument in Notion 4, then save and place the file in Notion 5 template folder (attention, you must run N4 as administrator to have the right to do that).
But it works only if you have Notion 4, of course...

And it's only a workaround...
So, please devs, give us that feature back in N5 !

GD
PC Casawave Core i5@3.40GHz - 8Gb RAM
W7-64-SP1 Home Premium
Focusrite 6i6 interface - Studiologic SL990pro keyboard
Reaper 6
https://hearthis.at/xnwdv7yv/

7 posts
Page 1 of 1