3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Notion 5 does not seem to be able to tie non-adjacent notes which is a very common thing to do on the piano. Like when you play individual notes the sequentially build to a chord but the entire chord is not played all at once. Or when a single note is held while other intermediate notes are played between them. Either Finalist can't do it, or I can't figure out how to get Finalist to do it. What I need to do is in the upper image. I used photoshop to add the ties I need. The best Finalist could do is shown in the bottom half of the image Image
by jamesclymer on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:51 pm
Please substitute Notion 5 everywhere you see the word Finalist in the previous post. I worked with a piece of software named Finalist for years and I was thinking "Finale" while I was writing the request
The last two lines should read Either Notion can't do it, or I can't figure out how to get Notion to do it. What I need to do is in the upper image. I used photoshop to add the ties I need. The best Notion could do is shown in the bottom half of the image.

To further clarify - This additional image may clarify the problem . I can force Notion to playback an arpeggiated chord correctly by writing it as it appears on the first line, without resorting to multiple voices, but the correct way to notate this chord is shown on the second line. Similarly the bottom line of the image below shows another type of hold that appears in piano music all the time but Notion simply will not notate it correctly. The EC chord is played and then the F G A G F eighth notes are play while the EC chord continues to sound. At the end of the passage, the second occurrence of the EC chord is not struck again. Notion simply will not tie the two E C chords together. In order to force Notion to play the passage correctly you have to write it as shown on the right side of the bottom line, which is just plain wrong. Image
by martinkutschker on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:40 pm
Did you try multi-voice notation as workaround? You'll probably end up with a number of extra rests that you have to hide.

But if I read the score correctly the issue is not that the notes are not adjacent. In your example notes are clearly missing. It is not three eights that are tied, but a dotted quarter, a quarter and an eight.

Masi

3 posts
Page 1 of 1