11 posts
Page 1 of 1
As of right now, there is no way (that I know of) to make a functional crescendo with a VST plugin. Making a hairpin from p to ffff for example does almost nothing. This would ALL be fixed if there was a possibility to draw expression MIDI data by hand. Recording it is too clumsy and I hate recording.

The only thing forcing me to go to Cubase is the inability to make a bleep crescendo/diminuendo in my score (unless I want to use the Notion instruments, which I DO NOT, except for Jazz maybe)

This is severely limiting and it probably isn't the hardest feature to implement, seeing how Notion already handles a lot of MIDI VST stuff.

After all, what—JUST WHAT—is orchestral music without smooth dynamic changes? This basically renders your VST support all but useless.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------

Also another thing that annoys me quite often is how the camera jumps around if you add a note at the end of the page. I don't understand what the point of that is, but it's very annoying to try and keep up with the camera that jumps all over the place. Or well, actually I think it's the page that jumps around. The autoscroll with the continuous view is even worse, btw. It's so bad that I can't even use that viewmode. It skips ahead by the time the playback cursor reaches halfway of the screen.......

Having these fixed would make this software pretty damn perfect to me.
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:39 pm
The hairpins work flawlessly with all of my VST instruments; VSL, Kontakt 5, and UVI.

That said, +1 for drawing curves!

People have been asking for that for a long time...

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by janiukkonen on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:01 am
michaelmyers1 wroteThe hairpins work flawlessly with all of my VST instruments; VSL, Kontakt 5, and UVI.

That said, +1 for drawing curves!

People have been asking for that for a long time...

Ok, could you please tell me how?

What I get is this:

phpBB [video]

Only the Notion instrument responds properly to the hairpin.

It's as if the expression value isn't affected enough to have any effect on Play and Kontakt, while the Notion instruments require less steep of an expression curve to change the volume or something.

Now, I would not be complaining if I could draw my own expression curve. The current version, however, does not allow this, so I'm completely beep and unable to make a crescendo/decrescendo.
by michaelmyers1 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:09 am
I've never used play, so I can't weigh in on how the hairpins work with EWQL instruments. What instrument are you using with Kontakt?

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by janiukkonen on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:07 pm
Session Horns

I've used many VST and I never EVER got a crescendo work with any VST at all.
by johnnewberry on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:42 pm
Jani, have you changed the Session Horns settings to allow It to be controlled by MIDI Controller Change #11 ?

Below is a segment from the Native Instruments User Manual for the Session Horns.

5.3.1 Dynamic Control
Here you can select one of two available methods (Velocity or Expression) to control the SESSION
HORNS dynamics.

Velocity
► If you select this option, you control the dynamics by playing the keys on your controller
keyboard harder or softer (i.e. with more or less velocity).

Expression
► If you select this option, you control the dynamics by using MIDI Controller Change #11
(CC#11). Use this mode for dynamic changes that should occur after you have pressed
the keys. One common use for this controller type is to generate crescendos or decrescendos.
Note that the Velocity switch articulation is still available here. It can be activated as
usual by pressing the keys harder.

• Also! - what EWQL instruments are you using. And what version of the "Play" vsti host are you using?

,Newberry

:arrow:
by johnnewberry on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:28 pm
janiukkonen wrote Making a hairpin from p to ffff for example does almost nothing.

Some 3rd party VSTI don't respond to dynamic control the same way as Notion instruments when the dynamics of a group of "tied-notes" changes from low to high levels. Others VSTI do.
  For example VSTI from Sample Modeling respond to and projects their full dynamic range in Notion - even if the MIDI note-on velocity = 0 - when Expression cc#11 is increased to 127 or ffff.

But for VSTI's that don't respond in this way something that may help is to increase the first notes velocity to near or even all the way to 127 when going dynamically from p> ffff etc..
Similar to the example image below.
This is a compromise because the (p) may also not start out low enough if the velocity is set too high. This is just an alternative but again, has limits as to its effectiveness.

Without a note-on "Velocity" of 127 , some VSTI's [EDIT] DCA "digital controlled amplifier" and or its DCF "digital controlled filter (or tone)" control levels may not be opened all the way to there maximum using only cc#11 Expression exclusively.
  So, even if Notion moves the dynamic up from p to ffff, the vsti will only produce the "velocity dynamic" of the first note "in a group of "tied notes".

Using Custom Rules allows a few other schemes to deal with this when using 3rd party VSTI.
The Notion Ruleset Editor default level for p is an velocity of 60. And, pppp=0 as in the example image above. However, there are a few schemes possible when custom rules are used.

Anyway!, add me as another in favor of your "Feature Request" Jani to "Draw Expression Curves" onto Notion staves.

,Newberry

Last edited by johnnewberry on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by wcreed on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:24 am
When you say Play, do you mean EWQLSO? If so, you need to use the "lite" patches. If not, there are no custom rules unless you've created them.

Bill Reed
Notion 6, Dorico, StaffPad, Overture , Studio One, Cubase
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM; iPad2; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Forster 190
by johnnewberry on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:43 pm
wcreed wroteWhen you say Play, do you mean EWQLSO?

Hi Bill.
Yes. And the East West "PLAY" version 4.3.0 is the most recent VSTI version from EW.
  PLAY is the VSTI sample host for the East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra.
(I'm using the Platinum version of the EWQLSO.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wcreed wrote If so, you need to use the "lite" patches.

"FULL" patches (Notion created instrument presets) from the EWQLSO library can be loaded into Notion from the Score Setup Window.
The FULL array of (single) instrument samples is loaded into a single instance of "PLAY" populating all MIDI channels 1-16 of a single PLAY instance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wcreed wrote If not, there are no custom rules unless you've created them.

The Notion created ruleset -EWQL_Platinum.prules- is used by default when loading from the preset list -EWQL Symphonic Orchestra (FULL) instrument in Score Setup.

- However, Custom rulesets can be used if the "PLAY" host is loaded as a generic VSTI in the Score Setup Window.

,Newberry

by wcreed on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:29 pm
Hi John, I was actually addressing the Op, if he's still around

Bill Reed
Notion 6, Dorico, StaffPad, Overture , Studio One, Cubase
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM; iPad2; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Forster 190
by janiukkonen on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:58 pm
Thanks for the tips, I'll try it out soon.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1